Hey, I needed a new amp, right now I have a raven 20 i think and a metalcore boss pedal. Now I am getting better and need better gear, I play metalcore-posthardcore (A day to remember, August Burns Red, etc etc). I was looking at the peavy vypyr 75 or 30. Are these good for my genera and are there any that are better?
I just got my blackstar ht-5h and a blackheart 112 cab for about 450$.

I'm loving it and play everything from trivium, testament to all that remains and pantera on my rg1570 w/ bkp aftermaths.
Good metal tones, half decent cleans. Added an overdrive and now even get a pretty sweet solo tone outta the beast. Kills my old voxvt30 and my buddys vypyr30 (which has been very problematic).

Maybe someone else can suggest better, but for under 500$ and tube amp, I think I did well.
Quote by StateFarmsThere
I just got my blackstar ht-5h and a blackheart 112 cab for about 450$.

I'm loving it and play everything from trivium, testament to all that remains and pantera on my rg1570 w/ bkp aftermaths.
Good metal tones, half decent cleans. Added an overdrive and now even get a pretty sweet solo tone outta the beast. Kills my old voxvt30 and my buddys vypyr30 (which has been very problematic).

Maybe someone else can suggest better, but for under 500$ and tube amp, I think I did well.

so that would be good for what i play? and so that amp wouldnt be good
Yes. It would be good. Also the peavey vypyr would be okay, its got a variety of high gain models and many built in effects. I have seen quite a few brought back with problems, but many many more that sell and never have an issue. Its like 1/100 that have issues and even then you can always trade it in. The big difference here is tube vs solid state, nothing beats an tube amp cranked to break up then overdriven.

If youre still relatively new to playing and cant hear the difference, get a peavey vypyr or roland cube. They will get you instant good tones and you can add a multitude of effects without buying pedals.
Quote by StateFarmsThere
Yes. It would be good. Also the peavey vypyr would be okay, its got a variety of high gain models and many built in effects. I have seen quite a few brought back with problems, but many many more that sell and never have an issue. Its like 1/100 that have issues and even then you can always trade it in. The big difference here is tube vs solid state, nothing beats an tube amp cranked to break up then overdriven.

If youre still relatively new to playing and cant hear the difference, get a peavey vypyr or roland cube. They will get you instant good tones and you can add a multitude of effects without buying pedals.

thanks for the help dude, one last thing are these it

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackheart-BH112-1X12-Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet-104792403-i1374788.gc?esid=blackheart+112+cab#

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/blackstar-ht-series-ht-5h-5w-tube-guitar-amp-head
Yep, thats it. I got my ht-5h during a sale so it was a bit cheaper.
There should be boxing day sales here tommorrow and various sales after, so keep your eyes open!
For $500, get a used Peavey 6505+ combo. It will absolutely crap all over that Blackstar for the tones you want.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
A 5 Watt amp is useless for anything but home playing no matter how good its tones are. If you expect to play oiut or jam with a band you'll need more wattage. I once had a beautiful 70's blackface Fender that was about 15W and it couldn't cut it with a drummer, so despite the great tone, it had to go as I could only afford one amp at a time back then. The I went to a Fender Twin (100W) and it was too much for anything but live playing, so these days I stick to the 15-40W range.
Those small low wattage tube amps (<5W) do give great sound but are really for people who can afford more than one amplifier, allowing the low watt one to be left for home use only.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Dec 26, 2011,
Quote by StateFarmsThere
Personal opinion. The 112 sounds like shit.

Ha! You're talking to the biggest 112 hater out there. But it would still easily put the HT-5 to shame for the sounds that TS wants.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i just played with a drummer with a roland jazz chorus on like 2. what kinda drummers do you guys play with? tell them to take it easy lol.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A