As in, do they really help your tone and to cut through the mix? My friend is thinking of getting the BOSS Bass EQ GEB-7. And then maybe an overdrive for his bass too.

Any opinions?
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~
Depends on what he wants to do and what eq options are built into his amp. "Cutting through" is contextual based on the band set up, but most of the time it requires a mid boost in the right range--any amp with a mid knob and a mid frequency select (knob or switch) can probably get that job done on its own.

An EQ pedal will give you more tonal variety (unless there's already a 7 or 10 band graphic eq already built into the amp), but I'd say they're unnecessary for most people.
I think if you do need one you probably really need a new amp, because you must be dissatisfied with its tone. Or, you have one of those 5 watter tube amps with volume only and need to actually make a tone.

Other people use them such as the mxr version as a boost, and put the pedals gain up, then can during a song put a big mid or high boost on and cut through.

I think it makes most sense in the form of a 10+ band EQ on a rack setup where it's more of an extension of a preamp.

Over all as dust said, a little amp knob fiddling will usually take the need away, if you feel you need one to cut, consider a louder amp with a preamp you your liking as well.
i forgot to mention, he'll probably be playing straight into a PA
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~
If he's going straight into the PA, i recco most PA have settings in them which fiddling with can make the tone to cut through the mix. But if you guys are having problems with him doing it then get it since he has no amp, or even if you get to nail the tone straight into the PA you can always use the EQ pedal to quickly change what's going on and change an atmosphere in a song instead of going up and changing all your setting altogether, i treat my EQ pedal as having a second channel to make a quick lead sound change into a mellow deep rhythm, find it faster to step on a pedal than switching pickups sometimes, then i switch pickups depending on other sounds i'm looking for.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
The only time I've used them is with other pedals, to make up for lost low or high end. They're sometimes useful but remember that there's one stuck to the amp.