Hello and merry christmas to all of you! I am wondering what route I should go to get a heavier sound from my amp. I have a basswood guitar with EMG 81/85 in it, a 120 watt Peavey tube head and 412 Peavey cab, but I can only get my tone to go as far as like rust in peace- ish (Megadeth). I like that but also want a death metal/ modern metal tone. Something like old cannibal corpse or Machine Head, or just a thicker, bassier, tight brutal distortion. The tones I like come mainly from guys who use dual rectifiers, but I dont have the money for that SO recommend things like pedals, guitar woods, anything really. Thanks

EDIT: forgot to mention I have an Ultra plus head, and a valveking 412. My pedalboard is empty except for a footswitch and a chorus pedal.
Last edited by pburrier at Dec 25, 2011,
Id say work on your clean tone first. Try to get your notes crystal clear and long without distortion. Thats how Akerfelt gets such a thick sound. I find too many guitarists rely solely on amps for tone rather than the sound of the guitar itself.
Quote by corrda00
Id say work on your clean tone first. Try to get your notes crystal clear and long without distortion. Thats how Akerfelt gets such a thick sound. I find too many guitarists rely solely on amps for tone rather than the sound of the guitar itself.

I cant say I do a whole lotta clean amp playing but I play unplugged much more than thru an amp if that counts!
...you can't get a metal tone out of an Ultra+? Maybe a Valveking, but...

Get a tubescreamer, possibly a noise-gate (and a tuner if you don't have one, for good measure). Definitely a new cab - either get a Mesa, or get a Carvin/Avatar 2/4x12 with V30s. I'd also dump your pick-ups, but that's more of a personal thing.

For a nice bassy tone, try gain around 11 o'clock, mids cranked to 2-4 o'clockish, bass cranked, treble to taste. This is a pretty common "modern metal" dropped tuning sound, and will cut through the mix beautifully.

What are your amp settings now? If you say "bass 10 mids 2 treble 7" i'm going to jump through the computer and beat the living shit out of you
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
...you can't get a metal tone out of an Ultra+? Maybe a Valveking, but...

Get a tubescreamer, possibly a noise-gate (and a tuner if you don't have one, for good measure). Definitely a new cab - either get a Mesa, or get a Carvin/Avatar 2/4x12 with V30s. I'd also dump your pick-ups, but that's more of a personal thing.

For a nice bassy tone, try gain around 11 o'clock, mids cranked to 2-4 o'clockish, bass cranked, treble to taste. This is a pretty common "modern metal" dropped tuning sound, and will cut through the mix beautifully.

What are your amp settings now? If you say "bass 10 mids 2 treble 7" i'm going to jump through the computer and beat the living shit out of you

i am not sure, but last time i checked, there was more than one speaker, not just the V30.

K100'S, t75's, and lots of eminence speakers (which i do not feel the need to type out a list) too that sound pretty nice.

i am not bashing V30's you should look in other places. i have at least 12 V30's in different cabs in my studio some British some newer, they sound great with a lot of amps.

i am just encouraging you to look into different speakers, there are tons of comparisons all over the internet, just look into it. there is a chance your favorite will be a V30, and thats great, the best thing is you know that it is the one you liked best, not just the speaker everybody in the world recommends.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am not sure, but last time i checked, there was more than one speaker, not just the V30.

K100'S, t75's, and lots of eminence speakers (which i do not feel the need to type out a list) too that sound pretty nice.

i am not bashing V30's you should look in other places. i have at least 12 V30's in different cabs in my studio some British some newer, they sound great with a lot of amps.

i am just encouraging you to look into different speakers, there are tons of comparisons all over the internet, just look into it. there is a chance your favorite will be a V30, and thats great, the best thing is you know that it is the one you liked best, not just the speaker everybody in the world recommends.

Oh, I know, but the standard is the V30 - it's kinda hard to go wrong with them, especially for metal. They're a good point of reference to where he wants to go once he has some proper speakers to figure out if he likes the tone of them or not.

Plus, Carvin is selling a 2x12 for $250+90 to switch out the speakers for V30s, and 400+135 for a 4x12 (plus shipping and tax ofc).

I could say the same thing about your Mesa recommendation - "everybody likes Mesa, what about Orange?" - but when it comes down to preference, it's usually best to have a common ground to work on.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
V30 are gross for your amplifier, IMHO.

You probably only need a TS808, or similiar, boost, and better ears.

I play Frantic Disembowelment on a Rebel 30 at the store... it's all in how you use it.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by corrda00
This.

Learn to play with less gain. Pick harder, use thicker strings, and get better pickups. You do not need a shitload of gain for any form metal, at all. With a Peavey Ultra you should be able to play anything. If you are having trouble getting a metal tone out of a Peavey Ultra, then it's you, not your amp.

Valveking cabs are pretty shitty, but that doesn't stop you from getting a heavy sound out of your setup.
Okay everyone, I said I need a DEATH METAL tone not a metal tone I already nailed that. As far as speakers, would it be better to load my vk cab with good speakers or buy a whole new cab? I pick very hard and use strings so thick I can barely bend them I need more bass and thickness in my metal tone but my bass is cranked in the eq.
P.S. I do not NEED hi gain for metal but I CHOOSE to use it because it sounds f****** amazing to me!
MOAR MIDS (a little to taste).

Try playing with a bass player now and then, it makes ou sound SOOOOOO brutal.

As far as thickness, well, you could try backing the gain back and boosting with like a modded MT-2 or Barber Dirty Bomb, but really a lot of the thickness comes from the studio.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
really a lot of the thickness comes from the studio.
This is true. Guys like Nile, The Faceless, Gojira, don't get massive tone from using a shitload of gain, but layering multiple tracks. Adding more gain just adds fuzz, hiss, and an army of bees.

I honestly think you are doing something wrong. I was able to get death metal easily out of a Peavey XXX (essentially the same as your Ultra) going into a cheapass Line 6 cabinet. And a shitload gain to your tone doesn't make you sound "fucking amazing," it makes you sound like a 13 year old kid at guitar center with a BC Rich Warlock and Line 6 Spider.
od pedal
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I hate UG sometimes.

TS - a Tubescreamer type pedal will help a lot. An EQ pedal in the FX loop wiil also give you significantly more control over your tone.

But ultimately, it's about having the right tools for the job. I don't think the Ultra is a good amp for what you want - it just doesn't have the right voicing. I recommend selling it, and saving up for a regular 5150/6505 head.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
But ultimately, it's about having the right tools for the job. I don't think the Ultra is a good amp for what you want - it just doesn't have the right voicing. I recommend selling it, and saving up for a regular 5150/6505 head.

Noob!
Quote by pburrier
Okay everyone, I said I need a DEATH METAL tone not a metal tone I already nailed that. As far as speakers, would it be better to load my vk cab with good speakers or buy a whole new cab? I pick very hard and use strings so thick I can barely bend them I need more bass and thickness in my metal tone but my bass is cranked in the eq.
P.S. I do not NEED hi gain for metal but I CHOOSE to use it because it sounds f****** amazing to me!

The Valveking cab is not a horrible design, but the speakers are awful. So yeah, you might be able to get away with changing the speakers for better ones. V-30's don't pack a whole lot of bass end, so you may want to look at some different speakers, maybe a Emenince Man O War or something, something with more low end to them, especially if you are pushing your lows hard.

You may also benefit from a EQ pedal to help you fine tune your tone, and maybe add some more low end to your tone. In this case, a OD might not help with low end, but it will get you a much better, tighter metal tone.
Quote by Offworld92
I hate UG sometimes.

TS - a Tubescreamer type pedal will help a lot. An EQ pedal in the FX loop wiil also give you significantly more control over your tone.

i thought the ultra was the precursor to the xxx and had a ton of gain?

never actually tried one, though, so i might be wrong...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i thought the ultra was the precursor to the xxx and had a ton of gain?

never actually tried one, though, so i might be wrong...

It is the precursor, yes, but it was less gain than the XXX. The XXX is based almost entirely on the Ultra, but they're not really the same amp. The Ultra is even more vintage sounding than the XXX. Neither one is really a "heavy" sounding amp, in the way "heavy" is described in this decade. It can nail thrash and 80's/90's metal, but it doesn't have the brootz in the way the 6505 does. Yes, the XXX can sound heavy as shit in a studio setting, but your live sound is way different than what sounds you can get out of an amp in a studio.

My $0.02.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Hail
Oh, I know, but the standard is the V30 - it's kinda hard to go wrong with them, especially for metal. They're a good point of reference to where he wants to go once he has some proper speakers to figure out if he likes the tone of them or not.

Plus, Carvin is selling a 2x12 for $250+90 to switch out the speakers for V30s, and 400+135 for a 4x12 (plus shipping and tax ofc).

I could say the same thing about your Mesa recommendation - "everybody likes Mesa, what about Orange?" - but when it comes down to preference, it's usually best to have a common ground to work on.

well i am saying to buy informed.

if you were to look at my studio, you would see 12 V30, (i counted this time) 8 K85/K100, 11 T75's, 2 EVH signature Celestions, a 15" Eminence Legend.

i have Orange cabs, a Mesa cab, a Randall cab (the good one), a peavey cab or two (80's), an Avatar cab, a low end Kustom cab, two 1x12's will be completed next weekend, as well as a 2x12" if i have the time.

i have tried TONS of amp/speaker switching around with different amps, combos (two sets of two in a 4x12"), its not hard to log onto youtube or netmusicians.org and just listen to the tone.

i am not up with what all of the smaller cab companies charge for different speakers in their cabs, but at one point when i did look into avatar, they gave you a decent amount of options, and IIRC i dont think there were big upcharges, if any at all for some.

what i personally would suggest in a lot of scenarios would be a V30/K100 x patterned. it sounds massive. the K100's give you a little more on the lower end, doesn't have as big of of a mid peak as the V30's do. they compliment each other quite well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Scratch everything else, let's start at the utter basics and work our way up the chain.

How loud are you playing this amp?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Offworld92
It is the precursor, yes, but it was less gain than the XXX. The XXX is based almost entirely on the Ultra, but they're not really the same amp. The Ultra is even more vintage sounding than the XXX. Neither one is really a "heavy" sounding amp, in the way "heavy" is described in this decade. It can nail thrash and 80's/90's metal, but it doesn't have the brootz in the way the 6505 does. Yes, the XXX can sound heavy as shit in a studio setting, but your live sound is way different than what sounds you can get out of an amp in a studio.

My $0.02.

ah ok, yeah i know what you mean (i've tried the xxx ok)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Depends on what you mean by death metal really. Brutal shit like CC, maybe not, but it'll pull off Cryptopsy/Necrophagist with ease!