I have a fender deluxe DM 40 watt tube amp. How much should you spend on replacement tubes in all when the times comes? do you have to replace both the pre amp and the power tubes?
When a power amp tube dies (or you want to change them) you need to change all of them (and they need to be a matched set). Preamp tubes can be changed one by one and mixed and matched.

As for price, you get what you pay for. I'd take 2 Winged C 6L6's for power tubes and whatever preamp tubes you want.
When I replace my tubes it is usually because of failure. If a power tube or preamp tube goes bad I retube the entire amp. Don't buy NOS tubes...I don't see spending a crazy amount of money on tubes for a hairs difference in tone as reasonable. You should spend around $75 to retube that amp. $35ish for a pair of power tubes and between $10-15 per preamp tube. How many pre amp tubes does your amp have?
Quote by Tyler.Allain
When I replace my tubes it is usually because of failure. If a power tube or preamp tube goes bad I retube the entire amp. Don't buy NOS tubes...I don't see spending a crazy amount of money on tubes for a hairs difference in tone as reasonable. You should spend around $75 to retube that amp. $35ish for a pair of power tubes and between $10-15 per preamp tube. How many pre amp tubes does your amp have?

This, normally costs me $75 to retube my Valveking with pretty decent tubes.
Quote by Tyler.Allain

2 pre amp and 2 power tube
Quote by Tyler.Allain

Retubing your entire amp when one (or two) tubes fail is a waste of money to be honest. Also, don't underestimate the difference a nice set of tubes can make in an amp, because it can be massive.

As for NOS tubes, it really depends on the tube. Some NOS tubes are bother special, while others are pretty great (cough JAN Phillips cough). However, with NOS, the chances of getting a bad tube are usually much higher.
My gigging amp and my Champ are running nothing but NOS tubes and I paid no more than $20 each on Ebay. Sure I got a few lemons but with patient watching of Ebay I've scored some great tubes cheap. Good NOS preamp tubes can last 20 or 30 years so your chances of getting one that will outlast a modern tube is pretty good. I have some in my Abbey that are 30 year old or more and still going strong.

Power tubes. SED if you can afford them, JJ if you can't. However, I have two British Brimar 6L6's in my Abbey that I scored for about $20 each off Ebay and they are stunning.

Watch the skies ......... errrr Ebay.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Tyler.Allain
I should specify if the tubes are somewhat new...6 months old or less and a preamp tube goes I just replace the preamp tube. Or if a power tube goes I just replace the pair. However I find that one tube will go bad after 1+ years of consistence use. That's when I say time to get a fresh set.

Tubes can last as long as 4 years or longer. As long as they're microphonic free and sound fine, no reason to replace them. If I had a tube that went bad in 6 months to a year I would consider it a dud tube.