Currently I have a Vox AC30. It's a great amp, but I noticed that when using an OD to push the amp, it just sounds way to overdriven. I can't get a good modern rock distortion sound so I'm considering a new amp, but am not quite sure what would get me what I'm looking for.

Budget: Maximum is $1000. That's the absolute limit, but of course the less money I have to spend the better.

Genre: I play modern rock/punk/post hardcore but also play a lot of funk and dabble with cleans. Favorite guitarists/bands include John Frusciante & RHCP, U2, Blink 182, A Day to Remember, the Devil Wears Prada, Underoath. I could list more but I think you get the idea.

New or Used: I'll go either, honestly. However, I don't live near any cities with decent craigslists.

Home or Gig: I'll be gigging and jamming at home.

Closest City: I live in southeastern Alaska and I'm totally surrounded by water. Anything that comes into here has to be shipped (meaning shipping is usually upwards of $150 for heavy stuff). I troll craigslist here quite frequently and rarely does anything ever come up.

Current Gear: Check my sig.

Anyway, let me know if any additional information will help. I'd be glad to provide it.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
If you want to head more in a punkish direction, a JCM900 SL-X would do you good
If you're going more for balls out rock a JCM800
Going way heavier look for a 6505+, XXX, JSX, or a V3.
Also look into a JCA 50.
With the exception of the JCM you should be able to find all of these for around $600 max which leaves plenty for shipping.
Turn the gain down on the OD?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by ticktockboom
If you want to head more in a punkish direction, a JCM900 SL-X would do you good
If you're going more for balls out rock a JCM800
Going way heavier look for a 6505+, XXX, JSX, or a V3.
Also look into a JCA 50.
With the exception of the JCM you should be able to find all of these for around $600 max which leaves plenty for shipping.

I suppose I forgot to mention, I'd also like to have nice cleans as well. Do any of those have good clean settings?

I should also mention that I don't have a cab, so I'd need to factor a good cab/speaker setup included in the $1000 limit.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
i would pick up a second amp and run them in stereo. you dont like how gain gets to gritty on the ac30 and use it for cleans, and buy a second with the OD you are looking for.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would pick up a second amp and run them in stereo. you dont like how gain gets to gritty on the ac30 and use it for cleans, and buy a second with the OD you are looking for.

Eh I wasn't looking to drop another thousand on another amp. I would use the money gained from selling the AC30 to buy another amp.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Seriously. Just turn down the OD.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by soul.power
I suppose I forgot to mention, I'd also like to have nice cleans as well. Do any of those have good clean settings?

I should also mention that I don't have a cab, so I'd need to factor a good cab/speaker setup included in the $1000 limit.

6505+ has some pretty sterile cleans in my own opinion, its more for the brootz. XXX and JSX are however negotiable, and a V3 I'm pretty sure if he's talking about Carvin amps is way outa your budget. Those Marshalls I'm pretty sure will get you the tone and versatility your looking for, but in order to stay under a grand you might have to find a combo lying around for cheap somewhere.

Do you prefer stacks or is a combo okay with you? Bugera might be a nice option for you if you can't find an XXX (I'd say that should be your first choice), and go with a 333xl. Some Randalls might be good also but you'd really have to look around for a good one within that price range.
Quote by Eppicurt
Seriously. Just turn down the OD.

Just do this. The AC30 is a beautiful amp and a better job at equing and getting rid of some of the gain might be your solution.

Also I am sorry for Sarah Palin.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Peavey XXX/3120, particularly, or Carvin V3 would be right up your alley. Theycan both be found quite cheap if you're willing to go used. Versatile, highly useable cleans and more gain than you would need. Otherwise, you may want to look at some Egnater amps (Renegade, the bigger Tweakers come to mind). They could do metal with the appropriate boost/pickups
Y'all don't say that