I'm stuck with these pickups d activator standard, x, x2n. I recently bought a new guitar and im planning to change the pickups both neck and bridge. I play mostly metal and i want a thick sound on my bridge i want the lows to shine adn for my neck i want a clean s0und. Which would i put on my neck and bridge pups? Please help
I hear the X2N's get really muddy, not sure about the other two.
I would recommend a Crunch Lab for the bridge, excellent pickup for what you're looking for.
As for the neck, I always say go for an Air Norton, they come in singles or humbuckers. Clean-up nicely and they give you really fluid sounding leads.
The pickups that you have jaz said were not available here at our place the only available is what i have said above.
Quote by ticktockboom
I hear the X2N's get really muddy, not sure about the other two.
It's all in how you use them. I've noticed a lot of the X2N hate comes from misuse of the pickup; they can't be close to the strings or else they do sound muddy.

I have a post from another recent thread that works perfectly here:

Quote by Ian_the_fox
You have to be careful with the X2N's. They have to be mounted extremely low lying in the ring in order to sound good, or else the sound's a muddy fucking mess (that means no installing them in guitars where the pickups are direct-mount).

To me they sound good when they are mounted low and far, as they really bring out the resonance of the wood and the pick attack on the strings. Though they are extremely sensitive and really reveal your every little mistake if you are not precise with your playing.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
It's all in how you use them. I've noticed a lot of the X2N hate comes from misuse of the pickup; they can't be close to the strings or else they do sound muddy.

I have a post from another recent thread that works perfectly here:

Are you saying that this is good for the bridge? How about the cleanest tone for the neck should i go for the x or the standard d activator?b