Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, could you recommend me an amp for metal with good cleans as well?
It would be used for bedroom practice, recording and jamming with friends..
I'm particularly interested in tube amps, and my price range is anything below $1000 on amazon. I've been leaning towards a Blackstar HT-5R, but I'd like some more opinions.
Thank you.
In your price range you really have a TON of options, especially if you're willing to go used. The mesa rectifiers and mark series have a pretty good sound all around (if you like the mesa sound). A lot of Orange amps would work well too if you want more of a british voicing.

As I said, you really have a lot of good choices. What amps have you played (not heard, played) so far that you've liked?
I'd say something like one of the new 50w 5150 heads and some sort of 2x12 cab with a V30 and a Greenback would be perfect.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by Strats&Cats
In your price range you really have a TON of options, especially if you're willing to go used. The mesa rectifiers and mark series have a pretty good sound all around (if you like the mesa sound). A lot of Orange amps would work well too if you want more of a british voicing.

As I said, you really have a lot of good choices. What amps have you played (not heard, played) so far that you've liked?
I've only gotten a chance to play the HT-5R and I find it really nice.
Quote by Twistedrock
I'd say something like one of the new 50w 5150 heads and some sort of 2x12 cab with a V30 and a Greenback would be perfect.

V30 and a greenback?
greenbacks aren't the same wattage as the V30s, not to mention greenbacks are famous for their speaker breakup and low headroom. Not something you really want with a high gain amp.
Quote by stykerwolf
V30 and a greenback?
greenbacks aren't the same wattage as the V30s, not to mention greenbacks are famous for their speaker breakup and low headroom. Not something you really want with a high gain amp.

As much as I agree that a V30 and a Greenback would be terrible, speakers don't have to match Wattage. Two of the most common high gain combinations i can think of, V30 and G12K100, and V30 and T75 speakers arent the same wattage either.
Jet City JCA100h or 50h with a decent 2x12. Can do brutal death metal to shimmery cleans, and you can afford it with your budget. Clips: 1, 2
The Mesa/Boogie Rocket 440 is a fantastic amp. It's the best kept secret of the Mesa family, in my opinion.

Bugera makes some pretty nice amps, I was always very skeptical, til my band's other guitarist bought one. Fantastic distortion, and a really nice clean tone (granted, it has pretty solid breakup, so if you're looking for super jangly Fender Blackface cleans, look elsewhere).

There's always Carvin, the X-amp series might work well for you.

Lastly, if you can find a Soldano head (a later, hot-rodded one), that could work, too- depends on your particular brand of metal.
Quote by ticktockboom
As much as I agree that a V30 and a Greenback would be terrible, speakers don't have to match Wattage. Two of the most common high gain combinations i can think of, V30 and G12K100, and V30 and T75 speakers arent the same wattage either.

I think he was just saying that if you mix a 60 watt Vintage 30 with a 25 watt Greenback then your max wattage will be 50 watts (not 85) and that Greenbacks are not the best for metal. But yeah - I'm a big proponent of mixing speakers.

For metal and jamming with friends a 5 watt Blackstar HT would not be my choice at all.

Before we go any further maybe you could give us more info on the the type of metal you play mostly and where you live roughly.
only on amazon?

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
just to point out, the ht5 is hybrid rather than all-tube. if you have your heart set on tube.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by FearMyLightning
EVH 5150 III 50W is only a grand. It also has Fender-like cleans.

That's a head only, right? Not going to do him a lot of good with a speaker! That would be my pick for a head under $1000 for sure, tho.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
That's a head only, right? Not going to do him a lot of good with a speaker! That would be my pick for a head under $1000 for sure, tho.

He could save up a few hundred and get a decent used cab
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

For metal and jamming with friends a 5 watt Blackstar HT would not be my choice at all.

Before we go any further maybe you could give us more info on the the type of metal you play mostly and where you live roughly.

+1

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'd have thought the V30 and Greenback combination would be great for metal. You've got the V30 which is awesome for your low end and low mids, and the greenback would take care of upper mids and treble really well.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by gregs1020
only on amazon?

Haha, no, I'd just prefer there because it's cheaper.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I think he was just saying that if you mix a 60 watt Vintage 30 with a 25 watt Greenback then your max wattage will be 50 watts (not 85) and that Greenbacks are not the best for metal. But yeah - I'm a big proponent of mixing speakers.

Metallica, Pantera, In Flames, Soilwork, Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, Firewind, Opeth, Megadeth, Slayer, Katatonia, Mastadon, Down.. That kind of stuff. I live in Australia, so things are much more expensive, so I'd prefer to buy off the internet.
If you are jamming with a drummer you need a gigging amp. Have a look for a used XXX/JSX/Ultra.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
If you are jamming with a drummer you need a gigging amp. Have a look for a used XXX/JSX/Ultra.

I wouldn't be jamming with a drummer.. At least not yet.
Jsxxxxxxxxxx
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Oh Australia? Missed that.
Used Marshall is often your best bet. Try to find a JCM2000 DSL401.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Oh Australia? Missed that.
Used Marshall is often your best bet. Try to find a JCM2000 DSL401.

Do you think I should save up a bit more and get something better?
Quote by cjstylez97
Do you think I should save up a bit more and get something better?

I mean, it's always advisable to buy once and buy right. But the Marshall DSLs are great amps and I think you'd be pretty happy with one. Especially if you can get a DSL50 head and a little 112 or 212 cab. A DSL and a Tubescreamer to push it over the edge is a really nice metal sound. Cleans aren't half bad either.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
I mean, it's always advisable to buy once and buy right. But the Marshall DSLs are great amps and I think you'd be pretty happy with one. Especially if you can get a DSL50 head and a little 112 or 212 cab. A DSL and a Tubescreamer to push it over the edge is a really nice metal sound. Cleans aren't half bad either.

I'll have a look man, thanks!
Quote by mmolteratx

What about an MA50C boosted by a tube screamer?
MA50C is pretty mediocre. If you can't pull the money together for a DSL, the JCM900s aren't that bad and pretty cheap. And they don't need a boost. They can just be kinda buzzy and nasty. Cathbard knows more about those than I do though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by cjstylez97
What about an MA50C boosted by a tube screamer?

We don't like em MAs around here.

If you like the tone, it can work well... but a lot of people don't like the base tone of the MA.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
A DSL50 and a 2x12 would be a fine choice. JCM900's are cheap and will do the job but they really do need modding and that requires cutting tracks and such. Not really mods for the beginner. If you can find a DSL go for it. The DSL401 is a great blues amp, probably the best of the bunch but for everything else the DSL50 would be the go (or a DSL100, you can always pull two tubes and turn it into a 50.)
Depends on what you can find, watch the used market until something pops up.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
A DSL50 and a 2x12 would be a fine choice. JCM900's are cheap and will do the job but they really do need modding and that requires cutting tracks and such. Not really mods for the beginner. If you can find a DSL go for it. The DSL401 is a great blues amp, probably the best of the bunch but for everything else the DSL50 would be the go (or a DSL100, you can always pull two tubes and turn it into a 50.)
Depends on what you can find, watch the used market until something pops up.

I forgot to mention, I'd really much prefer a combo.
What about he bugera 333Xl - They have a combo as well. Havent got up close and personal with that amp but it looks promising. (Just throwing out an idea for you to check into)
Quote by surjer
What about he bugera 333Xl - They have a combo as well. Havent got up close and personal with that amp but it looks promising. (Just throwing out an idea for you to check into)

that looks pretty good, but wouldn't it be a bit loud for home practice? (it's 120 watts)
You would have to check into this like i said im not personally experienced with that amp but i would think you could remove 2 of the EL34's to drop it down to a 60watt output. I play my 60watt amp at home no problems. Doesnt sound AS nice as it does cranked up real loud but gets the job done..
Quote by cjstylez97
that looks pretty good, but wouldn't it be a bit loud for home practice? (it's 120 watts)

Use the vol knob?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Use the vol knob?
+1. I can run my 100w tube amp at home at bedroom volumes just fine with no issues.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Use the vol knob?

I thought tube amps had to be cranked to get a good tone.
Quote by cjstylez97
I thought tube amps had to be cranked to get a good tone.

nope, not in my opinion.

sure most tube amps sound better cranked up a bit into their sweet spot, but they don't sound "bad" at low volumes. basically at low volumes you don't tend to get as much bass response as you do with the amp turned up a bit.

so basically, at low volume every amp (tube or ss) suffers from the lack of bass response and don't tend to sound their best.

i'm sure someone will disagree with that thought process, but that's my personal experience.

+however many for the dsl 50 watt head and 212 cab if you can pull that off.
Quote by gregs1020
nope, not in my opinion.

sure most tube amps sound better cranked up a bit into their sweet spot, but they don't sound "bad" at low volumes. basically at low volumes you don't tend to get as much bass response as you do with the amp turned up a bit.

so basically, at low volume every amp (tube or ss) suffers from the lack of bass response and don't tend to sound their best.

i'm sure someone will disagree with that thought process, but that's my personal experience.

+however many for the dsl 50 watt head and 212 cab if you can pull that off.

I might be able to do that, any cab you recommend?
i'm not sure what is available near you as far as cabs go. an older marshall (1936 model) 212 is usually not a bad idea. orange is another good option for a closed back 212. there are probably other decent cabs available to you may have access to i'm not aware of. there are a lot of good speaker options but they personal preference.
Page 1 of 2