I know lulu gets alot of hate, yeah yeah, worst album of 2011 and worst metallica album since st anger...I actually want to see someone who hates this album but also has a clue about the other guy, Lou Reed.
Velvet Underground is sweet.

Lou Reed's pretty cool.

Metallica are terrible.

Get lost.
Philosophy > Life
I'm pretty sure lots of Lou Reed/Velvet Revolver fans hated Lulu. I haven't heard any more than The View, but I sure hated that. I listen to Transformer fairly regularly, so I'm not exactly a Lou Reed fan, but I like some of his stuff.

This goes in the metallica thread, cunt.
Quote by MoogleRancha
Velvet Underground is sweet.

Lou Reed's pretty cool.

Metallica are terrible.

Get lost.

I'm not overly familiar with Lou Reed's stuff, but I'll agree on Metallica being terrible. I've listen to the album in full, just to see if it was as bad as people say it is. Instrumentally, it just sounds like it was really rushed and poorly put together. I really didn't think Lou's parts were all that bad . A little strange, perhaps, but I didn't dislike his parts by any means.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Metallica are good, Lou Reed has some good songs which are rendered unlistenable by his voice, Lulu is awful because the songs are just generally terrible in every possible way.
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Velvet Underground are great. Lou Reed is a cool guy but only still relevant to people who smoke weed and don't shower. And my relationship with Metallica is too hard to explain, but I do listen to them.
All I can say is that putting the two together is like pickels and frosting. Great by themselves, but together= NO.
I only like some stuff off of LuLu. Would've mad akind of a cool instrumental album though
And I agree with Butt Rayge, this goes in the 'Tallica thread, man.
Last edited by TerriThrash at Dec 26, 2011,
I like Metallica (doesn't mean every single song, so don't try to be a smart ass)
I like Lou Reed and VR (same as above)

But Lulu was bad. Just bad.
Quote by Butt Rayge
I'm pretty sure lots of Lou Reed/Velvet Revolver fans hated Lulu. I haven't heard any more than The View, but I sure hated that. I listen to Transformer fairly regularly, so I'm not exactly a Lou Reed fan, but I like some of his stuff.

This goes in the metallica thread, cunt.

You honestly made me doubt the name of the band when I saw this
Philosophy > Life
I actually never cared for the Velvet Underground

Tho their historical relevance is probably pretty significant (I believe their "New York hipster" image was seen as some kind of counter movement to the whole San Francisco flower power-scene) I think their music is quite overrated, especially that banana album. I've seen that thing top tons of "best alternative albums of ever" lists, but whenever I hear "There She Goes" on the radio I can't help but think "lazy vocals, mediocre musicians... what's the big deal?". I also can't help but feel that, had this material been tackled by a better band, I actually might've been a fan

It's the same with Bob Dylan: the "superior" versions of many of his songs were performed by other artists, but a lot of Dylan songs have that "stripped down balls on the table Johnny Cash"-like charm to them and I really don't see how anyone could compare his songwriting to that of Reed. Lou WISHES his songwriting skills were half as good as Dylan's, or at least he would if he didn't have his head shoved all the way up his arse (even most of his fans agree the guy's got massive ego issues)

On a positive note I think he was WAY better as a solo artist: he surrounded himself with way better musicians for starts -> Tony Levin, Steve Winwood, Mick Ronson, Herbie Flowers, Aynsley Dunbar, Jack Bruce... Then he made that feedback album which I think is just hilarious, but in a good way

So I guess what I'm trying to say is: tho not a huge fan, I'm faintly familiar with who this guy is and what he's accomplished. That being said, Lulu is a real minger. At least when that Chris Cornell/Timbaland album came out Cornell proved to be a pretty mature guy (he said something along the lines of "I knew a lot of people would hate, which is fine"). Reed on the other hand went on to claim that his music was for smart people or something, which is just sad because I'm pretty sure that if Reed had been more familiar with the genre he dove into he would've been able to tell the difference between a good thrashy metal track and "Iced Honey"

When these songs started appearing on youtube I couldn't help but develop this mental image: grandpa wants to be hip so he decides to rap 'cos "that's what kids do these days". Then when his grandchildren tell him he sucks at it MC Cool Daddy gets all defensive and shouts they're "just not as hip as he is". It all just feels like a gimmick -> I'm guessing his subversive attitude towards music in general played a waaaay bigger part in his decision to make this album than his love for heavy metal. And the crazy thing is I think this actually could've worked if he'd left the music in charge of someone like Steven Wilson or Devin Townsend

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at Dec 26, 2011,
Quote by Butt Rayge
I'm pretty sure lots of Lou Reed/Velvet Revolver fans hated Lulu

Oh
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.