Page 1 of 2
Guess what, having all that fancy expensive gear doesn't make you a better musician. No more then having the best tools makes you the best builder.
Last edited by tmisdriving at Dec 26, 2011,
Disagree, my dad has a bitchin' screwdriver and he can build flat packs as easy as fuckin' bitches.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

But a very nice HDTV WILL give you the best available picture quality.

im not sure if this is relevant
Quote by ticktockboom
But a very nice HDTV WILL give you the best available picture quality.

im not sure if this is relevant

Big brother would still be awful to watch.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
Yes it does, go suck your Spider 3s dick

It's not just his wrists that shoot sticky stuff.
It's okay bro, I'd be mad too if santa didn't' bring me any presents.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
Cant hear you over the sound of my mark iv.

Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
Quote by Mazzakazza
nope i love all that fancy gear, i can't afford it, but i wish i could. Im jealous - i admit it! It's ****ing awesome stuff, what's the problem?

Dude, I can't handle your signature anymore. 7>6! is incorrect because 6! means 1x2x3x4x5x6 ... which is obviously not less than 7. Get it together.
i don't know why i feel so dry
I agree with you and not at the same time.

Pisses me off when people I know speak in this kinda bragging tone of like 'Well I generally run with a Dunlop Mach 3 PVGRH300 Turbo Exhaust put through to my Mega Distortion Alley-Oop Shit Switch .. this is of course when I don't have access to my beloved Fender Fap Fap' .. especially when they're talking to people who know nothing about music gear .. they don't dumb it down.

And the other side .. I would want good stuff .. but i wouldnt brag about it.
Quote by tmisdriving
Big brother would still be awful to watch.

The same way you probably wouldn't spend 10k on a PRS custom shop Soapbar to play underground punk.
And you probably also wouldn't spend 1000th of that on a Stagg to play in a Jazz band.

If I had the money, I'd sure as hell spend it on all the expensive shit I want and advertise it to poor, unemployed, jealous people like you
I have a feeling that most guitarists stop working on their playing once they become decent and instead become obsessed with their tone.

Just look at the number of threads in the forums:

Guitar Techniques: ~40k
Musician Talk: ~50k
GG&A: ~170k

I'd still rather listen to someone like Paul Gilbert jam on an unplugged squier then some knob playing ripoff Metallica riffs on his ESP Horizon through a Mesa.

/replying seriously
I just bought a George Dennis the Blue 60watt combo 4 channel all tube with reverb, cut and presence. In store price: 1.300€. I got it for only 300€ and it is in perfect conditions.

Suck on that.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
Quote by 505088K
I have a feeling that most guitarists stop working on their playing once they become decent and instead become obsessed with their tone.

I'd still rather listen to someone like Paul Gilbert jam on an unplugged squier then some knob playing ripoff Metallica riffs on his ESP Horizon through a Mesa.

/replying seriously

But wouldn't you rather hear Paul Gilbert play through his regular rig than a spider jam or something shitty like that?
It's true that better gear doesn't improve your skills, but better guitarists are better because they play more. And if you play more, you're gonna want better gear. I drive a lot, so I want a better car. I don't play guitar for hours a day, so I'm happy with my old... well... Spider III. But it doesn't mean some spoiled kid whose parents just bought him a PRS and a shit load of high end gear will instantly be better than me.
Someone's jealous.
Btw, I find it funny how your tone infers that everyone with good tech is a bad musician?

Seriously dude, just don't give a shit what others have. If they have cool tech, that's really cool. But don't be hating just because they have equipment you don't. It's completely pointless.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
If people have good good then fair enough. It doesn't neccessarily make them a better or worse player if they have good bad equipment. I remember a quote from a guy doing a demonstration of the Marshall Randy Rhoads signature amp, he said something along the lines of 'If you suck, you will still suck but suck with better tone'.
I like Squiers

Although I do have a Fender in my hands as I write this...
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
I don't give a flying fuck about being a good musician. I just like playing around with cool effects 'n' stuff.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by 505088K

/replying seriously
Tbh, a forum is better for gaining knowledge on different pedals etc... than it is for learning techniques where videos (Youtube) are more useful. I can't even remember what Musician Talk is about but it's probably over run by listeners of Vai and Satriani
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
better gear does make me a better player.

If I had to play on shitty gear, the tone and the feel would demotivate me to play any further.

On my first gig I was a bit nervous and insecure, and when I had to do a solo I thought I wouldn't make it. But when I kicked in the lead tone, it sounded so amazing that it gave me confidence to play and I nailed the solo.

Last edited by ComradSputnik at Dec 26, 2011,
I play mostly acoustic, so I don't have a lot more than technique to work on. Guess I'm good to go.

... Then again, there are some really tasty-sounding acoustics out there.
When some stranger on the internet says it is so, it must be so.
Last edited by Zeropathic at Dec 26, 2011,
I have a G&L custom and TS can't stop me.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
You just reminded me to set up the new pedal i got for christmas, thanks TS.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Quote by tmisdriving
Guess what, having all that fancy expensive gear doesn't make you a better musician. No more then having the best tools makes you the best builder.

No, but it might make you a better builder.

Better gear can help you understand who takes their musicianship seriously, and who got given a Squier for christmas and thinks they are the next Satriani (although it is by no means a guarantee)
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
A G chord through a Stagg guitar and a Spider III will not sound good, an A chord with a USA Fender or Gibson or what have you and a Marshall or Mesa will sound better. People with exspensive gear generally have a lot of money because they work, they are adults and that means they have probobly been playing longer, there is a correlation between available income to spend, and hours spent doing something. Obviously this is not applicable to rich kids.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
I love my Epiphones...

dont even think I'd chose any of the gibsons Iv played over them.

money doesnt contribute to tallent
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
TS =

A builder with better cools may be able to make better things than the builder that's better but has shitty tools, if you want to stick with that analogy.
I'm sick of hearing rich kids talk about the Fenders and high end Ibanez's that their parents got them after two years of playing. I've been playing a year and have no intentions of buying anything remotely expensive for another few.
i'm sick of hearing people's techs go on and on about stuff. just shut up and tune my damn guitar, that's what you're being payed for. i don't care about your stupid life.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Page 1 of 2