I know what all techniques are except Economy Picking. Can somebody explain what it is? Thanks
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Economy picking is basically a combination of alternate picking and sweep picking.

---------5-7-8---------
-5-7-8-----------------
D U D U D U

^alternate picking.

-----------5-7-8----------
--5-7-8-------------------
D U D D U D
^economy picking.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by Zeletros
Economy picking is what people do when they can't alternate pick really well.

Not true. Economy picking is basically using the fastest and most efficient method of picking; hence the name Economy.

It's used for if you're doing a string skipping riff, so you're down picking a note on the 6th string because the next note is on a higher string, and changing as you go up and down. Instead of U D U D U D U D, or D U D U D U D U, it would be something like U U D D U D D D U U D.

Those are just examples, it's basically for efficiency and speed.
Quote by Zeletros
Economy picking is what people do when they can't alternate pick really well.

Yeah, Frank Gambale can't pick for crap...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Yeah, Frank Gambale can't pick for crap...

He can pick, just apparently not that well,

If you can practice alternate picking long enough for it to become effortless I don't see how would you need to resort to economy picking.
Quote by Zeletros

If you can practice alternate picking long enough for it to become effortless I don't see how would you need to resort to economy picking.

Efficiency.
Quote by Zeletros

Because it sounds different and if you're playing lines that have a lot of one note per string playing (or indeed any other pattern that lends itself to economy picking) only people like you are going to give anyone a medal for making anything harder for themselves. Why would you not do things the easy way?

Key fact that no one has yet mentioned: when you're doing two down- or two up-strokes in a row they aren't separate strokes. A key part of the technique is that things like that are one smooth, connected motion.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Because it sounds different and if you're playing lines that have a lot of one note per string playing (or indeed any other pattern that lends itself to economy picking) only people like you are going to give anyone a medal for making anything harder for themselves. Why would you not do things the easy way?

Key fact that no one has yet mentioned: when you're doing two down- or two up-strokes in a row they aren't separate strokes. A key part of the technique is that things like that are one smooth, connected motion.

Something being hard is relative, as I said, if you practiced alternate picking enough for it to be already effortless, you wouldn't have any problems using it instead of economy picking.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Yeah I forgot to mention that part. Economy picking is like mixing sweep picking and alternate picking. It's about fluidity, efficiency and speed.

Thanks for reminding me!

Something being hard is relative, as I said, if you practiced alternate picking enough for it to be already effortless, you wouldn't have any problems using it instead of economy picking.

Why would you limit yourself to using alternate picking? Shouldn't you be attempting to master all techniques when you play the guitar? It seems kind of stupid that'd you say "Well I can alternate pick masterfully, why would I need to economy pick?" Economy picking is another style of picking that can be incorporated into your music wonderfully, why wouldn't you?
Last edited by Hudson12 at Dec 26, 2011,
Quote by Zeletros

You really suck at trolling lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSu4mf3ysfY
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Zeletros

Same goes for economy picking though, if someone is good at it then there are no real disadvantages to using the technique so why would you claim that someone only does it if they're bad at picking?

That also leaves the issue of tone anyway, they do sound different.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by steven seagull
You really suck at trolling lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSu4mf3ysfY

My comment stays, as I said, I didn't see a lot of alternate picking there, just because he's good at sweeping, doesn't make him good at alternate picking.

Moreover, I barely heard the guitar, which made me wonder whether or not he played well.
oh stop, you're making me chuckle.

Frank Gambale is one of the most technically accomplished guitarists on the planet.

Economy picking is little more than an extension of alternate picking anyway, you're still using an up/down motion - it's just that if you have two notes on adjacent strings you use one pick stroke for both notes. That makes it more efficient and inherently faster, there's no way you can deny that using less actions and doing less work isn't both more efficient and therefore faster. It does, obviously, require more thought and planning, it does give you a different sound and feel, and it can be more difficult to maintain a consistent rhythm.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Stilettos
My comment stays, as I said, I didn't see a lot of alternate picking there, just because he's good at sweeping, doesn't make him good at alternate picking.

Moreover, I barely heard the guitar, which made me wonder whether or not he played well.

Gambale sucks!
he also said you eliminate around one third of the picking motion through economy picking and he invented sweeping. (lazy ass)

Remember kids using a pick is for people who can´t finger pick anyways.
Legato = cheating, sweeping is for fags, and the whammy bar.. dont get me started on the whammy bar, we all use it because our vibrato sucks!
perfect example: Steve Vai!

And while we are at it **** amps, pedals the tone and volume knob too, real men play classical guitar and effects are for people who cant play clean.

To finalize the first thing you should learn is modes! and **** the major scale, learn patterns.

End retarded troll/ Zeletros mode. (Maybe you can come up with stupider ideas.)

They are different techniques, learn both, be happy.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Dec 26, 2011,
^see? Now that's proper trolling
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Zeletros, you forgot to add that legato playing is for people who can't alternate or economy pick at all.

Correct?

I see you going around on quite a few threads telling people their music is shit, describing playing Hendrix as "get a shitty tone, forget your technique, make stupid noises" and now some more useless elitist shit like this. Maybe you'd like to show us all what it's like to be an incredible guitar player, since you're quite clearly better than not only most of the users on this forum, but Frank Gambale as well.
Last edited by :-D at Dec 26, 2011,
Quote by :-D
Zeletros, you forgot to add that legato playing is for people who can't alternate or economy pick at all.

Correct?

I see you going around on quite a few threads telling people their music is shit, describing playing Hendrix as "get a shitty tone, forget your technique, make stupid noises" and now some more useless elitist shit like this. Maybe you'd like to show us all what it's like to be an incredible guitar player, since you're quite clearly better than not only most of the users on this forum, but Frank Gambale as well.

If something sounds like shit to me, then by god, I will call it shit. As for Hendrix, I believe there's nothing more to add.

Quote by Slashiepie
Gambale sucks!
he also said you eliminate around one third of the picking motion through economy picking and he invented sweeping. (lazy ass)

Remember kids using a pick is for people who can´t finger pick anyways.
Legato = cheating, sweeping is for fags, and the whammy bar.. dont get me started on the whammy bar, we all use it because our vibrato sucks!
perfect example: Steve Vai!

And while we are at it **** amps, pedals the tone and volume knob too, real men play classical guitar and effects are for people who cant play clean.

To finalize the first thing you should learn is modes! and **** the major scale, learn patterns.

End retarded troll/ Zeletros mode. (Maybe you can come up with stupider ideas.)

They are different techniques, learn both, be happy.

You are horrifying my words. I said nothing of the like.
Last edited by Zeletros at Dec 26, 2011,
Quote by Zeletros
If something sounds like shit to me, then by god, I will call it shit. As for Hendrix, I believe there's nothing more to add.

No, there's nothing more to add, other than that you enjoy making comments that aren't constructive in the slightest simply because you like to appear as though you're some street-hardened Internet badass. grats.

If you think something is shit, fine, but maybe you'd do better actually offering some semblance of usefulness. I used to be very much like you, and I can tell you that sort of attitude really gets you nowhere.
Quote by :-D
No, there's nothing more to add, other than that you enjoy making comments that aren't constructive in the slightest simply because you like to appear as though you're some street-hardened Internet badass. grats.

If you think something is shit, fine, but maybe you'd do better actually offering some semblance of usefulness. I used to be very much like you, and I can tell you that sort of attitude really gets you nowhere.

Come to think of it, I never actually used the word "shit" to describe someones' music, if you are referring to that recent "doom metal", I used other words.
Quote by Zeletros
Come to think of it, I never actually used the word "shit" to describe someones' music, if you are referring to that recent "doom metal", I used other words.

Who cares? There's no point in arguing useless semantics, because this isn't exactly a constructive post regardless:

It sounds absolutely terrible.

Some melody parts are good, everything else is pretty much terrible, and I absolutely don't mean it sound so brootalz that I don't like it, I mean it literally sounds terrible, especially the drums.
I think this effectively sums up this thread:

Why are so many people retarded?

For those of you who actually want to know what economy picking is, it's continuing with one motion when switching to an adjacent string. For example, if you have something like this:

e|-------------
B|-------------
G|-------------
D|-------5-----
A|-5-7-8---8-7-
E|-------------

You could play it with all alternate picking or you could do D U D D U D or something like that.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Zeletros

Just in case you'd forgotten you currently have am active warning still.

You do have a habit of posting unhelpful stuff, presumably in an attempt to make yourself look clever. A lot of what you is, admittedly, not quite bad enough to justify an outright warning but there's certainly a case for warning you for persistant minor offences.

As it's crimble time i'm not going to warn you for anything in this thread, but i'll just give you some friendly advice to lose the attitude and if you haven't got anything useful to contribute to a discussion then keep your trap shut. Voicing your opinion isn't a problem provided there's something constructive behind it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Hudson12
Not true. Economy picking is basically using the fastest and most efficient method of picking; hence the name Economy.

It's used for if you're doing a string skipping riff, so you're down picking a note on the 6th string because the next note is on a higher string, and changing as you go up and down. Instead of U D U D U D U D, or D U D U D U D U, it would be something like U U D D U D D D U U D.

Those are just examples, it's basically for efficiency and speed.

Thank you Are there any economy picking exercises on UG?

Digitech Bad Monkey

Quote by Dr Sixstring
Thank you Are there any economy picking exercises on UG?

Take any picking exercise and re-do the picking so it's all economy picked. It's not a hard system to use at all once you understand the basic idea of "pick in the direction you're moving while changing strings". Once you get to real string skipping things can change a bit but that's a way down the line, get used to basic string changes for now.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Take any picking exercise and re-do the picking so it's all economy picked. It's not a hard system to use at all once you understand the basic idea of "pick in the direction you're moving while changing strings". Once you get to real string skipping things can change a bit but that's a way down the line, get used to basic string changes for now.

Thanks, I'll have to try that.

Digitech Bad Monkey