For those of you who have played live/do frequently, how much improv is there during your sets? Is everything set in stone? Do you improv solos or bridges? Or is your structure itself improv'd?

For example, in my case, we have a few songs that work very well for improvising structure. Two of them work very well because, although the dynamic/riffs/melody/whatever change throughout the song, they more or less use the same chord progression throughout, allowing everyone to still work with each other despite not necessarily knowing what the other person will play next. Personally, I think it can add a lot to a show if you're with musicians who know how to improvise, and who you groove well with.

So, what about you?
i tend to play by myself, so sometimes i just improvise the whole song. i go up there expecting to play the piece one way, but play it completely differently.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I improvise most solos, because I can't be bothered to write/learn them. They usually tend to go pretty well though, I work best under pressure and have played some of my best solos improvising on stage

We also have a couple of songs where we would just jam a breakdown section, or trail off at the end with a jam. They're always fun
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
Last edited by mullet1337 at Dec 26, 2011,
My bands Set list is more or less set in stone (depending on how long we have to play for) although as we go through it. if the crowd isnt responding to certain types of songs we will take 1 out and change it for another.

sometimes if we arnt really feeling the gig in the first place we will take a couple of songs out just so we can get off stage. I'd rather do that than be stuck on stage with a bad vibe.

we have found that if any of us improvise it then we dont play as tight as we normally do so the only improvised part of the set is the drum solo at the end... but I'd actually like that to be played a certain way so that we all know exactly when we are going to come back in for the end of the set.
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
Last edited by Dave Frenzy at Dec 26, 2011,
Quote by Dave Frenzy
My bands Set list is more or less set in stone (depending on how long we have to play for) although as we go through it. if the crowd isnt responding to certain types of songs we will take 1 out and change it for another.

sometimes if we arnt really feeling the gig in the first place we will take a couple of songs out just so we can get off stage. I'd rather do that than be stuck on stage with a bad vibe.

we have found that if any of us improvise it then we dont play as tight as we normally do so the only improvised part of the set is the drum solo at the end... but I'd actually like that to be played a certain way so that we all know exactly when we are going to come back in for the end of the set.
My advise would be to set up a certain cue with the drummer; for example, stop, then four notes on the loose hi-hat, or have a certain drum fill or something that tells everyone when to come back in.
Quote by herby190
My advise would be to set up a certain cue with the drummer; for example, stop, then four notes on the loose hi-hat, or have a certain drum fill or something that tells everyone when to come back in.

yeah we have tried that and it does work... apart from when our drummer forgets to do it lol

we tried getting him to end the solo with just 1 hit on the ride bell. since its a heavy song when it comes back in it sounds good, when it works. other times we have all zones out because he has gone on for so long that we forget that it was the signal to come back in lol

Im thinking we just stick to a 4 count on his splash lol
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
I play Jazz. So other than the written heads, the entire set is mostly improvised.

Example of one of the groups I play with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRWAsq20Xgk
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Some of the guitar work seemed a little out of key (still pretty good though), but the bassist and drummer groove really well; any live vids?
That's because I am the bassist (The drummer is absolutely sick though - and the guitarist probably more so. It sounds out of key because he is playing a bit "outside"!)

No live vids at the moment, but a couple of live recordings that haven't been uploaded (Plus a great couple of live recordings featuring Carl Orr on guitar. If you don't know Carl Orr, check him out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v13P7e2EsRQ&feature=related )

I'll try and upload them onto soundcloud or something at some point.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Most of my solos are improvised live, each gig my mood will be different from the last. Therefore each solo will portray my mood, creating a much more satisfying solo...to me anyway.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
All of our dynamics are improvised, but notewise, it's pretty strict. We do try to leave a little wiggle room though.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Heaps of improvisation within the song structure.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User