Hey guys!
Today i looked at this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBjNmGW1Z_8&feature=related
and i just fell in love with the rhythm tone. I found out he was using an Axe Fx.

Does anyone here have any experience with this preamp? Is it really that good? How much does it cost? Where can i get it?
I'd love to have a sweet crunchy rhythm tone like that on my album :P

Also i am very new to this preamp thing. Is it a better choice for recording, than an amp? When i record at home, using my Line6 amp and Shure SM57 mics, the tone that finally comes out in the computer, is absolute shit. It sounds nothing like what I hear with my own ears, from the amp. So I want to know if i plugged my guitar into the preamp, preamp into my M-Audio soundcard, would the sound be pure?

Thanks a bunch guys :=)
Use google. Check out the Fractal forums and what this for a little more insight...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMdXdG2NlE8
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
^ and even more expensive haha.

As for the amp/mic, move the mic around. The mic positioning is INCREDIBLY important
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
'Tis indeed although don't bother buying it if you aren't bothered to tweak it. It sounds pretty good out of the box but the real sounds come when you play around with the settings. which can be time consuming.

You'll also have to consider a power amp and a midi controller if you're looking to play live. (You can go direct into FOH but not all sound guys allow such a thing)
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
The Axe FX Standard and Ultra are ranging from ~$1000-1600 right now, since there's a new version (the Axe FX II) out now, which is significantly more expensive. Good luck finding one of those for less than $2600, I've seen them go all the way up to $3200.

They're pretty cool, but most people who use them only use one or two tones. For a studio musician, it is invaluable, for live use, it's great, since you can run direct to board, but if you're only doing a few tones and need to monitor the sound, you might as well get one or two really nice amp heads, because that's how much an Axe FX rig will end up costing you.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Adam124
'Tis indeed although don't bother buying it if you aren't bothered to tweak it. It sounds pretty good out of the box but the real sounds come when you play around with the settings. which can be time consuming.

Yes, and frustrating sometimes. You also have to be prepared to tweak effects slightly for the way each different space you're in sounds too. Between my Oberheim, Triaxis and G-Major 2, which are all serious tweakers, I sometimes feel like I spend more time tweaking than just enjoying playing.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by MickAlmighty
^ and even more expensive haha.

As for the amp/mic, move the mic around. The mic positioning is INCREDIBLY important

no matter how i move it around, it still sounds like shit and not as i hear it from the amp...ive put alot of time into this :/
Quote by Ibarshall_X
no matter how i move it around, it still sounds like shit and not as i hear it from the amp...ive put alot of time into this :/

Does your amp happen to be a line 6 spider? If so, it's shite.

Also the cab itself has a lot to play. What make of cab is it and what speakers are they holding?

On top of that you have studio monitors. If you're using regular pc speakers then it's only logical that it sounds like shit.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Adam124
Does your amp happen to be a line 6 spider? If so, it's shite.

Also the cab itself has a lot to play. What make of cab is it and what speakers are they holding?

On top of that you have studio monitors. If you're using regular pc speakers then it's only logical that it sounds like shit.

yes actually, spider valve

but if my regular pc speakers are to blame for the bad sound, how come i hear such an orgasmic sound on the video i linked, with the same speakers? I believe more that it's the amp's fault :/

I guess i do need better gear for studio recording. So i guess the Axe Fx would be the best way?
I don't mean to tell you what to buy, but what are you planning on using the AxeFX for?

If its just for bedroom playing and the occasional jam, I personally think you cold get better bang for your buck getting a good amp and a handful of effects.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Adam124

You'll also have to consider a power amp and a midi controller if you're looking to play live. (You can go direct into FOH but not all sound guys allow such a thing)

What sound guys "don't allow" such things? You offer the sound guy total control over your levels and he says no? You tell him "this is my guitar. Plug it into a channel." Him then saying no is totally unfathomable. If he does, you go to his boss and tell him to sack the idiot.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^

Well that's our local soundguy sacked then...
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal