Page 1 of 2
some might know it from my greenback thread but I thought I'd just make the hnad thread now

Use to play on my mesa mark III but I started looking for something features and more dynamic range. Don't get me wrong, the mark III is still a very good amp but I wanted something that didn't rely on pre-amp distortion and din't stay clean for that long. Had a long search during the summer trying out different amps. The think I was looking for was a single channel amp where you could go from clean to crunch just by playing with your guitar volume. Tryed a lot of different amps and I was considering getting a custom build ceriatone untill my amp tech called me asking if I he could build me a custom amp. He recently started building amps and I helped him with a couple of demo's for his work and I was really impressed with the sound and build quality. The price was right so I decided to go ahead.

One thing was sure after testing a lot of amps: it was going to be a single channel marshall style amp. The only problem was: will it be a jtm45, jtm50, super bass or even a super lead? Luck had it that he was servicing a couple of original marshall amps including a superbass and a JTM45. Had some fun playing on some serious vintage gear and the decision was made: it was going to be a JTM45 with some extra features.

the specs:
-JTM45 circuit
-6L6 power tubes( I like the slight scooped american sound the give)
-nos pre-amp tubes
-nos resistors etc(mustard caps, all the good stuff)
-solid state and tube rectifier switching(as a test)
-5u4 recifier tube
-classic tone transforms(wound to old marshall specs)
-custom faceplate(silver/gray)
-custom headshell(slightly larger than a smallbox, white and black tolex to match my hook 2X12)
-CCS mod on both normal and treble channel
-master volume(a necessary evil)

Not sure about all the technical details about the CCS mod but what it does is make sure that all your signal arrives at the pre-amp tubes. It makes your amp respond to dynamics a lot better and it's as if you lifted a blanket from the amp.

I've had the chance to test the amp a couple of times and it sounds amazing. The JTM45 has always been a dynamic amp but the CCS mod takes it to a whole new level. You can set the amp pretty dirty and you can still play clean just by the way you pick. One thing I didn't really like about the JTM45 is the flabby bass but no such thing with the CCS mod. The negative feedback has also been wired to give maximum tightness to the sound and it still sounds alive and absoluutly not stiff.

The amp also has more gain on tap than a regular JTM45. It will break up a bit earlier and if you crank the volume you notice that it has a lot of gain. Crank the treble channel for some serious overdrive and add a lill bit of normal channel to introduce some more bottom end. Crank both channels and you got balls to the walls dirty distortion which is really great for playing stoner etc. One thing I like is that the amp has a slight compression on the overdrive, when you roll back your volume the clean is almost as loud as the overdrive.

The amp should be staying with me for a while this week. The headshell is almost done and all that remains is the custom faceplate

Teaser pics:

gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
Looks really nice. Massive transformers FTW.

FYI - New gear threads need 2 of the 3, review, pics, or clips. Because you don't actually have the amp yet - this might get closed. Maybe an exception will be made because so far - it looks awesome.

I saw a thread about some guy's custom build where he kept updates on the progress so I figured this should be alright since it's almost done

The only reason why I can't post any more pics or clips is because my tech needed it to make sure the headshell fitted nice and snug. The amp itself is done and the specs that I posted are the final specs.

Going to be extra special since I finally get to test those greenbacks from 1971
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
Quote by allochthomas
I saw a thread about some guy's custom build where he kept updates on the progress so I figured this should be alright since it's almost done

that was probably in GB&C.

but this does look yummy.

It's a shame the almost no one will see the inside, it's a thing of beauty.

The amp is really honest, you play sloppy and your sound will be sloppy. There's no wall of distortion or compression to hide behind.
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
Going to use a weber mini mass 50 with it in order to keep the amp under controll when it's not being cranked. The amp is rated at 38 watt but it's loud as hell. Add in de bottom end from the normal channel and it will try to rip any speaker cabinet you hook up to shreds
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
What speakers are you going to run teh amp through.

I love a good JTM45. My all time favorite Marshall amp. I can't seem to bear to part with mine despite the fact that I haven't turned it on in months.
original G12M 25 watt greenbacks from 71
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
Well she's staying with me for a while. Still waiting on the headshell since we're still waiting for the white tolex to arrive from the UK.

The amp sounds fantastic and the greenbacks work really well with the HOOK and JTM45. Having a lot of fun playing with the tone stack. Once my weber mini mass 50 arrives I'll record some clips
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
Very nice but KT66 or gtfo. 6L6 in a JTM45 indeed! Burn the heretic!
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band

Might switch the 6L6 tubes for KT66 tubes though I'm not sure. The g12M 25's don't seem to bite as much as the V30 and G12H 70th ani. Found the KT66 with the V30 and g12h to have a tad to much high mid frequenties.
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
Well I'd run the Greenbacks but if you can afford it stick in some EV's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
They're impossible to beat for the money.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Plan was to go for some custom wound tranny's from germany but the guy that made them was a bit of a guru. Brilliant tranny's but he couldn't run business. We waited 2 months for a pair that he said he sent but they never arrived and we haven't heard from him ever since. Classictone was a bit of a guess but they sound fantastic. My tech is going to stock them for his future builds

The cab is running the greenbacks atm and I've sold the other speakers. Still waiting for a chance to test the amp full blast
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
Quote by allochthomas

Might switch the 6L6 tubes for KT66 tubes though I'm not sure. The g12M 25's don't seem to bite as much as the V30 and G12H 70th ani. Found the KT66 with the V30 and g12h to have a tad to much high mid frequenties.
Its going to sound much less scooped than the 6L6s. The high end of the greenbacks are softer than the V30s and G12H30s to my ears. All Celestions sound a little bit harsh to me though until you break them in. I like the 25 watt greenbacks with KT66s though, it's what I use. A nice, midrange honk without it getting nasally like V30s sometimes get.
The nasally midrange was indeed the reason why I dropped the V30. Going to play with the 6L6 tubes for a bit, swap em for KT66 again and see how it goes.

The greenbacks are from 71 but I still need to break them in(never been used in the 40 years). One thing I noticed was that the sound was wider and not as top end heavy with the greenbacks and my tech noticed it aswell.
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
That is beautiful art.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
It's almost a shame it's going to be covered by the headshell.

The headshell is going to be sweet: black and white, but the center will be black and the sides will be white(styling tips from my gf, I know nothing about those kind of things )
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat

Handles and feet have been installed as well. The only thing it's missing is the custom faceplate and the block style logo which will be made and installed next week.
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
Very nice!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Slight bump. Still unsure what knobs I want to use. Not really fan of the silver marshall style knobs and I'm unsure wether chrome dome knobs would be handy when you're fiddeling with the amp on a dark stage. Any idea's?
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
Quote by allochthomas
Slight bump. Still unsure what knobs I want to use. Not really fan of the silver marshall style knobs and I'm unsure wether chrome dome knobs would be handy when you're fiddeling with the amp on a dark stage. Any idea's?

Chicken head knobs are always fun.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Welded chassis too?

Nice!
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Raijouta
Chicken head knobs are always fun.

Chicken head knobs actually came to mind

Had these types in creme with whit the black strip on my old ceriatone jtm45.
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
Chickenheads on a Marshall?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Well, they do offer great visibilty on dark stages though they'd prob ruin the entire amp if I actually use them
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat

Pretty goddamn sexy if you ask me. My tech told me he had find some really nice knobs to with with the tolex but he's keeping it as a suprtise for when he fits the faceplate and logo
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
Nice. But I would've gone with different knobs.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Very nice. Shame about the 6L6's but otherwise, very very nice. I'm waiting for the last of the parts I need to build mine actually. You've set a bit of a standard to beat there.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Wow that looks great.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
The knobs aren't what I'd use but they do suit the rest of the amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
@Cathbard: the jtm45 is basicly a bassman running kt66 tubes

The knobs where a bit of an issue. The main plan was to get some bluesbreaker style knobs with black and white but the white didn't match the tolex and ended up looking odd. The chrome dome knobs compliment the overall look of the amp well imo but I'll have to see how visible they'll be on a dark stage since that's my main concern
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
The Bassman of the era also had a 12AY7 in V1. Don't worry, I knows me ol' Marshalls.
I just ordered my KT66's. Not a cheap tube. Plus it means I can't use any of the tubes in my other amps as spares.
Oh well, no biggy. I wasn't really intending to use it live, I already have my gigging rig. I wanted a JTM45 as a bedroom amp. Muahahaha. Take that neighbours! Any complaints out of you and I'll eat your children.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification