Hey guys,
after non stop repairs I think it is time to get a new amp. My mesa express 5:50 just isnt cutting it for me. My budget is 2k. I want to focus on an amp that has beautiful cleans, is LOUD, and can take pedals. I am a big Fender amp fan. My other guitar player has a Blues Deville with 4 10s WITH Eminence Alnico Blues, and it is LOUD LOUD LOUD. He never has to put it above three. I want something similar, but with more clarity and volume. I have tons of pedals so it has to take pedals pretty well. After doing research I am considering a few Fender amps: Vibrulux, Super Reverb, 65' Twin, or maybe, a Deluxe Reverb.

After reading a few reviews I have read that the Twin is too Loud to really be practical. But being an former owner of one of the 100watt ones, I still love them. My concern with the vibrulux, and Super Reverb is that their 40 watts, (I'm aware my friends is a 40 watt too, but his speakers are also extremely good)

The other amp I hear great things about is the Deluxe Reverb. Extremely versatile, small, and essentially a mini twin. My concern with it is that its only 22 watts, and it wont be loud enough. Could that problem be fixed with a cab?

I am open to suggestions and advice on amps, or other potential amps.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by MrGuitarGuy01 at Dec 26, 2011,
Super Sonic 60, 60W, available as 1x12, 2x12 combo as well as head, will also give you a drive channel.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Fender twin reverb and a hot plate if it's too loud. From what I hear those amps barely ever break up.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by JesusCrisp
Super Sonic 60, 60W, available as 1x12, 2x12 combo as well as head, will also give you a drive channel.

This!! I just picked one up a couple weeks ago.... The 60w 112 combo and its Amazing!! The cleans are awesome and a modern voiced Burn channel. Vibrolux clean and chimey bright and Bassman are thick and gritty Very dynamic and pick sensitive. I've got a TC elec nova sys in the loop and it sounds great and tube screamers up front and both channels love the OD pedals.....the clean channel is so clean that the first couple times you hit the Burn channel it kinda trips ya out for a second a nice tight defined modern distortion very non fender but Very Good!!! Hit my TS9 and get from hair metal to early metallic. No death metal but I bet a pedal would sound great on the clean channel. It's kinda loud more so on the clean channel but if you can play loud it sounds amazing!!! The reverb is kinda weak but swapping to a 12ax7 helps.
Quote by MrGuitarGuy01
I am a big Fender amp.

Seems like your problem is solved!
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by omidmash
Seems like your problem is solved!

thanks. I didnt catch that.

Quote by JesusCrisp

I dont care for a drive channel, my MB Express 5:50 has a great distortion channel but I never use it. I have my pedals for distortion. All I want is a loud clean channel. BUT I will look into this sonic 60. Thank you for the input!
Quote by mmjohn
This!! I just picked one up a couple weeks ago.... The 60w 112 combo and its Amazing!! The cleans are awesome and a modern voiced Burn channel. Vibrolux clean and chimey bright and Bassman are thick and gritty Very dynamic and pick sensitive. I've got a TC elec nova sys in the loop and it sounds great and tube screamers up front and both channels love the OD pedals.....the clean channel is so clean that the first couple times you hit the Burn channel it kinda trips ya out for a second a nice tight defined modern distortion very non fender but Very Good!!! Hit my TS9 and get from hair metal to early metallic. No death metal but I bet a pedal would sound great on the clean channel. It's kinda loud more so on the clean channel but if you can play loud it sounds amazing!!! The reverb is kinda weak but swapping to a 12ax7 helps.

Would you recommend it volume wise?
Yes for sure amp just gets sweeter as you turn it up!!
Quote by mmjohn
Yes for sure amp just gets sweeter as you turn it up!!

I'm sure, as most Fender amps do, but I dont want an amp that gets distorted or overdriven as you turn it up. Its great, dont get me wrong, but my genre of music is just clean. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN, all day. I do love a nice OD tone though

Ill still keep it in mind though. Any other recommendations?
+over 9000 to Deluxe Reverb reissue. You can get one brand new for $1000 and it's an archetypal "amazing cleans, takes pedals like a champ" amplifier.
If it's just clean, have you checked out the Roland Jazz Chorus?

As far as Fenders go, my favorite is the Twin Reverb.
Hi, I'm Peter
That's what you get with a super sonic .......great Clean tones Not overdriven Cleans. the c vibrolux is chimey and bright the cleans an the Bassman is darker and thicker.
+1 for the Fender Twin Reverb:

You'll probably never have to buy another amplifier.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
You guys are awesome. Keep them coming. If you guys could tell me more from first hand experience about the Deluxe Reverb, the Super Sonic, and the Twin I would greatly appreciate it. As for the poster who asked about the Roland, thanks, but I want to stay with Fender.
With a 2k budget, why don't look at something like the Mesa Boogie Lonestar or a Dr. Z?
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by MrGuitarGuy01
You guys are awesome. Keep them coming. If you guys could tell me more from first hand experience about the Deluxe Reverb, the Super Sonic, and the Twin I would greatly appreciate it. As for the poster who asked about the Roland, thanks, but I want to stay with Fender.

The Twin Reverb is incredibly versatile, freakishly loud when you want it to be, it is built so well that it will probably outlive you, and it takes pedals very, very well. It has been the go-to amp for dozens of pros since its introduction. The only drawback is its weight, but it comes with casters and the exercise will do you good.
Quote by FatalGear41
The Twin Reverb is incredibly versatile, freakishly loud when you want it to be, it is built so well that it will probably outlive you, and it takes pedals very, very well. It has been the go-to amp for dozens of pros since its introduction. The only drawback is its weight, but it comes with casters and the exercise will do you good.

This is MY 1974 Fender Twin Reverb. In May of 1975, my Grandfather bought this brand new. I've still got the "candy" that came with it including the original schematic. He played Guitar through it, played a fiddle mic'd through it, and on occasion used it for a PA. He gigged with it until 1999 when he finally retired it to his closet where my Dad found it when he passed. Dad, not playing guitar and knowing that I do, gave it to me in 2003. I've had it ever since. Gigged with it, hauled it to practice, jam sessions, plugged a 2x12 bugera cabinet into it. About 2 years ago, I took it to an amp tech and he replaced all of the capacitors, tubes and 2 pots... for the low low price of $285.00. I only thought it sounded good before... You can't break it, and it sounds atleast as good today as it did the last time I saw my grandfather play through it in 1978 I think it was...

I can't say enough about this amplifier.. It's really a work horse.. but as Fatalgear41 said.. It's freakin' heavy.... the casters are removable so setting it on a cab isn't a problem.

Fender has not paid me for any of the remarks in this post.
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by sg4ever
With a 2k budget, why don't look at something like the Mesa Boogie Lonestar or a Dr. Z?

this this this a thousand times this
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I'll be adding a '65 Deluxe Reissue to my collection soon. It's my recommendation. Love it.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by LaidBack
this this this a thousand times this

Not that I have a problem with Fender amps for cleans, but if the budget is so high...why be limited to amps that are well under budget. If he really is prepared to shell out 2k, he could purchase a number of amps that do what a good Fender will do in the beautiful cleans and great pedal platform department...better than the Fender can do it.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by sg4ever
Not that I have a problem with Fender amps for cleans, but if the budget is so high...why be limited to amps that are well under budget. If he really is prepared to shell out 2k, he could purchase a number of amps that do what a good Fender will do in the beautiful cleans and great pedal platform department...better than the Fender can do it.

Exactly. My girlfriend's father plays Grateful Dead through a Lonestar Special and I asked to borrow it, as I also play post-rock and wanted to try it out in that genre. It blows my F-50's cleans out of the water. And that's saying something, I love the cleans on my F-50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEmAqrbHHEs

Go to 1:50 then 3:20.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Last edited by LaidBack at Dec 27, 2011,
Quote by sg4ever

Hey, if the man wants a Fender, he wants a Fender. They're fine amplifiers. To each his own.
Quote by FatalGear41
Hey, if the man wants a Fender, he wants a Fender. They're fine amplifiers. To each his own.

He could look at and potentially get something better than a Fender, though.

Post-rock is a pretty diverse genre for amps though, you can pretty much play any guitar through any amp and get post-rock, as long as you have some delay or reverb.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Buy a fender twin and a sunn model t
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Raijouta
He could look at and potentially get something better than a Fender, though.

Perhaps, but "better" is a relative term. The classic Fenders are proven amps, so it isn't an issue of functionality. When people say "better" amp, it usually means they think it sounds better than something else. Others might disagree, though.

Given his budget, the TS has probably considered other brands, but he seems to have set his sights on one of the better Fender amplifiers. He might hear a Mesa or some other high-end brand and decide the Fenders sound better. It is all very subjective.

As I said, to each his own.
Quote by FatalGear41
Perhaps, but "better" is a relative term. The classic Fenders are proven amps, so it isn't an issue of functionality. When people say "better" amp, it usually means they think it sounds better than something else. Others might disagree, though.

Given his budget, the TS has probably considered other brands, but he seems to have set his sights on one of the better Fender amplifiers. He might hear a Mesa or some other high-end brand and decide the Fenders sound better. It is all very subjective.

As I said, to each his own.

Thanks man.
UM, I guess perhaps I am just jaded from my experience with my MB, dont get me wrong, it is nice, but it seems like its not withstanding the test of time. Here in Houston, there is one only licensed MB repairman, and I have sent it to him twice now. Weve replaced the stock speakers with Jensen Neodiniums, weve replaced all tubes, and its still not sounding good. I will definitely look into other amps, so please recommend them. I dont want to amp shop. As much as I like it, I honestly need a good clean loud reliable amp. I used to have a Fender Twin (100watt model) so I know how much it weighs. Back then it was too much amp for me and I didnt know what I wanted, but I remembered it was ****ing loud and clean. I dont know much about SUNN amps, or what they are known for. There is a guy here on CL selling one of his.
I dont mind looking into other brands, but from what I understand Fender is a hard brand to top for clean. Still, give me your recommendations.
Thanks again you guys.
Sunns are known for post-rock and drone. Russian Circles and Sunn O))) use them, as well as a host of other bands that I don't know about.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Sunns are known for post-rock and drone. Russian Circles and Sunn O))) use them, as well as a host of other bands that I don't know about.

What would you describe a Sunn's sound like. What are their abilities, advantages, and disadvantages. In comparison to a Fender Twin, what can you say about it.