I don't mean to sound like such a snob but I'm not interested in any comments saying "hurdur bass doesn't have six strings" and other toss like that. Moving on....

Schecter make these three baritone/bass guitars:

Hellcat
Ultra
Hellraiser C

As you can see, they're all in the style of a Fender-VI (which are about ten grand these days as they were discontinued nearly half a century ago). I am really interested in getting one of these for a couple of reasons:

1. It'd be good solo instrument or something to go with just drums and keyboard, no guitarists involved. Expanding my pedalboard again would make it the greatest shoegaze instrument ever.

2. The Hellcat and Ultra look like really good instruments, lots of tonal options and both look great. (The Hellraiser is only there because its in the same vein.)

3. I can't stop slapping the bass even though I never want to use it in music I make ever.

4. I'm a bass guitarist on a bass guitar course but I've played guitar in as many bands as bass.

The only real downsides I can see are tight string spacing limiting fingerstyle and the 30" scale, 32" would have been nice. I'm also not sure whether the pickups are designed to be bass pickups or guitar pickups, I could easily have them remade by Wizard (assuming he doesn't have a snob-attack again) but its a bit of a faff.

This isn't the kind of post where I just want you to agree with me; if anything, I want you to dissuade me. The thrill is in the chase, after all.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Dec 26, 2011,
Quote by bobthebum16
Out of those, I liked the Ultra

Its what I'm leaning towards but I'm a sucker for the Cure and silverburst. Remember, the Hellcat has a coil tap and the .Ultra doesnt, I think.
In the vid he says "I'm gonna split the pickups so they're all coil tapped" or something like that but idk...I like it the best because it seems/sounds the least like a metal guitar and seems much more versatile.
I'd say more Goth than Metal. The Hellraiser is the metal one but sadly its a generic metal thing like 99% of the stuff Schecter (and countless other brands) make.
Actually I like both the Ultra and Hellcat. Hellcat seems more simple but the Ultra more versatile. But I don't like the Hellraiser, mainly because I don't like any guitar with EMG's...they all sound the same and all are definitely metal guitars
Its a toss between the Hellcat and the Ultra. The Hellcat actually edges out a bit for me, with the more vintage-y sound. I'm a sucker for early sixties / mid sixties tones.
Your avatar change caught me off guard there.

Quote by Spaz91
As you can see, they're all in the style of a Fender-VI (which are about ten grand these days as they were discontinued nearly half a century ago).

They actually did an MIJ RI back in the 90's(?), quite a bit cheaper then an original, but still probably more then you're looking to spend.

Out of the Schecters, I like the Hellcat best. If you want dissuasion though: your fingers might cramp up on such a short scale with such tight string spacing, you may buy it and never ever find the right setting to actually use it in, you may find yourself too busy with regular bass and other things to spend any time practicing with it, there's a reason why they aren't more popular, and if it goes the way of the rest of your stable then it's days are numbered from day 1.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by anarkee
Its a toss between the Hellcat and the Ultra. The Hellcat actually edges out a bit for me, with the more vintage-y sound. I'm a sucker for early sixties / mid sixties tones.

I was thinking of Jack Bruce when I watched it, he managed to play it with his fingers.

Quote by Tostitos
They actually did an MIJ RI back in the 90's(?), quite a bit cheaper then an original, but still probably more then you're looking to spend.

Out of the Schecters, I like the Hellcat best.

I think the Hellcat is winning, if only by price. With VAT and import duty added on, the Hellcat is £530 while the Ultra is £600.
I almost traded my old bass amp for a hellcat before I realized that left me with no amp. Not being a sucker for silver burst or the cure, I can it looked alright minus the doofy headstock.

the hellcat seems to look the most genuine and closer to a fender jazzmaster/jaguar shoegaze look.

I have an esquire with flats I will play two finger style like a bass and it's small space but can be done. I think overall it is more stuck in the less common to use pile because it's strings are not common, and it's kind of stuck in the e standard area of tuning. You can't play any c standard doom riffs, which it seems it would best suited to, or find higher guages of strings for it. As it is you kind of end up either playing a very melodic bright bass style or country tic tac tracks as the guy said, or just playing it like a really chunky rhythm guitar.

I think overall it is probably best served through the hellcat in a garage rock-psychedlic space country band soloed or with a bright guitar like my esquire (which I am currently kind of trying to do with a love of SCOTS, White Stripes, Goober and the Peas and Syd Barrett)

Edit: A looper, a fuzz and delay pedal with a very laid back simple beat drummer would be all you would need
Last edited by askrere at Dec 26, 2011,
But I'd need a keyboardist to emulate strings, brass and synth. I've found a few shops selling the Hellcat in the UK and they all want £600-£650. Honestly, I'd rather pay the extra than faff about with importing one.
Quote by Spaz91
But I'd need a keyboardist to emulate strings, brass and synth. I've found a few shops selling the Hellcat in the UK and they all want £600-£650. Honestly, I'd rather pay the extra than faff about with importing one.

To hell with keys

with a bassy/low mid EQ could it take over for a bass well or do the thinner strings take away from the fact it's an octave down like a bass?
The Hellcat I reckon, it's got a more Fender-y look, which I'm a sucker for, it's also fuelling my personal GAS attack,I might be getting £1000 from my folks soon...o dear...

If you get one, let me know how it goes,and such?
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Well,Im paying out 925 in rent on the 12th, 50 quid in fone bill on the 2nd, I owe my housemates 40 in bills and I do plan on eating this month...fortnightly pay and quarterly rent do not good bed fellows make...its a race...I suspect mr spaz you will win, then, hopefully,get bored,and sell it to me...bwahahaha!! Out of curiousity, you still got my mxr blow torch? or you trade it for sumthing new and snazzy? Im very out of touch here on ye olde forums.

To make this vaguely thread related, what dyu think would sound better for these lil things, thru a guitar or bass amp?? Im thinkin bass?
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by skippy_moogoose
Well,Im paying out 925 in rent on the 12th, 50 quid in fone bill on the 2nd, I owe my housemates 40 in bills and I do plan on eating this month...fortnightly pay and quarterly rent do not good bed fellows make...its a race...I suspect mr spaz you will win, then, hopefully,get bored,and sell it to me...bwahahaha!! Out of curiousity, you still got my mxr blow torch? or you trade it for sumthing new and snazzy? Im very out of touch here on ye olde forums.

To make this vaguely thread related, what dyu think would sound better for these lil things, thru a guitar or bass amp?? Im thinkin bass?

Sold all my pedals, sold all my basses, still trying to sell my amp. My rig is currently an SX Precision and a Fasttrack.

I'd say bass cabs at least, bi-amping with guitar and bass amps would sound awesome.
Quote by Spaz91

I'd say bass cabs at least, bi-amping with guitar and bass amps would sound awesome.

My thoughts too...I really wanna try one through that Big Muff'n you sold me, maybe with a nasty guitar wah too...with some sludgy stoner blues riffage...

as for all your gear gone? what happened? You poor man...
Quote by the humanity
I'd say either of the first two, depending on what your intents on use are. Personally if I was going to get one, I'd almost definitely want a real bass in the band as well, but I could see it being a good thing to have in the studio or to play in a more guitar-y context. I might be more likely to go with the hellcat, but I can see where someone with more modern tastes would want the Ultra.

Basically, for dissuasion: Its a lot of money for something that to me, wouldn't be a go to in the bass department.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I think it goes well in the bass department, but they are something that never really catches on. It makes sense, baritones, extended range, bass VI's all require special parts to an extent, certain strings, and cost to benefit ratio in such a case can be kind of high in favor of cost. Not to mention one brand say Jerry Jones carries a bass VI that's more bass than guitar, and then others have it more guitar than bass, so your almost looking at entirely different instrument with each brand.

I think every bass who sees these gets excited then says wait 6 strings, maybe the rhythm guitarist should play it... WAIT if I tell him about I won't be needed by the band. And guitarists see it as a bass, but are afraid if they tell us about it, we'd buy it and wank as much as them.

Overall though it's something you either have the money to buy it to keep around, or you really need to make a conscious effort to use it over a guitar or bass.
I think its something that only suits a certain mindset,I know a lot of guitarists who wont have me in their band becuase I want to take up as much sonic space as them, equally I know a lot of very very capable bassists who are happy,and indeed excel playing in the pocket...to want on of these there has to be a mix of bassist and frontman in you, you know? they look,and I guess to an extent, feel like a guitar,and to your average joe,they are gonna look like,and hell,even sound like, a big guitar, but they are also,in the bass spectrum!I dunno about you guys,but Ive been playing long enough to have had it up to the gills with your average guitarists ego (call me stereotyping if you will)and to also feel musically competent to give it a go without dealing with that! (saying that,Im always up for a jam with my former guitarist,who lives in a dif city or we'd have a band), Im honestly really digging the idea of one of these,becuz I think,due it looking like "a big geetar" Ive got more chance of making it and selling my songs on it,than with just bass and drums,also I think between Lightning Bolt and DFA 70 there's not much I cud do that hasnt been done,and a growing musical maturity that wud like more strings to play around with and to able to form chord shapes easier...jut my opinion tho
Quote by the humanity
^ Listen to the Cure's latest records. They use this stuff a lot to great effect and there's no missing low end.

I'm throwing this Gretsch into the fray. It's a whole £200 cheaper than the others, it's a Les Paul, it's not a Schecter and IT SPARKLES.
Quote by Spaz91
I'm throwing this Gretsch into the fray. It's a whole £200 cheaper than the others, it's a Les Paul, it's not a Schecter and IT SPARKLES.

I like the Bigsby, but the Jet design with the 30" scale looks kind of disproportionate. Maybe that's just me though.

It does have sparkles though, and everybody loves sparkles.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Not a fan of Bigsby and Octave Tuning.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I actually saw one the Gretsch in a music shop today, Forsyth's in Manchester. I was told that it's usually tuned A-A but would take bass six strings without a problem though it'll need a decent set up. I didn't have a go on it as I had no intention of buying it right there and then, nor did I have the funds. But it looks like we have found a winrar that doesn't have a goofy headstock on it.

Onto the question of mods! A hardtail bridge is a must but I'd like something that hugs the body rather than a tunomatic. New pickups would be a bonus, the SD Rick pickups might fit it. I'd need a different pickguard; white on black is so common, even if it does SPARKLE.
Quote by askrere
Are you customizing it for you? Or planning ahead for the next owner?

I'm guessing it's the latter.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Okay someone has to explain this to me. The Hellcat VI is tuned one octave above a standard bass. But the other two are tuned one octave below a standard guitar. Isn't a bass tuned one octave below a standard guitar? Wouldn't that mean the Hellcat is actually just a guitar tuned like a 6 string bass? And vice-versa????

Edit: What I meant about the Hellcat is that it's a guitar tuned BEADGC.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Last edited by Rawshik at Dec 30, 2011,
Quote by Rawshik
Okay someone has to explain this to me. The Hellcat VI is tuned one octave above a standard bass. But the other two are tuned one octave below a standard guitar. Isn't a bass tuned one octave below a standard guitar? Wouldn't that mean the Hellcat is actually just a guitar tuned like a 6 string bass? And vice-versa????

Octave tuning..
Quote by Rawshik

Edit: What I meant about the Hellcat is that it's a guitar tuned BEADGC.

The Hellcat is in the same octave as a bass guitar. The low E is a .095, the standard for a bass guitar is .100/.105 and it's not tuned like a 6 string bass, it's tuned E to E.

Essentially a Bass VI is a guitar with a long scale (27"-30") tuned exactly one octave down from a guitar. Baritones are usually B to B or A to A, in the guitar octave, but can easily be converted to a Bass VI with a set of Bass VI strings which are made by Fender, LaBella and D'Addario.

/donemyresearch
^ Good man that Spaz, i got the idea of the Bass VI, but baritones were confusing me...cheers for the explanation!
Quote by the humanity