My amp just picked up some radio station when I was playing it... Lol how is that even possible?
It's possessed. You should notify your local Christian priest and have him exorcise the amp for you.
Quote by AWPtic
My amp just picked up some radio station when I was playing it... Lol how is that even possible?

Lots of amplification and lots of wires to act as an Antannae... I used to play a Bar that sat on a corner of 2 major hwy's... My amp would pick up CB's in trucks passing by...

Try moving the amp in the room.. or.. if you know which station it was, you might give them a call... They've got equipment that's supposed to make that not happen...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

guys - it is more than likely an overly microphonic preamp tube.

Not always. I get the occasional radio station because I use shitty cables and my strats pickup cavity needs better shielding. Nothing to do with the amp.
I used to get this with my Marshall CDR-15 if I put it in a certain spot in the room. Weird, but I move it a couple of inches away, and it was fine.
Quote by itamar100
What amp is it?...
I bet it's a
Blackstar ht-5

Why do you say that? Coincidentally, that happened with my HT-40 the other night with the master volume cranked.
PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by Strats&Cats
Not always. I get the occasional radio station because I use shitty cables and my strats pickup cavity needs better shielding. Nothing to do with the amp.

In my case it was truckers that had seriously modified CB Radio's putting out about 5 times more power than allowed... And.. it was a solid state amp... no tubes...

I've talked to a friend of mine that works at a local station, and he was telling me that they've got filtering equipment thats supposed to suppress "rogue" signals broadcasting outside of their frequency... the FCC in the states regulates it pretty strictly...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Dec 26, 2011,
Quote by AWPtic

I know how you feel. Read my NGD thread from a few weeks ago - I got an Engl Savage and couldn't play it because of RF interference.

I got around it by running the signal through two separate filters - one pre-amp and one in the effects loop. I also run the AC power through a conditioner.

Do you only get the RF interference at high gain?
I had two peavy amps that picked up radio stations. Depending on the way you turned the amp you got different stations. It was crazy and a good way to learn to play along with songs.
Quote by 3volved
Why do you say that? Coincidentally, that happened with my HT-40 the other night with the master volume cranked.

Coz blackstars are known for occasionally (very occasionally) doing this.
Any piece of electronic gear is subject to picking up interference. It's really hard to isolate exactly what part of the circuit is picking radio, it can be a cable, it can be your pickups it could be an overly microphonic tube or none of the above.
What I'm trying to say is that it's normal to have that kind of problem and while it could be simple to eliminate, it could also be complicated, so I usually don't worry about it too much.
Fuzz pedals with germanium transistors seem to be a gem for me when picking up AM radio, my fuzz factory was able to get european AM radio through solid state and tube amps (I live in UK). I've also found the vintage-style coil cables I've been using lately act as effective antennas.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
I have this problem, but I didnt notice it until I was recording. I could still see the music coming into pro tools even when I wasnt playing. Once I isolated it I figured out that it was Billy Joel.

So I just turned it up and told everybody to listen to the song I recorded.

Seriously thought. I have some tube issues that my budget wont allow me to repair at the moment. I assume that this is the problem.