Hey UG!

***Not sure if this is supposed to be in this forum or the Guitar Building and Customizing one. If i chose the wrong one, mods please move it.***

So, here's my problem. I bought a Vox AC15C1 last December, so a year ago. It was the display model, so I'm afraid that a lot of unexperienced players were flicking the standby switch on directly after the on/off switch, which probably shortened the tube life.

So I'm looking for some new replacement tubes, as my amp is making some hideous hissing and fuzzing sounds when i play, and often makes high-pitched squeals when i am not. I have no idea what to get tube-wise. If i did my research right, i am supposed to get 2 EL84s and 2 12AX7s, correct?

I would be very if someone could recommend me some exact tube brands that they have had success with.

Thanks.
I'd send an email to www.dougstubes.com or www.tubedepot.com if you are in the States. If not try www.hotroxuk.com. Normally I'd say JJ's make good tubes for both power and preamp. The smaller tubes, the 12AX7s, are your preamp tubes. I'd start by swapping those around and getting one or two ones. If that doesn't help, move onto the power tubes. If you have decent budget for new tubes let us know and we can recommend something better, like JAN Phillips 5751 for pre's and SED for power.
go russian.

6П14П / 6P14P; bog standard version, large thick glass = EL84, 6BQ5

6П14П-EB / 6P14P-EV; hardened version, longer lifetime = EL84M, 7189

6П14П-EP / 6P14P-ER; special quality, longer lifetime = E84L, 7320 (quite rare)

6П14П-K / 6P14P-K; hardened version, vibration resistant = EL84F (very rare)
mojostompboxes.com
For the Vox you will want good power amp tubes. It is likely that the Vox itself, and not people misusing the stand by switch, is the reason for shortened tube life. Vox runs the EL84s very hot to get that sound out of them.

The Vox uses 3 12ax7s and 2 EL84s. I tend to use JJs for the power amp in a Vox due to the fact that it runs them so hot.
Ok, thanks for the help! I think im gonna use 311ZOSOVHJH's idea and start with the preamp tubes. It sounds like you guys like JJs, so I'll get them. I don't really want to spend too much on tubes unless it is really necessary.

EDIT: 311ZOSOVHJH, what do people here on UG call you? For short?
Last edited by treimer at Dec 27, 2011,
Quote by treimer
Ok, thanks for the help! I think im gonna use 311ZOSOVHJH's idea and start with the preamp tubes. It sounds like you guys like JJs, so I'll get them. I don't really want to spend too much on tubes unless it is really necessary.

EDIT: 311ZOSOVHJH, what do people here on UG call you? For short?

You can call me 311.

I usually recommend JJ's all the time simply because I like them, they are readily available, cheap and fairly good quality. That last component may be changing due to some rumors we've heard but for right now, today, the JJ EL84s and 12AX7s that are out there are probably fine.

It is my understanding that the JJ EL84s in particular have been really outstanding over the past several years. The ones that are made today may be suspect so ask about them before you buy. That is why I pointed you to Doug, as I believe he still has some in stock that are good. Otherwise, you should be pretty good with Ruby or SEDs. He has some nice picks for preamp tubes as well so ask him about those. I bought a JAN Phillips 5751 off of him and that tube works really well in V1 and as a Phase Inverter. I will be buying some more from him.

Generally NOS tubes will be best if you can afford them. Those will typically be found on the internet like eBay. They were made much better back then and have better tone too but it takes some research to figure out what to look for.

I like JJ's in my amp but I like a darker, rounder tone as my amp is a pretty bright amp. I've tried Tung Sols in my amp (and an old Valveking) and it was way to bright for my tastes but I'm more of stoner, doom, sludge, thrash, metalcore kinda guy. But generally Tung Sols are of good quality and have a bit more gain, like JJs do.

Hope that helps,

Basically, email Doug.
SED don't make an EL84 as far as I'm aware.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If SED made EL84's I wouldn't be so worried about the rumours of JJ EL84's recent decline in quality.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
please don't necro, especially to add three useless letters.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/