I bought a shure SM57 today for recording and was wondering how loud i should have my eq for recording I am afraid i will blow the mic out or something.
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
You most likely won't "blow the mic out." Just make sure that the mic's input level isn't set all the way up, and you can get your amp fairly loud. In the audio program you're using, adjust the mic input to prevent peaking and you should be fine.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
It really doesn't need to be excessively loud. Just check the db meter on whatever program you use to record and set your level right below the red. As for EQ, it depends on what mic you're using. Some mics add certain frequencies to your sound so you might have to adjust your EQ accordingly.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
You'll want to get it loud enough to warm those tubes up to where they start to shape your tone. (pretty loud) - Your mic will be fine. I've seen people re-amping with their amps WAYYYYYYY up to the point i'd be worried about blowing the cab up!!! Get that mic up nice and close to the cab.

I am curious tho as to what you mean by how loud should I have my EQ? - I assume you mean amp but maybe you are thinking of something else?
Quote by surjer
You'll want to get it loud enough to warm those tubes up to where they start to shape your tone. (pretty loud) - Your mic will be fine. I've seen people re-amping with their amps WAYYYYYYY up to the point i'd be worried about blowing the cab up!!! Get that mic up nice and close to the cab.

I am curious tho as to what you mean by how loud should I have my EQ? - I assume you mean amp but maybe you are thinking of something else?

I meant how loud should i have my amp's master volume i just consider that part of my eq like my bass, overdrive, treble ect.
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
You should have it up as loud as you want to get the sound you want.

There is no set volume level that is best for every amp. TONS of big name recordings were done on amps at very low volume, while others have the amps cranked up as loud as they go. It's all about what sound you are going for.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
You should have it up as loud as you want to get the sound you want.

There is no set volume level that is best for every amp. TONS of big name recordings were done on amps at very low volume, while others have the amps cranked up as loud as they go. It's all about what sound you are going for.

Amen to that! haha. Do whatever gets you the sound you want. Need speaker involvement, get a flash light and watch for the speaker moving. you want the tone a little tighter? go below the level that the speaker is pushing towards you (speaker involvement).

If you're seriously worried about to mic back it off a little from the amp if the tone is workable for you. Ive pushed sm-57's pretty damn loud in all sorts of positions and ive never had anything negative happen to the mic short of the diaphragm screaming in agony from the bad positioning on my part... haha.
"Then I just had a cage full of mice."