Hey guys,

I'm comparing some marshalls, and as the review seccion doesn't have them all I'm writing this thread.

I wanna know the main differences, tonewise, of the Marshall 1987X, JTM45 reissue, BluesBreaker, JVM 205 and Modern Vintage.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Quote by Lespagnol3105
Hey guys,

I'm comparing some marshalls, and as the review seccion doesn't have them all I'm writing this thread.

I wanna know the main differences, tonewise, of the Marshall 1987X, JTM45 reissue, BluesBreaker, JVM 205 and Modern Vintage.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
JTM45 - tweed Fender with more balls
1987 - similar to the JTM45 but brighter and more aggressive
Bluesbreaker - JTM45 in a 2x12 combo
JVM205, vintage modern - completely different amps altogether, not really comparable to any of the other ones which are vintage Marshalls.
I'm not that experienced with Marshalls, but it seems near-universal from what experience with them I do have that they've always been very bright amps (I'd be tempted to say absurdly, undesirably bright). I know a guy with some vintage Marshalls and he runs them with the treble knob all the way down. It still sounds kinda bright.

I'd be curious for the input of others here who have more experience with them if there are some Marshalls that *dont* have this quality, I.E. that you don't have to go out of your way to tame the brightness of. I'd be more interested in them if this is the case.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Dec 26, 2011,
Quote by al112987
JTM45 - tweed Fender with more balls
1987 - similar to the JTM45 but brighter and more aggressive
Bluesbreaker - JTM45 in a 2x12 combo
JVM205, vintage modern - completely different amps altogether, not really comparable to any of the other ones which are vintage Marshalls.

I know they aren't, and they compete in their own leagues but what how are they tonewise?
The Vintage Modern is basically a hot-rodded plexi. It has one channel, but two modes "dynamic ranges". Basically, one called low and one high. The low is the vintage part of the amp. Sounds like a JTM/ Plexi and the high sounds closer to a JCM800. But less harsh. It also has a master volume which JTM's and Plexis don't have.
Quote by Lespagnol3105
I know they aren't, and they compete in their own leagues but what how are they tonewise?
They're not really comparable at all. They're not similar amps.

A JVM is a multi-channel, modern high gain amp. Don't get me wrong, it actually sounds pretty good and is pretty versatile (I suppose, I don't do high gain, but my experience with it has generally been positive). A vintage modern is basically a high gain amp that has been stripped down to a more simple and basic setup like the old Marshalls had. It's also a solid amp but doesn't really sound much like an old Marshall to me.
Quote by al112987
They're not really comparable at all. They're not similar amps.

A JVM is a multi-channel, modern high gain amp. Don't get me wrong, it actually sounds pretty good and is pretty versatile (I suppose, I don't do high gain, but my experience with it has generally been positive). A vintage modern is basically a high gain amp that has been stripped down to a more simple and basic setup like the old Marshalls had. It's also a solid amp but doesn't really sound much like an old Marshall to me.

Thanks for your help,

I can't try those amps because in the nearest guitar shop they don't have them all, just the JVM. That's why I'm asking for details on sound! I'm going to restart my rig and I'm looking at options to create my own sound, and it maybe in one of those amps. Once Again thanks!
Guitars:
-Ibanez SAS32EX
-Jackson DK2
-Epiphone AJ200

Other:
-Line 6 POD XT Live
What kind of styles do you play? Any kind of reference?

If you want to know what a JTM45/Bluesbreaker sounds like, I have a few clips in my profile. Otherwise, listen to John Mayall's Bluesbreakers album with Eric Clapton. Clapton is using a les paul into a Bluesbreaker on that album. Dickey Betts and Duane Allman both used bass spec 50 watt plexis (model 1986, but close enough to the 1987).

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/al112987/music/play947356
^that is my JTM45 turned up to about 7-8.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 26, 2011,
The JTM45 is the best blues amp ever made (the bluesbreaker is a JTM combo). Stick a nice overdrive in front of them and they'll do anything but modern metal with aplomb. Imo, a cranked JTM is perfect tone. Think early Clapton and Gary Moore.
The 1987 is more ballsy JTM - think Led Zep live.
Vintage Modern is a more modern take on the Plexi - sorta. The nicest amp Marshall have made for many a long year. Will take you from Clapton to Paul Gilbert.
The JVM is a very versatile amp that will go from blues to metal. It is however a bit of a jack of all trades, master of none.

What genres are you playing?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

What genres are you playing?

I play everything from blues to early metallica (think fade to black solos). Some artists that I love their tone are clapton, jeff beck, santana, angus young, BB King, David Gilmour, Slash..
Guitars:
-Ibanez SAS32EX
-Jackson DK2
-Epiphone AJ200

Other:
-Line 6 POD XT Live
Quote by Lespagnol3105
I play everything from blues to early metallica (think fade to black solos). Some artists that I love their tone are clapton, jeff beck, santana, angus young, BB King, David Gilmour, Slash..

Maybe a JVM will do then.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I'd be more inclined towards a Vintage Modern. You'll never get Santana without a Mesa Mark really. The others you'd get close enough with the right pedals. ie. you can't get Gilmour without a Muff.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 27, 2011,
your budget maam,if you are buying it ndw dont,get the axe fx ii
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Quote by Lespagnol3105

Do you HAVE to have a Marshall?

What you really need is a Splawn Quick Rod. It can do all of that plus a little Killswitch Engage type stuff.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

What you really need is a Splawn Quick Rod. It can do all of that plus a little Killswitch Engage type stuff.

I can't find Splawn in Europe...
Guitars:
-Ibanez SAS32EX
-Jackson DK2
-Epiphone AJ200

Other:
-Line 6 POD XT Live
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

+1000
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
They are not a great value in Europe granted but:

http://splawnguitars.com/dealers.htm

In Europe he should just get a Marshall IMO.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp

It's better for me to buy from stores that I already know, like thomann or music store...
Guitars:
-Ibanez SAS32EX
-Jackson DK2
-Epiphone AJ200

Other:
-Line 6 POD XT Live
Quote by JesusCrisp

yeah, that is why I said 'Splawn is not a great value in Europe'

That said, I'm still not convinced Marshall is the way to go. Personally, I loath the JVM. The DSL had QC issues imo and the Class 5 won't fit the needs here. I personally would rather have an Orange or a Laney.
Quote by Lespagnol3105
It's better for me to buy from stores that I already know, like thomann or music store...

For amps like a JTM45 or 1987/1986, your best bet is to have someone reputable build you one rather than buying the Marshall reissues, which are overpriced, don't sound as good, and aren't built as well.
Quote by deepsal
your budget maam,if you are buying it ndw dont,get the axe fx ii

For that sort of money he could get a Laney VH100R with a custom cab loaded with whatever exotic speakers took his fancy and still have change.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
For that sort of money he could get a Laney VH100R with a custom cab loaded with whatever exotic speakers took his fancy and still have change.

i don't know Laney very well, I know that Paul Gilbert and Michael Adkerfeldt use them.. Can you give some info about it?
Guitars:
-Ibanez SAS32EX
-Jackson DK2
-Epiphone AJ200

Other:
-Line 6 POD XT Live
The JTM45/Bluesbreaker and 1987x don't have master volumes. They are power amp distortion amps through and through. They still sound great but you have to get them loud to get them to really sing with overdrive.

The JVM should cover you for everything you want to do, though the JTM would be damn good for the Gilmour/Angus Young/Slash stuff if you can get it loud enough.
Quote by Cathbard
The VH100R can do anything. You'll pull great Marshall tones and more. Good solid British amps.

http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod=VH100R

They seem nice! Another brand a friend of mine suggested me was ENGL. What do you know about them?
Guitars:
-Ibanez SAS32EX
-Jackson DK2
-Epiphone AJ200

Other:
-Line 6 POD XT Live
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I personally would rather have an Orange or a Laney.

+1
RIP Gooze

cats