Lookin' for another guitar that would mostly be used just for classic rock playing. I like the beefiness of the Les Paul but the shape of the SG or any other double cutaway. The double cutaway look and thickness I'm looking for is something like a Yamaha SG or Hamer Studio (for a beefier tone). I hear the Hamer Standard is good too though, I like explorer/firebird shapes too (easy to access upper frets). Looking to spend at most $800 don't mind buying used. What other guitars would you recommend, set neck or neck through? Thanks

- Joe
Last edited by lightningjoe88 at Dec 26, 2011,
What about one of the Fender's Blacktop guitars?

That said, I doubt they'd have the looks your after.
I'll probably get a Fender Standard Strat at some point, but I'm lookin for a guitar with a thick body, stoptail bridge (or Bigsby), set neck or neck through, and 22 frets or higher (With easy access to higher frets).
Grestch G5445T Double Jet™ with Bigsby might be a good option
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by lightningjoe88
Finally, a Grestch not over $1,000! I like that

i have one very similar and really love it. you can find them on the used market in great condition for around $400.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
why look beyond the yamaha sg or sbg guitars? they are exactly what you describe wanting.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
If you want something a little out of the ordinary check your local craigslist and ebay for a Westbury Standard, or even a custom.

Japanese made between something like 1977-83, set neck, mahogany body and came stock with a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge. They're solid, dependable guitars and sound great, but because it's a bit of an obscure name they often go for silly money - I payed £120 for mine!

Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Double Cutaway Les Paul?

Carved Top SG?

'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
I have the perfect guitar for what you are thinking. I just bought one not to long ago and I am in love. Beautiful double cutaway, easy to play, has a great classic rock tone and the pickups can be used as humbuckers or noiseless single coils and it sounds amazing both ways. Plus its only $700 bucks. The quality is outstanding, I've played it live without a backup and had no worries at all. Vox SDC 33

GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
TS, if you're looking for a Yamaha SG, I support you. They're the only SGs I have ever liked. I think it'll probably be right up your alley.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I think the Gretsch is out of the picture cuz of the thick neck joint at the higher frets. I like all these ideas though
Quote by gregs1020
why look beyond the yamaha sg or sbg guitars? they are exactly what you describe wanting.

As always, Greg is bang on.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
It doesn't get much better than the Yamaha SBG3000.

(Invalid img)
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
There is a reason they call then LP Killers.

Get an old 70/80s one.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I'm liking the Yamaha SG/SBG model a lot now. I don't know where I can get one on eBay but I'll keep my eyes open. Thanks
Why hasn't anyone mentioned a prs se yet, they are very classy guitars that you can get used for around that price!
Quote by lightningjoe88
I love it. So sexy. Just needed confirmation that it was a quality guitar.

fcuking great guitars.

find an SG-1000 for about your budget. they are out there.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.