Hello guys I found a Trace Elliot Super Tramp Twin on Craigslist. Its 130 watts x 2 at 8 ohms. Its a solid state amp with a tube pre-amp and uses ECC83 (12ax7) preamp tubes. The guy is asking $250, to me that sounds like a good deal.

So my questions are what do you think of this amp ? Also would this amp be good for rock, punk and blues ?
They are one of the better SS amps out there. Quite nice cleans. Distortion is a bit meh, but for SS not too bad. It makes a good clean platform for pedals. Not sure about price.
They have a tube preamp in the same way that a Marshall Valvestate has a tube preamp - ie. a single 12AX7 in channel 2. It completely slays a valvestate though. Much, much better amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i have a trace elliot speed twin, oddly enough i got it from one of the guitarists from Maylene and the sons of disaster. if you haven't heard of them, they aren't all that well known, but they are on a major label and you can get their CD's at Best Buy.

anyways, mine is all tube, switchable for EL34 and 6L6's, i have 6L6's in it as that is what (i think his name was Dan or Dallas or something it started with a "D" and i recognized him from various pictures.

he bought it second hand somewhere in europe on tour, and had to get it converted to 120 volt by his tech, who put in all Mercury Magnetics Transformers.

it also has a nice Accutronics spring reverb unit.

it has a great clean tone. the OD is pretty good, not really 'high gain' as today's standards, but similar gain to maybe an unboosted JCM or somthing. it has a pull out pot on the OD channel (treble knob) which makes it sound a little more Marshall-esque. it also has a gain boost, which literally adds an extra gain stage (not doing anything else).

its a solid amp. at least 80lbs for a 1x12" T75 combo

it has a lot of nice features and is definitely a solid amp.

that is all i know about them really. i am sorry that a lot of what i know is only from my own, as yours is likely different being a hybrid (which isn't always a bad thing).

there really isn't a lot of info about them (at least mine) they were bought by Gibson IIRC, mine was made before that. i did hear somebody online made a comment that they went downhill in quality once Gibson bought them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Radtastic89
Do you know when Gibson bought them ?

i am sure you could find out, but i wouldn't know any way other than to just start searching on google.

give me a few minutes i will give it a quick try.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
that was fast. assuming wikipedia is accurate. 1998.

tons of info. here is the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trace_Elliot

edit: tons isn't exactly correct. it is shorter than it looked. lol
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Dec 27, 2011,
I own a early version of the Trace Elliot Super Tramp-all tube(not the SS nor the single tube models) The model that I own came out about the same time as their Bonneville Tube combo.
Their is not much info about the Trace Elliot line prior to Gibson buying them in 1998. You can't go by the units serial number because they did not keep track of them,and their were prototypes and production models out there also,so info is up for grabs on early designs. In 2005 Peavey acquired the brand name making Bass and Acoustic amps only.
My opinion is..after Gibson used Trace Elliots knowledge to produce their Goldtone line they had no longer use for them!(Big Dog Eats Little Dog!) The Trace Elliot guitar amps,either tube or ss were good amps..and still are..if your lucky enough to own one!
Holy necrobump, man.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Stormymonday
I own a early version of the Trace Elliot Super Tramp-all tube(not the SS nor the single tube models) The model that I own came out about the same time as their Bonneville Tube combo.
Their is not much info about the Trace Elliot line prior to Gibson buying them in 1998. You can't go by the units serial number because they did not keep track of them,and their were prototypes and production models out there also,so info is up for grabs on early designs. In 2005 Peavey acquired the brand name making Bass and Acoustic amps only.
My opinion is..after Gibson used Trace Elliots knowledge to produce their Goldtone line they had no longer use for them!(Big Dog Eats Little Dog!) The Trace Elliot guitar amps,either tube or ss were good amps..and still are..if your lucky enough to own one!

what is your intent with your statement on a thread that is well over two years old? i probably haven't used mine a dozen times since my last post in here.

i have a pre-gibson and its fine, the one thing i mean to do and havn't done was to get bigger bushings for the reverb tank because it rattles like crazy at high volumes.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!