Anyone else find braggers annoying?

I don't see whats so great about being able to repeatively sweep the same shape over and over. My friend was bragging about how he can sweep everything and anything. He plays all these memorized shapes. He can't improvise well at all. He'll just play shapes and scales really. In my opinion nothing he plays sounds interesting or well phrased, it sounds more like a barrage of 100 wankery notes per second.

I think all he knows is how to sweep really. I use to jam with him and that's all he did, over and over. I use to do all these hybird picking and legato phrases and he would just be like "yeah, cool." and He would then sweep his fingers off. The only time I impressed him is when I did my descending style sweeps, because I suck at ascending and can only do a descending sweep clean and fast.

Am I the only one on this band wagon? It seems that Sweeping = Virtouso status instantly. I understand players like Vai and Michael Lee Firkins sweep but they are also well rounded at every other technique.

In my opinion it's okay not to use every technique as long as you can use the techniques you know and practice in the means of applying them to music. I know Stevie Ray Vaughan probably couldn't sweep, but with the techniques he had, he made some pretty damn good music in my opinion. George Lynch can't sweep, nor does he know a lot of theory and he made some good music. And insert more guitarists like Clapton who can't sweep here in this paragraph.

Is sweeping just a fad now a days because it's technically advanced? Opinions? Stories?

And yes this is a rant more then anything
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
So you have a friend who wanks all over his guitar and you think it's annoying? He's all speed but no feeling or sense of tonality and originality? How brave of you to come to us with that. You may be the only person to hate that kind of playing.

Seriously though, everyone here is going to agree. Half of the problem is that wankery is subjective. Nobody is going to flat out say "yep, screw playing slow...I just try to burn my strings when I play, rhythm be damned".
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
A solo should fit the song. I agree, there is too much emphasis and bragging about certain techniques. They all need to be used appropriatley.
Quote by wyldething
So you have a friend who wanks all over his guitar and you think it's annoying? He's all speed but no feeling or sense of tonality and originality? How brave of you to come to us with that. You may be the only person to hate that kind of playing.

Seriously though, everyone here is going to agree. Half of the problem is that wankery is subjective. Nobody is going to flat out say "yep, screw playing slow...I just try to burn my strings when I play, rhythm be damned".

I understand where you are coming from when you say subjective, but he pretty much does say that with "Screw playing slow...". I swear he'll try to light his strings on fire with his playing before he'll bend a note or slow down to a 16th note. Same with a few other people I know. I don't understand where this be faster then the speed of light thing comes from.

Sure speed is fun for show and to be flashy, but shouldn't there be some taste to it rather then blazing around the fretboard till the thing is pummeled from your fingers?
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
You can either try and convince them that you're right or, and I think this may be the better option, do nothing, pay no attention to them, concentrate on your own playing and assume that they'll come to maturity later.

Until then: cool blog, bro.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Guitarists tend to spend wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much time paying attention to how other people play, comparing their own play and ranting about it and not enough time just playing the instrument.

Who cares how anyone else is playing? Go make music and enjoy the guitar; what other people are doing (other than if you're learning something) is absolutely inconsequential. I use quite a bit of sweep picking myself - why should that have any bearing on what you do, or on what anyone else does?
First, why is this in guitar techniques when, as you said, it's just a rant?

Second, sweeping has become something of a fad among guitarists - especially beginners - just because people have hyped it up to seem like an impossible technique or something, when it's really no different than any other technique: All it takes is good practice.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Some metalhead drummer once asked me to do some nice sweeps.

While I was jamming some bluesy stuff with an ACOUSTIC guitar.
Yes, I find braggers hella annoying.

I find whingers equally annoying.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com