I want to get some tube tone. I see dirt cheap hybrids like the Kustom Contender for 70 bucks. I really would like a Blackheart or Jet City, but if I can get a good sound out of a hybrid amp, that would be nice. I use distortion pedals for my amp anyway. I play punk and just about any music that can be labeled as alternative. I also considered a tube preamp. Any suggestions out there would be nice. I'd prefer a combo, but I could make a head work as well, I just bought an Eminence Black Powder, so a quick mod and I'll make my SS a cab.
well if oyu want cheap tube amps look at bugera
the v22 is about 300 bucks and its al tube and its a great amp at the price

but a budget would be nice

edit if your looking for tube tone the best thing for it would be to get a tube amp
and if its a hybrid get one thta have a tube power amp which is where the tubey sound comes from for the most part
Last edited by supersac at Dec 26, 2011,
Well, I was trying to stay under 200 bucks which would just give me enough for a blackheart or jet city.
I have decided to either go with the Bugera v5, or Kustom Contender. Two big points for the contender, first, it comes with a Celestion speaker. The Bugera comes with its own Bugera speaker, which doesn't mean it HAS to be bad, but knowing the Contender has a celestion is very comforting. Second, I literally can't find ONE BAD REVIEW about the Contender. Granted, there aren't many out there compared to the Bugera. Now, the Bugera has two big points for having a cab sim line out. I like to record a lot, and that would make the process much easier. And the bigger point, it is all-tube. The downside for the Bugera is that it seems to have a lot of dependency problems. Several reviews claim that they have died one way or another. Bugera also has reverb while the Kustom does not. Sadly to admit, the fact that I can get a Contender for 70, while the Bugera is in the 125 range is making me want the Kustom. But again, not a single bad review for the Kustom. If anyone would like to chime in with advice, I'd be greatful.
Spider amps have celestions as well, doesn't make them better than Vypyrs.

Perhaps actually look up how both amps sound for yourself?

Sounds like the Bugera would be better for you, despite their poor quality.,
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
kustom defender 5 watt is only 169 for the combo. save up some more.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by ethan_hanus
I saw a great deal in my Muscians Friend mag for a Jet City JCA20H for $250 for the head...I'm actually considering that myself.... That'd work great for you.

me too. its either that of the kustom defender 5h for me.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A