I have pro tools MP9 and a c600 fast track interface and I was just curious if I'd be able to DI a tube amp into the interface and use a cab sim to get the distortion I want from the amp. For example, using a Mesa Dual Rectifier and an amp sim to get the tone while recording.
I doubt it. My experience with DI means loss of tone quality, it is MUCH better if you can mic it up. That's not to say it's unbearable, just probably not what you want, it will probably sound either tinny or maybe less gain, it just depends, and is hard to describe.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Well, I don't have a sound proofed space for recording with a mic, so I doubt it would sound worse than the conditions I have atm. Plus, I have a Spider IV for distortion atm soooo yeah. Would it be better than that?
You'd be surprised. I don't have a sound proofed space either, I even recorded with the TV going, it just sounds a whole lot better than DI. I haven't heard anything about the Spider IV in specific, but Spiders have a bad track record, your Mesa should (had better be) better. If I had the time, I would record two examples, one DI, one miced, but I really can't at nearly 11 while everyone's asleep. It does require the amp to be cranked rather high. I still say to mic it if at all possible.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
The Mesa was hypothetical, I wish I had it. XD I'm just looking into buying a tube amp for recording a better distortion sound as the one I have isn't clean enough for what I'm doing. I was just curious as to how that worked, you say that even with a constant fan in the recording room (from my computer) would still sound better than the DI?
Where would I find a dummy load? Also, it seems so far that micing it would be the better option.
Had me going there for a second, I really thought you believed the Spider would be a better choice.

I think that depends on the mic. I have one (don't have a clue what it is, just found it somewhere, no brand or anything on it) that is probably worth less than $10, but sounds really good set up against the grill. All I know about it is that it seems cheap, but works good. As a matter of fact, I recorded something with the backing track going full volume on my computer and my amp right beside the computer, and the guitar completely drowned out the other noise, it was only noticeable when I didn't play (where I could mute the track, if necessary, but it was really quiet). If you've got a microphone just sitting around somewhere (other than a computer mic), plug it in and try it out, just remember to get it loud and to put the microphone either on or very close to the grill, offset if you like, but that's another story.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
I have a senheiser that's on par with an SM57 so the mic's not an issue, it's the fan in the background. :P
Well try it out, see how it does.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
Quote by darkwolf291
No tube amp I can think of has a Line out.
Hooking the speaker out into the interface would probably blow the output transformer if it doesnt have a dummy load.

There are a LOT of tube amps that have an unbalanced line out.

@OP, it can definitely be done...the tone will be 'okay' and with good impulses you can have a decent track...but I would definitely recommend placing a mic in front of the amp once you are able to do so.
Twitter
Soundcloud

ESP LTD EC-500
Krank Krankenstein
Krank Krankenstein 4x12 Cabinet
Alesis M-EQ 230
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby GC95
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2