I'm in the market for a new amp, and I think that I want to go with a low watt amp that can handle high gain. I won't really be asking much out of this amp; it will primarily be used for at home practice, jamming with a drummer, and the occasional small gig. I mostly play music in the styles of good 80's Metallica, Pantera, and Opeth. A good clean channel would be preferred, but I'd be willing to sacrifice a bit on that. Also, I have a budget of $750. I was leaning towards a Blackstar HT-20. Would that work out for my needs? Thanks for the replies!
Blackstars a great option, Orange Dark Terror is great too.

Going used you might find some good deals too, if your willing to go used.
Dark Terror, Mini Recto, boosted Jet City 22h and HT-20 would all probably work well for you. Bear in mind that the DT is single channel so you won't be able to switch between clean and dirt on the fly.
...Free from it all...
...Breathe in the darkest fall...

...We laugh and cry though a brothers eyes for now...

I'm cool because I have lyrics in my sig.

You can call me Rob.
Peavey Ultra 60/JSX 50. There's always a volume knob. Sounds way better than the HT's.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
The Cleans on the Blackstars are very good. Better than those on the JCA20. The Mini Recto will probably fall outside your price range though that would be what I suggest. There's a lot of bandwagoning on the Jet City, and a lot of negative bandwagoning on the Blackstar.

YMMV, but I own a HT-40 because I think it sounds good, and I really didn't like the JCA20.
I was thinking about the HT-5, but it seems like it wouldn't have enough volume to keep up in a band situation. Am I right or wrong?
Jet City JCA 22h and 2x12 cab.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
having wattage does not equal volume. it equals headroom for cleans and preamp gain for metal and available bass response. that said a 1 watt amp won't compete with a hard hitting drummer, but some 100 watt amps are fine for home use. it depends on the individual amp.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/msg/2738108741.html renegade head, asking $600. get him down to $500 or about. it can be run at 18 watts as well as 65 watts.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/msg/2768784277.html get this cab down to $250. it should match up well providing you don't run the amp at full bore wide open on the 65 watt setting.

be nice, talk to these guys, good luck!

another option would be a baron snott watt and a 112 cab of some sort. but snotts take a couple months build time.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 27, 2011,
Quote by gregs1020
having wattage does not equal volume. it equals headroom for cleans and preamp gain for metal and available bass response. that said a 1 watt amp won't compete with a hard hitting drummer, but some 100 watt amps are fine for home use. it depends on the individual amp.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/msg/2738108741.html renegade head, asking $600. get him down to $500 or about. it can be run at 18 watts as well as 65 watts.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/msg/2768784277.html get this cab down to $250. it should match up well providing you don't run the amp at full bore wide open on the 65 watt setting.

be nice, talk to these guys, good luck!

another option would be a baron snott watt and a 112 cab of some sort. but snotts take a couple months build time.

I was thinking snot watt too. I would rather wait on that than grab an ht. Could talk to him about a 15 watt snot and save for a used cab while it's being built.

ts, also look at the randal diavlo, it should be able to do what you are looking for. The Diavlo requires no biasing, can take different tubes, it's 50 watts to get over a drummer. Here is the best video of it that I have found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1pS0LUeeFo
Last edited by Grawgos at Dec 27, 2011,
Quote by gregs1020
+1.

But if the watts really bother you, Carvin V3Mc: http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=V3MC

It's 50w, but you can use the volume knob. You don't HAVE to blast the living shit out of it to get a good sound.
Quote by Dan_5893
The Cleans on the Blackstars are very good. Better than those on the JCA20. The Mini Recto will probably fall outside your price range though that would be what I suggest. There's a lot of bandwagoning on the Jet City, and a lot of negative bandwagoning on the Blackstar.

YMMV, but I own a HT-40 because I think it sounds good, and I really didn't like the JCA20.

The cleans on the HT-20 are god-awful. NO headroom whatsoever. I could actually get feedback out of the clean channel.

EDIT: The HT-5 would definitely not work for a band situation. I sold my HT-20 because of lack of volume and headroom. A HT-40 might be better for clubs.

The Orange Dual Terrors are pretty cool. Maybe a Dark Terror?
Last edited by the1 at Dec 27, 2011,
Quote by the1
The cleans on the HT-20 are god-awful. NO headroom whatsoever. I could actually get feedback out of the clean channel.

EDIT: The HT-5 would definitely not work for a band situation. I sold my HT-20 because of lack of volume and headroom. A HT-40 might be better for clubs.

The Orange Dual Terrors are pretty cool. Maybe a Dark Terror?

I'm surprised to hear that about the cleans on th HT-20. All the reviews and all the YouTube videos I watched said that the cleans weren't fender like but definately useable. Also, I think the dark terror is out of the question because it is a one channel amp. Im going to check out all of the amps suggested and see if I can make up my mind. Y'all were a lot of help thanks a lot.
I have an HT-40 and a 112 Blackstar cab to go with it. Cleans sound great IMO and it's plenty loud for living gigging in bars/clubs.
PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by hconn
I'm surprised to hear that about the cleans on th HT-20. All the reviews and all the YouTube videos I watched said that the cleans weren't fender like but definately useable. Also, I think the dark terror is out of the question because it is a one channel amp. Im going to check out all of the amps suggested and see if I can make up my mind. Y'all were a lot of help thanks a lot.

They're nice at low volume, but you have to have the amp literally cranked ina live situation, and there's just no headroom. If you weren't cranking it, they'd be fine though.