i just need to vent a bit and you guys may get a kick out of reading about my misfortune, plus you may be able to cheer me up. its a long one so bare with me.

so a few moths ago i bought a car to replace the first car i ever got, because it was falling apart and it was ugly. the replacement is a used impala (don't ask what year i dont know) it was driving wonderfully had a great sound system and looked sexy.
less then a week after i bought it the problems began, it does this thing where when i try to start it, it shakes violently and all the lights on the dash light up and it wont go over 5mph.
i have taken it in several times but it coincidentally never does it when its being looked at. i have began to notice a pattern however, if it is left off for a certain amount of time, it works fine, but if its off for just a few minutes, like if i go into the store and back, then thats when it does its stupid crap.
now, today i have been very bored, and when im bored i get angry easily, one way i cope with boredom is to take a ride in my car and blast music, its just relaxing to me somehow. so about an hour and a half ago i decided i would do just that, i hadent driven in over four hours, it should be fine right? nope.
so i get into my car put the key in and it does its dumb thing, so i just snapped. i threw my keys at the windshield from inside then got out of the car and kicked the door which broke my big toe, and that got me even angrier so i threw my keys which i had just picked up at the side window, grabbed a few rocks and chucked them at the car.
once i calmed down i got a flash light to go look for my keys which were lost in my rage, after a few minutes i found them in the bushes, the keys were intact but my jump drive key chain thing that holds most of my music was in pieces. i can replace the jump drive, and i couldn't care less about the car, im just concerned about my toe.
thanks for reading if you did, yes i know i am stupid :P
IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Schadenfreude.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I used to have the same problem with my car doing that, unfortunately it was never diagnosed because it never did it in front of other people. And about the anger, i have a temper aswell and usually after an outburst i feel like a tool.

Oh plus why fid you kick your car with your toe?? Why not a full on boot with the bottom of your foot?
You are part of the rebel alliance, and a traitor.

Quote by The9
I used to have the same problem with my car doing that, unfortunately it was never diagnosed because it never did it in front of other people. And about the anger, i have a temper aswell and usually after an outburst i feel like a tool.

Oh plus why fid you kick your car with your toe?? Why not a full on boot with the bottom of your foot?

i dont usually kick when fighting people, so i dont really know how to do it right. and i would have punched it, but after experiences with broken knuckles, i dont punch inanimate objects.
IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
it seems to me that your car is stuck in what is referred to as "limp mode." It's your cars' pcm (powertrain control module, or simply computer) default setting when serious mechanical issues are present. so in an emergency, you can "limp" somewhere safe. if this randomly occurs, it's a sign the pcm is faulty. a new one will run somewhere in the realm of a few hundred dollars, depending on the missing factor here, the year of your impala... hopefully that helps. is there a doctor in the house? nope, just your average everyday technician... after thought... sicne it runs sometimes, the computer probably isn't completely fried. when it happens, pop the hood, disconnect the negative (black) battery cable, wait about a minute, reconnect. this is enough time to reset the pcm. see what happens. it might get it out of limp mode long enough to get you where you need to be.
Last edited by negativemilitia at Dec 27, 2011,
Quote by negativemilitia
it seems to me that your car is stuck in what is referred to as "limp mode." It's your cars' pcm (powertrain control module, or simply computer) default setting when serious mechanical issues are present. so in an emergency, you can "limp" somewhere safe. if this randomly occurs, it's a sign the pcm is faulty. a new one will run somewhere in the realm of a few hundred dollars, depending on the missing factor here, the year of your impala... hopefully that helps. is there a doctor in the house? nope, just your average everyday technician...

thank you i shall get that specifically looked at, i appreciate the advice.
IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
haha dude i threw my keys at my car's windshield once out of rage too, broke that mo fucka... I also broke my big toe when I was pissed and kicked a wall, it's like we're brothers lol...anger makes you do stupid things man, tis why I am in court ordered anger management classes now
Quote by lbc_sublime
i'm a mechanic is your check engine light on?

yeah the check engine light is almost always on.
IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Quote by ssjmitch
thank you i shall get that specifically looked at, i appreciate the advice.

could be a bad pcm could also be as simple as a bad ground for the pcm too or bad grounding for the coil packs, could also be problems with the mass air flow sensor ...etc.

that why i ask if they check engine light is on. if it is use an OBD2 computer to help diagnose it you can get one cheap now. and once you know the code you can look it up and their should be a list of things to check in order of more likely to happen.

not that the guy gave you bad advice but it is not wise to simply change anything with out a diagnosis first than your just a parts changer.
song stuck in my head today

Quote by lbc_sublime
could be a bad pcm could also be as simple as a bad ground for the pcm too or bad grounding for the coil packs, could also be problems with the mass air flow sensor ...etc.

that why i ask if they check engine light is on. if it is use an OBD2 computer to help diagnose it you can get one cheap now. and once you know the code you can look it up and their should be a list of things to check in order of more likely to happen.

not that the guy gave you bad advice but it is not wise to simply change anything with out a diagnosis first than your just a parts changer.

yeah i was gonna get that pcm thing checked by a mechanic either way, i just dont trust myself with mechanical things. but ya thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys
IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
i never said just to go change it.. now he knows where to start the diagnosis. but the number one leading question after a diagnosis is "how much?" take it to any auto parts store and they"ll read your code for free. a mass airflow sensor won't cause the dash lights to come on like they are, neither will the coil packs... it's pcm related. definitely could be a faulty ground though, good looks on that. not trying to start an argument, but i refuse to be called a parts changer....
Quote by ssjmitch
yeah the check engine light is almost always on.

ok well what you have to do is plug in an ODB2 scanner into the data port located usually under the drivers side looks like this

the computer is gonna give you a code like P0301. this code is the computers way of telling there is a problem in a circuit. the conputer self diagnosis to an extent.

once you get the code like i said depending on the scanner it should give you an idea of what to check depending on the problem.

for example a P0301 is a code for cylinder 1 misfire detected. it will tell you to check the wire an plug, than check the coil and coil drivers/distributor cap and grounding, if still good check compression, if still good check connector continuity to computer and wiring harness. just as an example

basically get the check engine light scanned and fixed.
song stuck in my head today

Last edited by lbc_sublime at Dec 27, 2011,
Quote by negativemilitia
i never said just to go change it.. now he knows where to start the diagnosis. but the number one leading question after a diagnosis is "how much?" take it to any auto parts store and they"ll read your code for free. a mass airflow sensor won't cause the dash lights to come on like they are, neither will the coil packs... it's pcm related. definitely could be a faulty ground though, good looks on that. not trying to start an argument, but i refuse to be called a parts changer....

i didnt mean to say that your advise was bad, because it wasn't i just meant i myself always screw up with anything car or electronics related so i needed a mechanic to do the actual thing for me. i apologize for coming across wrong.
IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
that wasn't directed you ssjmitch.. the other mechanic! i just needed to clarify for my own sake that i wasn't telling you just to go buy a new computer, because i'm sure lbc_sublime has heard way too many people say "yep, bad computer." soooo.. we're all good then? great. get that shit fixed! hope it's easy and cheap for ya my man. good luck.
Quote by lbc_sublime
ok well what you have to do is plug in an ODB2 scanner into the data port located usually under the drivers side looks like this

the computer is gonna give you a code like P0301. this code is the computers way of telling there is a problem in a circuit. the conputer self diagnosis to an extent.

once you get the code like i said depending on the scanner it should give you an idea of what to check depending on the problem.

for example a P0301 is a code for cylinder 1 misfire detected. it will tell you to check the wire an plug, than check the coil and coil drivers/distributor cap and grounding, if still good check compression, if still good check connector continuity to computer and wiring harness. just as an example

basically get the check engine light scanned and fixed.

aight i shall get on that tomorrow, im getting tired from the pain meds i took lol, so im gonna head to sleep.
again thanks for all the advise and whatnot everyone i really appreciate it.
IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Knowing the year would help. I mean, it's your car, most people know the year of the car they drive, mechanically inclined or not....

I doubt your PCM is fried, that doesn't usually happen completely out of nowhere, unless you tried to jump it off and hooked up the cables backwards or something.

But what you described could be a number of other things. When you first turn your key to the on position, all your warning lights are supposed to light up to show they're working properly, then shut off once the engine is running.

So basically your problem is the car shakes violently on startup and doesn't accelerate properly. It does sound like "limp in mode", but it's hard to say what the cause could be...

Your car's PCM is constantly monitoring a bunch of sensors at the same time and comparing the different values... O2 sensors, manifold absolute pressure, mass air flow, throttle sensors, speed sensors.... when there's a certain value from one that doesn't make sense to your PCM compared to another, like an extreme difference, it goes into limp in mode to prevent any major damage to the car, and to keep the car running just enough so you can get somewhere safe, instead of being stuck in the middle of an intersection or something.

Example, say your TPS was reporting wide open throttle, but the VSS says you're going 15 MPH, it's extreme differences like this that cause the PCM to go into limp mode rather than simply setting off a check engine light.

Someone else already suggested this, I would try pulling off the negative battery cable for about a minute or so and reconnecting it. If that doesn't fix it, take it to a mechanic.

It's hard without actually seeing it, but I hope my two cents helps out a little.
Last edited by CaptDin at Dec 27, 2011,