first off, if this is against any forum rules, i understand if you close it.

i do not know much about computers, i do not really know anybody who is other than my dad, and i don't know where to ask but i have tried EVERYTHING that i can think of.

the thing that is making this difficult is that i cannot locate the original CDs to format the hard drive. i have deleted all files, pics got as well as mp3's (got moved to another computer). i got rid of any application that i didn't use or need. i tried to use various scans for things, virus detector things, i have defragmented the hard drive,

but i am really looking for help. i have a laptop, and it runs really slow.

it really sucks to get recording stuff for Christmas and not be able to use it. lol.

if you know of any legit scanning program or anything like that (preferably free) that works great and would help me out.

the computer is a compaq, has 1 gig of RAM and a 80 gig hard drive. the DAW is the light version of Pro tools, and the interface is an M-Audio Fast Track Pro.

thanks, hopefully i can get some help, and again i understand if it gets locked or deleted, i don't really know where to get an answer from.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The memory the system is asking for is NOT hard drive memory. In reality that does very little for performance unless the drive is badly fragmented. The problem is the RAM; 1gb is simply not enough. I wouldn't be happy working with a DAW with at least 3 gig of ram. Some Laptops allow you to upgrade the ram chips. I'd recommend looking into that.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I have the worse version of this laptop (came with 512mb RAM and a 70GB HDD) and I also had an M-Audio Fast Track Pro interface with some software called Session. I upgraded the RAM to 2GB (cheap and easy to do) and then formatted the computer.

I don't know the specifics of your problem. I do however know that if you want your computer running faster (noticeably faster), you NEED to format it.

Otherwise, begin uninstalling programs you don't use. This is far more helpful that deleting data. THEN type msconfig into the start menu and go to the start up tab and untick any programs that are not vital. This should free up your RAM.

(N.B. please make sure you know what you're doing first).

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
Last edited by s-o-u-l-f-l-y at Dec 27, 2011,
Quote by s-o-u-l-f-l-y
I have the worse version of this laptop (came with 512mb RAM and a 70GB HDD) and I also had an M-Audio Fast Track Pro interface with some software called Session. I upgraded the RAM to 2GB (cheap and easy to do) and then formatted the computer.

I don't know the specifics of your problem. I do however know that if you want your computer running faster (noticeably faster), you NEED to format it.

Otherwise, begin uninstalling programs you don't use. This is far more helpful that deleting data. THEN type msconfig into the start menu and go to the start up tab and untick any programs that are not vital. This should free up your RAM.

(N.B. please make sure you know what you're doing first).

This can help to an extent, if you defrag your harddrive after doing this then the ram will have to hold data for shorter periods, as the data will be closer on the drive.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
a few years ago i bought two 1 gig ram chips, i put them in, but got tons of blue screens, and at the time was living with a computer wiz and he couldn't get it figured out either so i put the 512meg's back in.

i have uninstalled everything that is not vital, as far as i know. no games (not even like the chess and solitaire). i took off Microsoft Office, everything really.

am i wasting my time trying to get this cleaned up? would there be a way that i could get the discs for setup somewhere? if i had them i would erase the drive. it is running Vista by the way.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
a few years ago i bought two 1 gig ram chips, i put them in, but got tons of blue screens, and at the time was living with a computer wiz and he couldn't get it figured out either so i put the 512meg's back in.

i have uninstalled everything that is not vital, as far as i know. no games (not even like the chess and solitaire). i took off Microsoft Office, everything really.

am i wasting my time trying to get this cleaned up? would there be a way that i could get the discs for setup somewhere? if i had them i would erase the drive. it is running Vista by the way.

There's the problem. Vista is the biggest bit of sludgeware that Microsoft has ever managed to pass buy it's somewhat lacklustre quality control department.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
just a suggestion:
http://ubuntustudio.org/

i record mostly with mac/garageband, but it's fun to mess around in Ubuntu and my 2gb macbook runs Ubuntu Studio pretty flawlessly (albiet twice as powerful as yours, but i had lots of effects enabled and stuff too.)

if you don't have anything but your DAW open it should work fine.

that being said, your hardware may not be compatible with linux and you may not want to switch to a different DAW, but it's worth a shot imo.

or you could try downgrading to Windows XP.
Yea Vista is pretty much garbage. You could research into things you can disable in BIOS and when Windows startup. A lot of programs automatically load up when Windows boots up, so it'll run faster if you disable them. You can download a free program called Ccleaner that'll help tidy up your pc. Reaper is a pretty good DAW that is free for sixty days ($60 after that, which is well worth what you get). You should look into freezing tracks after you get your desired effects in place.

But really you need a new laptop or some upgrades. Like said before you need at least 3 gigs of RAM. Windows 7 works very well with the recording programs and plugins that I have used. I know a lot of people that go the Mac route, though I've never really used one.
i will just get another computer. i am trying to buy a newer desktop off of my dad, and i guess i will have to try harder. his is like 8 gig of ram and 1tb it has a good processor in it too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
A desktop will be better than a laptop, unless you need mobility. Hopefully it's a good dual core or better. I've done all my recording via laptop, but mine has enough power to handle everything I'm doing.
Quote by ronhoward
A desktop will be better than a laptop, unless you need mobility. Hopefully it's a good dual core or better. I've done all my recording via laptop, but mine has enough power to handle everything I'm doing.

i knew the laptop wasn't going to be as good as a desktop, but it wont work out. my office and studio are located on opposite corners of the house.

his is really nice. its pretty new and my dad is the all or nothing type, so i would imagine it was pretty much all you could get two years ago.

and hell when i get a desktop i dont even know where i would fit it.

i bet half of you would laugh your ass off if you saw how full my studio is, i dont know where a desktop would go, but i will get it in there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by ChemicalFire
There's the problem. Vista is the biggest bit of sludgeware that Microsoft has ever managed to pass buy it's somewhat lacklustre quality control department.

+1. A gig of RAM really isn't enough to even handle much else than surfing the internet on Vista. 1 GB would've been fine if you were running XP, but on a more modern day computer, you're going to need much more RAM and processing power than that.

If you're even somewhat serious about recording, you need to upgrade to a newer computer. Not upgrade the computer. Upgrade to a new computer.

For ~$400 now, you could get a desktop that has 10x the specs of your laptop. $7-800 will buy you a pretty top-tier system on a desktop, or a laptop, that should last you quite a while.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
+1. A gig of RAM really isn't enough to even handle much else than surfing the internet on Vista. 1 GB would've been fine if you were running XP, but on a more modern day computer, you're going to need much more RAM and processing power than that.

If you're even somewhat serious about recording, you need to upgrade to a newer computer. Not upgrade the computer. Upgrade to a new computer.

For ~$400 now, you could get a desktop that has 10x the specs of your laptop. $7-800 will buy you a pretty top-tier system on a desktop, or a laptop, that should last you quite a while.

i found one i was interested in at sam's club,$800 with 24"monitor included. 8 gig of ram 1.5tb hard drive, looked very nice, not sure about other things though. if i could justify the money for it i would pick it up but i cant at the moment. when i pick up a computer or buy my dad's THEN i will drop it all at once, get an interface with 12 or 16 channels, Pro-Tools, etc.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i found one i was interested in at sam's club,$800 with 24"monitor included. 8 gig of ram 1.5tb hard drive, looked very nice, not sure about other things though. if i could justify the money for it i would pick it up but i cant at the moment. when i pick up a computer or buy my dad's THEN i will drop it all at once, get an interface with 12 or 16 channels, Pro-Tools, etc.

You need to stop worrying so much about the hard drive space, all that changes is how much stuff you can actually store. What processor does it have?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
You need to stop worrying so much about the hard drive space, all that changes is how much stuff you can actually store. What processor does it have?

i realize the hard drive thing, i know you will never use a terabyte, just stating what i remembered.

here is the link to what i think was the same one.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod3690233&navAction=push
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
It's an i5 so that'll easily do the job.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
$800 for an i5 is kind of a rip off, though.

For $800, I wouldn't settle for anything less than a Core i7. Honestly, I wouldn't suggest anyone gets an i5, the price difference between an i5 computer and i7 computer are pretty minimal, and the increase in performance is significant.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
RAM upgrade (i have 4gb), make sure your processor is a decent speed (mine is a 2.2 ghz), and look into a good driver to reduce latency (i use asio).
"Then I just had a cage full of mice."
I'm running an i5 in my Lenovo and it works great. I would've loved to have an i7, but I was short on time getting a replacement laptop so I didn't get to shop around much.
the affair that is authoritative this difficult is that i cannot locate the aboriginal CDs to architecture the harder drive. i accept deleted all files, pics got as able-bodied as mp3's. i got rid of any appliance that i didn't use or need. i approved to use assorted scans for things, virus detector things, i accept defragmented the harder drive,
If u r planning on buying a new desktop i would suggest u to buy 16GB ram, at least 8GB becuz they are so damn cheap these days. In Sweden u can buy 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz for like 100$ and we have 25% NAT so i guess it's even cheaper in Florida.I have 4GB myself and its just isn't enough for my needs. The memory runs low when i use Superior Drummer and some heavy VST's like East West Orchestra and Omnisphere :/