I need/want a tele style guitar. I want a Peavey Reactor, but I can't find one anywhere near me now, and I'm kindly sol for now. So I'm waiting for one to pick up, but what are some other things in my budget to look at? I know my budget is low for it, but I'm eventually going to upgrade the electronics in it and such. I played a Fender MIM Standard Tele today, and it had a good feel, but the pickups left a lot to be desired. I could pick one up on the cheap though. Suggestions?

Budget- $250

Preferences- Must be tele shape. Must have Single Coils. Not too picky on brand, but I want it to be somewhat reliable. Must be a headstock that isn't 3-3 with the tuning pegs.

Favorite artists- My influences that I will this guitar for are along the lines of Two Door Cinema Club, Phoenix, Starf**ker, , and Peter Bjorn and John.

Pickups- Single coils. I have the EC for humbuckers.

Preferable used, obviously low budget here lol.

Location- Louisville, KY

Current gear- LTD EC-1000 with JB/'59, getting a Peavey Classic 30 tomorrow.
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
Peavey Classic 50 power amp
GK Neo 4x10
The Squire Classic Vibe Teles sound amazing. Every one I've played sounded like a higher end Fender. And it would probably be easy to find a used one in your budget.
Last edited by LTGeordiLaforge at Dec 27, 2011,
The logic is flawed here, if you liked the feel of the Fender, buy the fender and put good pups in. Makes little sense to buy a cheap copy that WONT have the same good feel and expect it to have better pick ups...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by LTGeordiLaforge
The Squire Classic Vibe Teles sound amazing. Every one I've played sounded like a higher end Fender.

I've read ALOT of good things about these and saw UG called em some of the best gear out this year. What are the necks like on them? I played a tele once with a smooth finish on the fretboard and it threw me off and it felt cheap.
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
GK Neo 4x10
Just be patient and save the cash for something you really want.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by paintballcrazy7
I've read ALOT of good things about these and saw UG called em some of the best gear out this year. What are the necks like on them? I played a tele once with a smooth finish on the fretboard and it threw me off and it felt cheap.

MIM neck > squier necks. I have an affinity Tele. it has GFS alnicos in it, total cost NEW was about $250 (180 for the guitar, 70 for pickups)

Its not a bad guitar at all, but it doesn't hold a candle to MIM Fenders.
Quote by hawk5211
MIM neck > squier necks. I have an affinity Tele. it has GFS alnicos in it, total cost NEW was about $250 (180 for the guitar, 70 for pickups)

Its not a bad guitar at all, but it doesn't hold a candle to MIM Fenders.

I reckon I'll go with a MIM Fender then. I might as well get what I'm going to like. I'll snag one when I can. Since you mentioned you changed the pickups out, what do you think of the GFS pick ups? I don't really have a problem with the stock Fender neck pick up, but the Bridge pick up has too much shrill for my liking. Any recommendations?
Also, what kind of case you you use? I'll need to get it a small case, I drive a small
'03 Mustang.
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
GK Neo 4x10
Quote by paintballcrazy7
I reckon I'll go with a MIM Fender then. I might as well get what I'm going to like. I'll snag one when I can. Since you mentioned you changed the pickups out, what do you think of the GFS pick ups? I don't really have a problem with the stock Fender neck pick up, but the Bridge pick up has too much shrill for my liking. Any recommendations?
Also, what kind of case you you use? I'll need to get it a small case, I drive a small
'03 Mustang.

GFS makes pretty good pickups. For around $50 you could get a HSC that will fit a telecaster from rondomusic.com
Quote by paintballcrazy7
'03 Mustang.

lol, I drive a Cobalt, so I know about small trunks. For a case, I use the one my MIA strat came with. Just the standard fender hand shell case. Works great.

As for the shrill bridge pickup, it may be like that naturally but you can try adjusting it. I typically like my neck pickup a fair bit closer to the strings than my bridge pickup on a Tele. The balance is better to my ears.

As for the GFS pickups? They are Ok, not stellar. I have their 'professional' alnico ones, the '52 Tele' set in the least hot form they offer. They are clear enough pickups, but are nowhere near as good as the Fender vintage pickups, though the Fenders are twice the price.

I wanted a really old school tele sound, and these pickups do it for me. However, they are likely the least versitile pickups I own, as any distortion just messes them up lol. HOWEVER, as you know with pickups, there are millions out there, and there will be ones for you.

Any other questions, let me know.
Quote by JustRooster
Just be patient and save the cash for something you really want.
+1. No point buying something cheap now just for the sake of it. Think about how much better the guitar could be if you waited just a little while longer and saved up even just another $50-$100. Think about how long a good guitar should last you. Don't buy something crap now just for the sake of getting something ASAP. Wait, save, buy something that will really please you and last a long time.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The logic is flawed here, if you liked the feel of the Fender, buy the fender and put good pups in. Makes little sense to buy a cheap copy that WONT have the same good feel and expect it to have better pick ups...

Fender Tele all day everyday my man, save up! You won't regret it!
You never know what temporal days may bring, laugh, love,live free and sing, when life is in discord, praise ye the Lord-Anberlin

Science is crazy!
Check out the esp ltd distressed tele. Its about 100 more than your budget, but nice guitar for the price.
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
rondomusic.com
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A