Hey there everyone, thought I'd come to you guys for help finding parts, advice and general opinions. I purchased my first Gibson (2010 Faded V in Cherry) back in early October, walked into the guitar shop with some friends who were buying bass strings, saw it on the rack and immediately put a down payment on it. But I can't help but notice that people online bash them and I often see "Not one of those crappy faded models" beside descriptions of non-faded models. While this doesn't bother me per-se, I wouldn't mind customizing it a little.

Now, my friend's father who has 30 years of experience in car restoration, paint and clear coating offered me a labor for labor deal on clear coating my V. I've seen a decked out Les Paul of his, which gives me absolutely no reason to doubt his skills.

Now, before I continue, I'd like to say a few things to avoid obvious comments.
1. I don't intend on selling this guitar [ever], as I am way too attached to it, I want this to be custom to my liking and not for some other fella.
2. I'm getting over the "faded" finish
3. I'm handy with a soldering iron
4. The Faded models have the same 496R and 500T pickups as every other Gibson Flying V (minus the customs)

Alright, so here are the mods I want:
1. Clear coated (gloss like the original Vs)
2. Chrome grovers (can't stand the stock Klusons)
3. Chrome Pickup covers
4. Pearloid Pickguard (looks like I'll need a matching truss rod cover, any idea on where to find one with the Gibson logo on it?)

I'm also considering a bone nut,

Here's a picture I found online of exactly the result I want.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/freebird_71/3915811493/

Thanks guys!
Last edited by 8bitCanadian at Dec 27, 2011,
Leve the neck satin, it is a much "faster" feel than a gloss neck. other than that go for it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Finish: It's more than just putting on a clear coat if you want the same finish as a Standard, the Faded models don't have grain filling and you would have to strip the finish down to bare wood and fill the grain to get a legitimate finish. I have seen people polish out the bodies on these and achieve a gloss finish though.. it just takes some buffing compound, pad, drill, and some time to create this. Personally I'd leave the finish alone, I'm in love with the Faded feel. Plus after you play it for a few years the finish will naturally buff out to a semi-gloss where you're in contact with it (neck, back, bass side of the body, etc)

Tuners: I put Grover 18:1 tuners on my V, they're a huge improvement over the original ones. Everyone claims that Grover tuners don't require you to drill new mounting holes in your headstock but I had to for mine. I dunno if my "Gibson Deluxe" tuners were a weird size or if the 18:1 housings are different than the regular Grovers. Just a thought.

Pickup Covers: I bought a pair of Allparts chrome covers for mine, they didn't fit the 500T in the bridge or the Seymour Duncan '59 I put in the neck. You'll have to pay the ridiculous price for Gibson covers if you want to go that route.

Truss Rod Cover: There's a guy on eBay that sells covers for the Flying V and you can get any color of a logo you want. I ordered a b/w cover with a chrome logo for mine. The cover was just a little too long to fit properly so I had to mill down the bottom edge until it would sit flush against the headstock, after I done this everything lined up and it fit just fine.

Misc: I did the 50's wiring mod on mine and gave my volume knobs independent control of each other. If I have the selector in the middle I can turn the volume to 0 on one pickup and still have output from the other, I like running one pickup's volume real low to give a subtle tone change to the other and with stock wiring it would become muddy/loose sounding. Both of these are totally reversible and don't require any extra parts, just have to swap a few wires around. I also put chrome position indicators on my knobs. If you can't tell I like using the controls on guitars . I've also toyed with the idea of moving the pickup selector to another hole, closer to my picking hand, and moving the controls accordingly. I just haven't done it yet.

Here's a list of mods I've done to mine and pictures afterwards..
-Black/white/black pickguard
-Zebra coil SD '59 neck
-Grover 18:1 tuners
-Black/white truss rod cover
-50's wiring
-Independent volume control

Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Dec 27, 2011,
Quote by -MintSauce-
1. Keep the finish as it is. Those guitars look great.
2. Change the tuners,
3. Put chrome EMGs in.

I do love EMGs, but not in my Gibson, I love the 500T, not so sure about the 496R though. Sort of tempted to put Burstbuckers in it.

Quote by Flux'D
Finish: It's more than just putting on a clear coat if you want the same finish as a Standard, the Faded models don't have grain filling and you would have to strip the finish down to bare wood and fill the grain to get a legitimate finish. I have seen people polish out the bodies on these and achieve a gloss finish though.. it just takes some buffing compound, pad, drill, and some time to create this. Personally I'd leave the finish alone, I'm in love with the Faded feel. Plus after you play it for a few years the finish will naturally buff out to a semi-gloss where you're in contact with it (neck, back, bass side of the body, etc)

Tuners: I put Grover 18:1 tuners on my V, they're a huge improvement over the original ones. Everyone claims that Grover tuners don't require you to drill new mounting holes in your headstock but I had to for mine. I dunno if my "Gibson Deluxe" tuners were a weird size or if the 18:1 housings are different than the regular Grovers. Just a thought.

Pickup Covers: I bought a pair of Allparts chrome covers for mine, they didn't fit the 500T in the bridge or the Seymour Duncan '59 I put in the neck. You'll have to pay the ridiculous price for Gibson covers if you want to go that route.

Truss Rod Cover: There's a guy on eBay that sells covers for the Flying V and you can get any color of a logo you want. I ordered a b/w cover with a chrome logo for mine. The cover was just a little too long to fit properly so I had to mill down the bottom edge until it would sit flush against the headstock, after I done this everything lined up and it fit just fine.

Misc: I did the 50's wiring mod on mine and gave my volume knobs independent control of each other. If I have the selector in the middle I can turn the volume to 0 on one pickup and still have output from the other, I like running one pickup's volume real low to give a subtle tone change to the other and with stock wiring it would become muddy/loose sounding. Both of these are totally reversible and don't require any extra parts, just have to swap a few wires around. I also put chrome position indicators on my knobs. If you can't tell I like using the controls on guitars . I've also toyed with the idea of moving the pickup selector to another hole, closer to my picking hand, and moving the controls accordingly. I just haven't done it yet.

Here's a list of mods I've done to mine and pictures afterwards..
-Black/white/black pickguard
-Zebra coil SD '59 neck
-Grover 18:1 tuners
-Black/white truss rod cover
-50's wiring
-Independent volume control

Looks good, I especially like the moon inlays, wish mine had them :c
Thank you so much for the very detailed answer, it is very much appreciated

I don't mind paying for the Gibson brand pickup covers, they're about 30$ each, which isn't too bad. I'm willing to spend a lot on this project. Also, sorry for not specifying, but he's a professional and he mentionned completely stripping it down, etc like you'd mentioned, I just didn't think anyone would know

I'm getting a little tired of the finish of my guitar to be honest, and it has a couple of minor dings that could be repaired/filled in with clear coat that I would really appreciate. This guitar is going to be babied to absolute hell when she's finished, it's been sort of a workhorse since I recently played my first gig with it

I'm looking into buying a used Epiphone V or Explorer (looking at either a 7 string V or Korina-looking Explorer off some friends) for my "workhorse" since transporting the Gibson really bothers me.

Thanks a million for the replies and as for the pickguard/truss rod cover, thanks for the info! I'd LOVE to go pearloid, but it'd have to be perfect, as in would have to look factory stock and the same shape for me to consider it, I don't want it looking like some Epiphone conversion project

Cheers mates!
I love the moons haha, they're dubbed the "Islamic" V by collectors due to the lawsuit that was threatened against Gibson for using them. They were made in 2002 and the early part of '03, then they finished off the year with regular dot inlay ebony boards. In '04 they started using rosewood and it's been that way since.

$30 for dollar's worth of chromed sheet metal is ridiculous to me . My V is a long way's from being perfect, it's got plenty of dings/swirls/scratches/you name it from being a workhorse for a few years. Cosmetically I'd say it's a 7/10, it just gives it character though .

Those 7 string Epi V's are pretty rare btw. I ordered my pickguard from WD music and it was an exact fit. The original white guard is the exact shape and size of the replacement black one that I put on it. If you're looking for exactness on the truss rod cover you'll be shit outta luck though, look reallll close at it and you'll notice the holes aren't symmetrical. My replacement sits a few mm closer to one side than the other because of that, but it doesn't bother me and you'd only notice it if you were up close and personal to the headstock specifically looking for it.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Have you considered duncans? Imagine a pair of pearly gates, or a PG in the neck and a Duncan Distortion in the bridge? Also if you are refinishing anyway and you are willing to put cash into the project: what about a floyd? Not sure whether the neck angle would work but you could leave it "Dive-only" and not recess it!
Quote by Flux'D
I love the moons haha, they're dubbed the "Islamic" V by collectors due to the lawsuit that was threatened against Gibson for using them. They were made in 2002 and the early part of '03, then they finished off the year with regular dot inlay ebony boards. In '04 they started using rosewood and it's been that way since.

$30 for dollar's worth of chromed sheet metal is ridiculous to me . My V is a long way's from being perfect, it's got plenty of dings/swirls/scratches/you name it from being a workhorse for a few years. Cosmetically I'd say it's a 7/10, it just gives it character though .

Those 7 string Epi V's are pretty rare btw. I ordered my pickguard from WD music and it was an exact fit. The original white guard is the exact shape and size of the replacement black one that I put on it. If you're looking for exactness on the truss rod cover you'll be shit outta luck though, look reallll close at it and you'll notice the holes aren't symmetrical. My replacement sits a few mm closer to one side than the other because of that, but it doesn't bother me and you'd only notice it if you were up close and personal to the headstock specifically looking for it.

Thanks so much for the info, I've decided to keep the pickguard and truss rod covers white. I'm sort of thinking of completely sanding off the red stain, there's a link below to a thread of a Faded V (like mine, color and all), sanded and refinished to a "natural" finish, and I've gotta say, I absolutely love it!

Quote by zubin.isaac
Have you considered duncans? Imagine a pair of pearly gates, or a PG in the neck and a Duncan Distortion in the bridge? Also if you are refinishing anyway and you are willing to put cash into the project: what about a floyd? Not sure whether the neck angle would work but you could leave it "Dive-only" and not recess it!

I'm actually in love with the 500T bridge pickup, many people seem to complain that it's too hot and needs replacing, but it's an absolutely gruesome pickup in my opinion and I just love it. Excellent for metal. But I've been thinking of a Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio pickup in the neck to replace the 496R. Also, about the floyd, I LOVE the idea of a floyd rose, and I really want a guitar with one and a locking nut, but not on this guitar. I'd love to get a Jackson V with a floyd to lock it in drop C if anything, but on my main guitar, I switch tunings far too often to even consider it. But I've heard that there's an EVH d-Tuna out there, which is an awesome device for floyds to switch from standard to drop d in literally a second.

Thanks for the suggestions, they've been shaping my thoughts and opinions, I'm very glad to have heard about the truss rod cover problems, and I'm very glad I found this thread.
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-gibsons/148988-faded-v-refinished.html

Hard to believe that it was originally my exact guitar! Pretty much what's pictured in that thread, plus grovers, a neck pickup swap, coilsplitting and a possible bone nut are what are planned for this project.

Cheers mates and thanks for the help!
If I get another Islamic V I'll be refinishing this one since the new one will most likely be in better shape. I think this thing screams to be offwhite (slight hint of cream) with the ebony board, but I love the red/black combo too much to touch it

This is the only white V (refinished) that I know of, and it's sexy
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Flux'D
If I get another Islamic V I'll be refinishing this one since the new one will most likely be in better shape. I think this thing screams to be offwhite (slight hint of cream) with the ebony board, but I love the red/black combo too much to touch it

This is the only white V (refinished) that I know of, and it's sexy

I'd KILL for those inlays, and yeah, I'm just worried about yellowing. I'm not a fan of paint finishes on guitars, honestly.
Quote by n1ckn1ce
If you dont like the klusons, im might have use for them...

I sort of want to keep them even though I don't intend on selling the guitar, I'd like to keep the original stuff too. I'm a little strapped for cash right now though, so I MIGHT consider a trade for a new set of grovers.
Flux'D Is the Zebra pickup Black/Cream or Black/White?
You guitar looks cool!
Think I'm gonna do the same to mine...
>4 year old thread...

Disappointing that no progress on TS's project was ever made, I would've loved to it.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 10, 2016,