Page 4 of 147
Quote by MeteoraTortuga
Buckethead !!!

Depends on what style you want to hear. He plays many different genres.

Slow/Mellow-ish stuff: Electric Tears, Colma, possibly Shadows Between the Sky
Heavy: The Cuckoo Clocks of Hell

But most of his albums are a mix of heavier songs and slower ones.
I'd recommend starting with Albino Slug (the one with the extended solo in Forgotten Trail), Population Override, and The Elephant Man's Alarm Clock.
Quote by WhiskeyFace
Frank Zappa please.

Joe's Garage
Hot Rats
Sheik Yerbouti

Then wade around the rest, they're all good to me but these are my favourites.

Quote by neidnarb11890
Hi, I wanna listen to Sergei Prokofiev, what is his best album plz? :3

He doesn't really have albums, as he was more or less someone who wrote for lots of ballet..

..But some his workings you may enjoy are,

The Tale of the Stone Flower
Dance of the Knights (Part of the Romeo and Juliet ballet)
Symphony No. 3 in C minor (Op. 44)
Sarcasms
Quote by macaroni
I want to start listening to your mum, where should I start?
Start here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzhkVo8oxAA
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by guitarxo
because your answer didn't help! Well, the first part of it did but you probably just copied that from due or jambi

That's just a blatant insult.

Check out The First Three Years and Sleep is for the Week. I started with Love Ire & Song but didn't realise exactly how awesome he was until I checked both of those out a few days later (those are probably my favourites). Example of why All of his stuff is good though, so you can't really go wrong.

Poetry of the Deed and England Keep my Bones are both awesome. As a full album, I prefer the latter to Love Ire & song to be completely honest. It's more consistent.

Quote by severed-metal
Sheik Yerbouti

Good album for sure (one of my favourites as well), but probably not something to start with. It focuses more on the whole humourous aspect of Frank, which certainly isn't a bad thing, but something like Apostrophe is probably better to start out on.
Last edited by Thrashtastic15 at Dec 27, 2011,
Quote by Thrashtastic15
That's just a blatant insult.

Check out The First Three Years and Sleep is for the Week. I started with Love Ire & Song but didn't realise exactly how awesome he was until I checked both of those out a few days later (those are probably my favourites). Example of why All of his stuff is good though, so you can't really go wrong.

Poetry of the Deed and England Keep my Bones are both awesome. As a full album, I prefer the latter to Love Ire & song to be completely honest. It's more consistent.

Fair enough I'll go in chronological order then.

I'm listening to Love Ire & Song now. Me gusta :3
cat
Love Ire & Song is definitely the best place to start for Frank Turner. Don't let anybody tell you differently.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Ok, Bright Eyes, Mogwai (I've already got Young Team and enjoy it), The Black Keys, New Order and Fugazi (Repeater didn't really stick with me)

Cheers
Quote by Joshwalad
Ok, Bright Eyes, Mogwai (I've already got Young Team and enjoy it), The Black Keys, New Order and Fugazi (Repeater didn't really stick with me)

Cheers

Black Keys:
Rubber Factory for the older, rougher, more blues-based sound
Attack and Release or El Camino for the newer, slicker sound
Quote by Joshwalad

Cheers
Bright Eyes: I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning and Lifted or The Story Is in the Soil, Keep Your Ear to the Ground
The Black Keys: Magic Potion (but take others word over mine)
Fugazi: What? No Repeater? You might not like Fugazi then. But try their later sound. The Argument and End Hits.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by Joshwalad

Cheers

Hmmm, I'd say Red Medicine for Fugazi. It's a halfway point between the stripped down punk aesthetics of the early stuff & the more daring & expansive approach to the later stuff. Also, it's my favorite. :3
Quote by element4433
Love Ire & Song is definitely the best place to start for Frank Turner. Don't let anybody tell you differently.

I just did. Justify your stupid opinion, you stupid little child.
Bob Dylan?
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I just did. Justify your stupid opinion, you stupid little child.
It's the album that made him big. It's got the hits.

If it's good enough for THE WORLD to get into him, it's good enough for people in this thread.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433
It's the album that made him big. It's got the hits.

If it's good enough for THE WORLD to get into him, it's good enough for people in this thread.

not sure if trolling
Quote by vicarious46
Bob Dylan?

Blonde On Blonde and Highway 61 Revisited.
Blonde On Blonde is a bit more bluesy and Highway 51 a bit more rock. Both amazing albums.

Desire from 76 is another absolutely amazing album. And Blood On The Tracks ain't bad either.

If you want his singer/songwriter stuff then Freewheelin, Times They Are A-Changin' and Another Side Of Bob Dylan.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Dec 27, 2011,
Quote by vicarious46
Bob Dylan?

Highway 61 Revisited got me into Dylan, so I'd say that.

I prefer Blonde on Blonde now, but that took a while to grow (mostly 'cuz it's longer & doesn't rock out as hard), whereas Revisited was an instant connection. "Tombstone Blues" is pretty punk rock, I think.
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Dec 27, 2011,
Quote by Thrashtastic15
not sure if trolling
It's the album that put his name out there, at least in America. It's got all the hits.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

alright thanks guys
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Quote by element4433
It's the album that put his name out there, at least in America. It's got all the hits.

My statement still stands. The peak chart position in the UK was for a song of Poetry of the Deed, not Love Ire & Song. His highest charting album is England Keep my Bones. This is a garbage argument.
Quote by element4433
I don't know if there's a thread for this or not. But even if there is, I'm above the rules and I'll do what I fucking want. You dumb fucking shitheads got that?

How utterly disrespectful.

An apology would be nice.
when it comes to frank turner you should listen to 'sleep is for the week' and 'love ire and song' to start out. doesnt matter which one one you listen to first, just listen to both of them.
Quote by CasualSex
How utterly disrespectful.

An apology would be nice.

inb4 Element pulls a Saudi Arabia and bans casual sex.

Quote by element4433
Bright Eyes: I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning and Lifted or The Story Is in the Soil, Keep Your Ear to the Ground
The Black Keys: Magic Potion (but take others word over mine)
Fugazi: What? No Repeater? You might not like Fugazi then. But try their later sound. The Argument and End Hits.

I really like The Argument, it's excellent. Not sure if it's for anyone though.

I think I kind of like Pavement. What album do I need to hear?
Last edited by frankv at Dec 27, 2011,
Quote by frankv

Slanted and Enchanted

Gaslight Anthem.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by element4433

If no Repeater (wat.) then I'd say End Hits would probably be the easiest.

But Repeater (srsly wat.) is pretty much what Fugazi's all about. Turnover, Repeater, Blueprint, Greed.

That's all Repeater.

Quote by moscaespañol
Gaslight Anthem.

The '59 Sound (specifically the title track) or Sink or Swim.
Quote by frankv
I really like The Argument, it's excellent. Not sure if it's for anyone though.

I really totally absolutely love every Fugazi album, even Steady Diet of Nothing which everyone seems to forget about! ¯\_(ツ_/¯

I could go on all day about that band & how great everything they ever did was.

Regarding Pavement, I'll say Slanted & Enchanted and Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain. Those are my favs.

Quote by frankv
So these are their first two albums. Did they turn to shit afterward or what?

No, Wowee Zowee & Brighten the Corners are both solid, but they lack something, I think. I prefer Brighten the Corners to Wowee Zowee.

Have you guys listened to Mirror Traffic? I really love it.
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Dec 27, 2011,
Quote by frankv
So these are their first two albums. Did they turn to shit afterward or what?

well those two are pretty much classics so their next three albums are not really on par with them but they still are really good. a lot of people like wowee zowee as well. brighten the corners is my least favorite of theirs. terror twilight is underrated imo, really good album.

Quote by neidnarb11890

Have you guys listened to Mirror Traffic? I really love it.

i havent checked it out yet, gotta get on that
Last edited by turncoat60% at Dec 27, 2011,
Quote by burghUK
the cult , best songs?

Each album by The Cult is different.

"Love", "Electric", and "Sonic Temple" are their best (IMO).

"Love" is very psychedelic, "Electric" is more riff based, and "Sonic Temple" has the best production. They're all great, you can't go wrong with any of them.
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
Quote by moscaespañol
The Smiths
The Queen is Dead
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by WhiskeyFace
Tom Waits and Frank Zappa please.

With Tom Waits around 1980 he changed from kinda weird jazzy stuff to a genre that only can be called 'Tom Waits music'. Rain Dogs is the album i got into him with so try that, or Swordfishtrombones.

Zappa, try 'hot rats', or 'zoot allures' or 'apostrophe'

Quote by beadhangingOne
Tangerine Dream: I've heard Rubycon and Phaedra, what else?

Also, this Nick Cave fellow. He keeps popping up in random discussions, I want to see what all the hubbub is about.

For Nick Cave due is correct
Quote by due 07
The Good Son by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds is very good. I was a h8r 'til I heard that album.

The good son is a good starting point, if you like Nick Caves softer piano music then get 'the boatmans call' , if you like his more harsh sounding music get 'henrys dream' or 'from her to eternity'. Although a good album to listen to would be a live album called 'live seeds' which is like a very good best of album of live versions.
Quote by Zoot Allures
With Tom Waits around 1980 he changed from kinda weird jazzy stuff to a genre that only can be called 'Tom Waits music'. Rain Dogs is the album i got into him with so try that, or Swordfishtrombones.

Zappa, try 'hot rats', or 'zoot allures' or 'apostrophe'

Zoot Allures is a bit plain for Zappa (although I love it).

Probably easiest to start out with Closing Time for Waits, no?
Quote by Thrashtastic15

Closing Time is one of his weakest if not the weakest album by Tom Waits and is hardly anything like the music he wrote later on. It's basically two different artists and most songs on that album are quite boring.

The albums I prefer by him are Rain Dogs, Swordfish Trombones and Blood Money.

Rain Dogs is definitely his best imo.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by Thrashtastic15

Eh i dunno, i'm a big Tom Waits fan but i still don't really think Closing Time is that great even today, this may just be how i feel on him but i have heard a lot of people say Rain Dogs is one of his best ones to get into.

I think 'the heart of saturday night' may be a good choice for a newcomer.