Page 5 of 147
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Closing Time is one of his weakest if not the weakest album by Tom Waits and is hardly anything like the music he wrote later on. It's basically two different artists and most songs on that album are quite boring.

The albums I prefer by him are Rain Dogs, Swordfish Trombones and Blood Money.

Rain Dogs is definitely his best imo.

It's the most accessible of all his albums. Helps people ease into his vocal style, which is very off putting.
Quote by vicarious46
Bob Dylan?

Start with his electric trilogy: Bringing it all Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, and Blonde on Blonde. Highway first.

Quote by moscaespañol
Gaslight Anthem.

The '59 Sound is their only elite album imo (the others are still good).

Quote by moscaespañol
The Smiths

The Queen is Dead is one of my all time favorite albums, and it's definitely the only one of theirs I'd call "essential listening." They were mostly a singles band, but The Queen is Dead is incredible all the way through.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
It's the most accessible of all his albums. Helps people ease into his vocal style, which is very off putting.

His voice isn't even anything like it is on his later stuff. Nor is the songwriting.

Quote by due 07
Start with his electric trilogy: Bringing it all Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, and Blonde on Blonde. Highway first.

Save for a few tracks "Bringing It All Back Home" isn't even worth bothering with. It's a mediocre album compared to his 6-7 other albums from the 60's. Severely disappointed with this album.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Dec 27, 2011,
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
His voice isn't even anything like it is on his later stuff. Nor is the songwriting.

I know, his voice doesn't suck total ass. It's just like I find it difficult to enjoy anything by Bob Dylan after his 6th album or so when he starts to become a parody of himself vocal-wise.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I know, his voice doesn't suck total ass. It's just like I find it difficult to enjoy anything by Bob Dylan after his 6th album or so when he starts to become a parody of himself vocal-wise.

We aren't talking about Bob Dylan. Bob Dylan's voice started to suck in the mid 80's. Not in the late 60's. His voice peaked around 66-76.

And if you can't enjoy Bob Dylan's voice on Desire from 76 I really have no clue what you're on about.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Save for a few tracks "Bringing It All Back Home" isn't even worth bothering with. It's a mediocre album compared to his 6-7 other albums from the 60's. Severely disappointed with this album.

Really? The electric tracks aren't his best, but the last half of the LP is phenomenal. I love the album, personally; it might not even be in my top 5 for Dylan, but it was one of my first.
Quote by due 07
Really? The electric tracks aren't his best, but the last half of the LP is phenomenal. I love it the album, personally; it might not even be in my top 5 for Dylan, but it was one of my first.

I enjoy Subterranean Homesick Blues, Maggie's Farm and It's All Over Now, Baby Blue. The other tracks are rather mundane and boring imo.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
I enjoy Subterranean Homesick Blues, Maggie's Farm and It's All Over Now, Baby Blue. The other tracks are rather mundane and boring imo.

"On the Road" is the only track I don't care for. "Love Minus Zero/No Limit," "Gates of Eden," and "Baby Blue" are my faves.
Quote by due 07
"On the Road" is the only track I don't care for. "Love Minus Zero/No Limit," "Gates of Eden," and "Baby Blue" are my faves.

Haven't listened to that album for a long long time however. I do however hate the start of the track where he just starts to laugh and then starts over again. Why not just cut that out?
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
I can ask about The Strokes. What I've heard of The Strokes so far is rather boring. Do they have any creative and original album?

Well, I got into them with their third album, First Impressions of Earth. It's fairly original while still having a somewhat simplistic sound to it, which I think makes it more accessible than their first, second, and third albums.
One of the tracks I like the most: You Only Live Once

But if you truly don't like them then that's that I guess.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
We aren't talking about Bob Dylan. Bob Dylan's voice started to suck in the mid 80's. Not in the late 60's. His voice peaked around 66-76.

And if you can't enjoy Bob Dylan's voice on Desire from 76 I really have no clue what you're on about.

I can't enjoy Bob Dylan's voice at all, being someone who can actually sing. My timeline is probably off, I'm not a huge Dylan fan. At first it was a minor annoyance, and it turned into something completely offputting.

I wouldn't start with Rain Dogs, is all I'm saying. I tried to go that route, and said "sounds like someone lit his vocal chords on fire" and said fuck it. Closing Time is what made me give him a chance.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I can't enjoy Bob Dylan's voice at all, being someone who can actually sing. My timeline is probably off, I'm not a huge Dylan fan. At first it was a minor annoyance, and it turned into something completely offputting.

"being someone who can actually sing".

What does this mean?
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
"being someone who can actually sing".

What does this mean?

Damn, I missed the edit.

What the hell do you think it means dumbass?
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Damn, I missed the edit.

What the hell do you think it means dumbass?

That you claim that you can sing?

I don't even understand why you had to bring that up but if it's important for you to make sure people know you can sing sure.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
That you claim that you can sing and Bob Dylan can't?

I'm proud of you for figuring that out all on your own.

Bob Dylan was a very good songwriter. He was not a very good singer.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I'm proud of you for figuring that out all on your own.

Bob Dylan was a very good songwriter. He was not a very good singer.

Are you talking in absolute and objective terms now?

And why did you mention that you claim you can sing? Who gives a damn?

And last but not least, I find Bob Dylan to be a fantastic singer. Especially 65-76. Enough about that.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Are you talking in absolute and objective terms now?

Why are you so butthurt that Dylan wasn't lucky to be blessed with a great voice?

He did well with what he had. He just didn't have very much. We're clearly not going to agree with each other, so can we leave it at that?
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Why are you so butthurt that Dylan wasn't lucky to be blessed with a great voice?

He did well with what he had. He just didn't have very much. We're clearly not going to agree with each other, so can we leave it at that?

I'm not being butthurt, I'm trying to question your opinion you seem to use as objective fact.

Listen to the song "Sooner or Later (One Of Us Must Know) and tell me in what way he's a terrible singer.
What makes a fantastic singer in your opinion?

And you're the one being rude to me; I'm just asking questions and so far being very polite.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
I'm not being butthurt, I'm trying to question the objective facts you seem to throw around yourself and make it seem like facts.

You're desperately clinging to subjectivity and saying that you find a weak voice to be fantastic to get around the fact that Dylan had a weak voice.

Guess what? I don't care about your opinion.
Quote by Zoot Allures

Zappa, try 'zoot allures'

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by Thrashtastic15
You're desperately clinging to subjectivity and saying that you find a weak voice to be fantastic to get around the fact that Dylan had a weak voice.

Guess what? I don't care about your opinion.

You can obviously not argue for your opinion unless you can just state a fact as a fact and leave it at that.

And your opinion was never of interest to me as I realised quite early you have not even figured out your own opinion on the subject and just use old washed out terms and facts others have thrown out before you with no ground whatsoever.

And that first sentence makes no sense at all as I don't find it to be a weak voice. And to argue in objective terms in music is rather lame.
Quote by element4433
I don't know if there's a thread for this or not. But even if there is, I'm above the rules and I'll do what I fucking want. You dumb fucking shitheads got that?

Jeez, let's start this again.

You know how there's bands that everybody knows and you want to check out, but when you go to Wikipedia to see their discography it's 400 albums long? Well, this is a thread where you ask your fellow Pitters where to start.

For example,

Kid A

everybody's questions have been answered
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
You can obviously not argue for your opinion unless you can just state a fact as a fact and leave it at that.

And your opinion was never of interest to me as I realised quite early you have not even figured out your own opinion on the subject and just use old washed out terms and facts others have thrown out before you with no ground whatsoever.

You're confusing me not being able to argue an opinion with me not wanting to bother arguing an opinion on something I don't care about with someone I don't care about. This isn't the point of this thread and you've kicked up enough of a fuss to derail it already.
Oooh good thread.

Someone do New Order for me.

The 12" single version of "Temptation" is one of my very favorite songs and yet I basically know nothing else about them... Aside from "Blue Monday."
Quote by Thrashtastic15
You're confusing me not being able to argue an opinion with me not wanting to bother arguing an opinion on something I don't care about with someone I don't care about. This isn't the point of this thread and you've kicked up enough of a fuss to derail it.

Makes no difference, if you had no interest in the subject then why even state your opinion that you don't care enough about to inform you about and instead just spout shit you don't have enough interest to confirm is true or not.

I have absolutely no problem with people disliking Bob Dylan for stuff aslong as it's contructive and just "he can't sing": yes he can sing. If you however like his voice or not is a lot more important and a valid excuse for not liking him. I myself can't stand his post 70's music and don't even bother with it.

It's like me starting to argue about random subject and then claim "i really have no interest nor clue in the subject" after a while.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Makes no difference, if you had no interest in the subject then why even state your opinion that you don't care enough about to inform you about and instead just spout shit you don't have enough interest to confirm is true or not.

I was using my opinion on him to try and make a point on something else, which you half-assedly agreed with and then edited out so you could focus on kicking up a pointless bitchfest to derail a thread. I'm not going to argue this for the reasons stated, and because I've already fucked up a thread Element liked in the same way and don't want to do it again.

Quote by JohnnyGenzale
I have absolutely no problem with people disliking Bob Dylan for stuff aslong as it's contructive and just "he can't sing": yes he can sing. If you however like his voice or not is a lot more important and a valid excuse for not liking him. I myself can't stand his post 70's music and don't even bother with it.

The limits of his vocal style relative to singers I enjoy starts to overshadow his songwriting ability at a certain point in his discography in my opinion.

You seriously kicked up a massive bitchfest because you didn't like my terminology? Shove a dick up your ass you whiny waste of space.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I was using my opinion on him to try and make a point on something else, which you half-assedly agreed with and then edited out so you could focus on kicking up a pointless bitchfest to derail a thread. I'm not going to argue this for the reasons stated, and because I've already fucked up a thread Element liked in the same way and don't want to do it again.

The limits of his vocal style relative to singers I enjoy starts to overshadow his songwriting ability at a certain point in his discography in my opinion.

You seriously kicked up a massive bitchfest because you didn't like my terminology? Shove a dick up your ass you whiny waste of space.

Why didn't you say that you dislike his voice as in his range and the way he's singing instead of stating "bla bla bla he can't sing" as you yourself who claim can sing should be aware that such a statement is a fallacy. And if that's just a minor detail on terminology, I'm sorry.

And you make it sound like you've been made out to such a victim here it's pathetic.

And I was unaware it was possible to kick up a "bitchfest" unless someone else played along and you obviously did that just nicely. Only difference is that you had to be rude about it and fail to make your arguments/opinions speak for yourself. If you had any that is.

I could say "bleeerghh Dimebag can't play guitar!" all I want, and then if someone bitches at me I can call it a massive bitchfest as people should obviously understand that I meant his phrasing or something like that. (Dimebag can't play guitar as he's dead now anyway.)

And I still find it rather odd and hilarious to use statements such as Dylan's got a terrible voice as something that can't be questioned. And if it's questioned you're either butthurt, clinging onto subjectivity or something else (you make up something funny here).

But I'm not here to be annoying as that was not my intention and I do apology if you thought that or if I managed to be just that.

Back to topic.
Quote by Zoot Allures
If bob dylan can sing then who can't sing?

Nick Cave. Obviously.

People who are horrible at singing I would assume, neither Dylan nor Cave are.

Those who are sent home early in Idol I would assume are horrible and can't sing whatsoever.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Nick Cave. Obviously.

People who are horrible at singing I would assume, neither Dylan nor Cave are.

Those who are sent home early in Idol I would assume are horrible and can't sing whatsoever.

I would never try to defend Nick Cave as a technically good singer, he's pitchy as hell. I just like how his voice sounds and don't care about the untunedness of it.
Quote by due 07
Kraftwerk, Beach House, The Kinks pls.

Kraftwerk - Autobahn and Man Machine (but the german titled one) and Trans Europe Express.

Quote by Zoot Allures
I would never try to defend Nick Cave as a technically good singer, he's pitchy as hell. I just like how his voice sounds and don't care about the untunedness of it.

I don't give a rats ass about technicality when it comes to music as that does not guarantee I like it. I'm sure Bob Dylan isn't the best in terms of technique. But to care about that is to limit yourself when it comes to taste in music.

If I enjoy hearing it, it's good enough and the singer is good enough for me and obviously not a bad singer.

I find Cave, Dylan and Waits to be terrific singers. But that's because I don't care about their technique around it. I hear what I hear and I love it. Therefore they are good singers. Any other definition of a good singer is just pointless to me.

One of my favourite bands at the moment are two 16 year old swedish acid boys who make music containing of 1 guitar and some random percussion. It's not hard whatsoever. I still like it. And I'm not even sure they can sing according to some definitions in this thread. But why would I care about that?
This is so pointless. Everybody knows Bob Dylan is a bad singer. But that doesn't stop him from being lauded as one of the best singer/song writers of all time.

NOW,

Somebody do New Order!
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by due 07
Kraftwerk, Beach House, The Kinks pls.
Beach House: Anything is fine. But maybe go Teen Dream.
The Kinks: The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Ultimate-Guitar forums should be renamed "Contribution to the Decline of the Collective IQ of the Human Race Forum". But I guess that's what "ultimate-guitar" means in Russian.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Firenze
Ultimate-Guitar forums should be renamed "Contribution to the Decline of the Collective IQ of the Human Race Forum". But I guess that's what "ultimate-guitar" means in Russian.

Hey, you, you're kind of a dick.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low