Hi, I´m getting a bit deeper into the scale-pentatonic theory and I´ve got 2 questions
1 - If you play a simple chord, let´s say an Amaj what scale mode would you play over that? I´m clear that you´d play Amaj pentatonic or even Amin pentatonic but what mode? A Mixolydian,Ionian? Or would you play A Ionian, B Dorian , Csharp Phrygian, D Lydian, E Mixolydian cause that´s how the scale degree goes?
2 - If you play a chord progression in a key, let´s say C,F,G (1,4,5 chords) in the key of Cmaj .. again, use the Cmaj pentatonic (or the minor maybe sometimes) and the modes as the degrees go? C Ionian, D Dorian, E Phrygian, F Lydian, G Mixolydian .. ?

Thanks for help, please could you answer my questions? Thanks
I'm not going to dig deeper, but my best advice is that you leave modes alone for a while. Modal theory is not needed too much and you cannot apply modal theory just as you apply tonal theory. They are both different animals; while a tonal progression may contain accidentals and many different degrees of the scale, a modal progression may just contain a vamp chord (or a single note), and adding accidentals will make it lose it's true color. My two cents.
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Last edited by Svennz at Dec 27, 2011,
1. you can use any scale/ mode that contains A,C#and E (i.e. most often A major, but you have other options) A minor pentatonic (if you're at all worried about modes DO NOT THINK IN PENTATONICS) doesn't work, the 3rds clash

2.you use C major/A minor and any subsequent modes

3. learn what major and minor are a forget about pentatonic, after you have a solid hand on major and minor work on the modes, as for which mode to use over a single chord, just use one that contains the same notes as the chord unless you are adhering to one particular scale/mode
So should I just carry on practicing the major/minor pentatonic in every key? with the additional blues notes and so on?
Just get the hang of it until you are able to understand this lesson from ZeG, it will clear any doubt you have about modes, I was going to explain it to you but there's no need for me to say anything after I found this:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_iv_3_chords_-_modal_chord_progressions.html

Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Quote by winprog15
So should I just carry on practicing the major/minor pentatonic in every key? with the additional blues notes and so on?

it depends on what exactly you know, pentatonic and blues scales are a good starting point for a guitarist, but if you want to understand chord creation and soloing over chords you need full major/minor scales as soon as you feel comfortable with blues and pentatonic move on to major/minor and chord construction, once you understand chord construction go onto modes and it will all make sense
Quote by Bad Kharmel
1. you can use any scale/ mode that contains A,C#and E

No, by this logic you could play F# minor, D major, B minor, E major, C# minor and so forth over a static A major chord, which you can't. The scale you use is dictated by the tonal center; if you're playing over a "simple Amaj" chord, you're using A major, not any of these other scales.

Quote by Bad Kharmel
2.you use C major/A minor and any subsequent modes

The progression very clearly resolve to C (being a I-IV-V), so again, you would play C major. Not A minor.

TS, don't think that all these scales are the same; C major and A minor for example have the same notes, but are very different.
Quote by winprog15
Hi, I´m getting a bit deeper into the scale-pentatonic theory and I´ve got 2 questions
1 - If you play a simple chord, let´s say an Amaj what scale mode would you play over that? I´m clear that you´d play Amaj pentatonic or even Amin pentatonic but what mode? A Mixolydian,Ionian? Or would you play A Ionian, B Dorian , Csharp Phrygian, D Lydian, E Mixolydian cause that´s how the scale degree goes?
2 - If you play a chord progression in a key, let´s say C,F,G (1,4,5 chords) in the key of Cmaj .. again, use the Cmaj pentatonic (or the minor maybe sometimes) and the modes as the degrees go? C Ionian, D Dorian, E Phrygian, F Lydian, G Mixolydian .. ?

Thanks for help, please could you answer my questions? Thanks

I would avoid modes until you have the foundation to support their understanding.

1. If you play an A Major chord, and then play any of the scales that you are asking about, all of them, regardless of what you call it, or what you started on, are functioning only as A Major. Make sure you understand that you aren't doing a single thing differently no matter what you call that scale...that is critical to not becoming further lost.

B Dorian - A major
C# Phrygian - A major

etc.

Now, I know you may feel very flustered at this and say "I don't understand..." If you do this, I want to draw your attention to the comment I made above -

I would avoid modes until you have the foundation to support their understanding.

The Function of those scales over A? They are ALL functioning as A Major, there's nothing modal about it.

The Answer to the question of number 2 - all of those scales are simply different ways of playing C Major and their ONLY function is as a C Major scale.

If you need help at establishing and building a foundation, we have an online school whose focus is music theory applied to the guitar, specifically for guitar players who want to better understand what they are doing. If we can help out, feel free to IM me and I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Additionally, there are other resources. I highly recommend Mike Dodge's theory and guitar website. He has invested heavily into teaching others, and unlike our school, his site and the content is all free.

Best,

Sean