Hey im looking to get a new fuzz pedal and i cant decide between these 2, MXR 108 fuzz and Boss FZ5 Fuzz. I'll be using it on a distorted channel, i know the MXR works well on a distorted channel but not tried the boss one yet. Which one do you think would be best? or do you have any other ideas?
Thanks in advance
JAMIE IS HERE!!!!!!
haventl played either but i'd say go with the mxr. i love mxr and have yet to find one that i don't like. that, and boss makes truly shitty distortion pedals so i really don't trust much of anything that they make
^^ wtf ^^ Thought there was a rule about posting about stuff you have no experience with. And saying boss makes crap is just crazy!

TS - Im assuming your going for a 70's type tone? Have you tried out a fuzz face? Also, the boss is a pretty steller pedal for that added little bit of grit.

Which amp do you have cause these things all act different on different amps.
Quote by surjer
^^ wtf ^^ Thought there was a rule about posting about stuff you have no experience with. And saying boss makes crap is just crazy!

TS - Im assuming your going for a 70's type tone? Have you tried out a fuzz face? Also, the boss is a pretty steller pedal for that added little bit of grit.

yeah something like that for tone and no i've not tried one of them, i've only got a crate amp, but im saving up for a new one at the mo
cheers
JAMIE IS HERE!!!!!!
the Boss pedal uses modeling to get it's fuzz fx so keep that in mind. you might want to consider a EH Big Muff if you want something with more of a distortion edge to it (think dave gilmour). the MXR is a decent fuzz that is similar to a fuzzface (think jimi hendrix but don't forget the wah). personally i like the MXR one better as it is closer to the Fuzz Face (which is what i use).
I think the mxr would be fine for what you want because the fuzz on it, if I remember correctly, isn't too heavy/overpowering so it'd go well with some distortion/od
I can only put in a good word about the EH Big Muff, I picked one up last week after picking it over the Boss FZ-5. Although the Boss has 3 modes, I felt that the Big Muff could do all of those modes and more. IMO, its the best bang for your buck fuzz pedal.
EH Little Big Muff. Best Fuzz for the price IMO. The new smaller chassis uses a standard 9v supply as well. I think the bigger one used an different psu. I could be wrong on that.
i probably wouldn't go with either to be honest- mxr stuff is DEAR for what it is in the uk if you ask me, and the boss isn't even a proper fuzz as far as i'm aware, it's a modeller.

considering how simple most fuzzes are you could probably get a boutique clone of a vintage fuzz from a uk builder from the likes of big knob or made by mike (though i should stress that i haven't tried either, they might be terrible! ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by surjer

its kind of a common sense thing. boss uses digital and modeling for all of their pedals. which means that all they r trying to do is imitate another sound or tone. mxr is all analogue and r only going after their own, unique tone.
a lot of boss pedals are actually analogue- their ods and dists are. but this fuzz isn't.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?