I recently got a Fenders Blues Jr tube amp and it's great but i can't figure this out.

When i use my pedal it gets some awesome distortion. Nothing too heavy but good enough for a rock sound. However, sometimes when i increase the volume the distortion starts breaking up. I mess with the tone knobs on my amp and pedal and sometimes i'll get it and sometimes not.

So question is what do i need to know to set it up so I get good distortion all the time?

Gear:
Standard Strat SSS
Boss Blues Driver pedal
Fender Blues Jr. amp
Okay man. There are quite a few obstacles when you are setting up your amplifier for distortion that isn't built into it. So I'll give you the best advice I can and I'll give you as much knowledge on the subject too so that this won't be a problem again.

The first thing you need to realize is that the distortion coming from virtually every distortion pedal is a digital signal. Only a few actually use real "overdrive" units built into them. Transistor amps similarly don't have "overdrive" units, but actually have a digital signal producing the overdrive, which is why they don't have that 'warmth' that tube/valve/etc Amps do. The problem is that when you put the digital distortion through a Tube/Valve Amp channel already using distortion, the two will interfere rather than working together most of the time. Make sure that you use your pedal through a clean channel to stop this from becoming a problem.

Next, pay close attention to the amount of gain being added by the amp, even on the clean channel. This will distort the signal the higher the amount of gain being added by the amp. You should keep it low enough to not distort the signal, but put a small amount in to make sure the signal is powerful enough.

On tube amps, increasing the volume actually increases the distortion in the signal naturally because of the increased current flowing through the amp, so if there is a problem when the amp is turned up, slowly lower the gain dials to see if that solves the problem. After this if there is still a problem, reset the gain dials to what they were before, and then slowly lower the dials while changing the tone dial settings. The gain dial will have the most drastic effect though.

I hope that this has helped you. If you need any more help just let me know. I'm Leokisomma here on UG.
Nope, most distortion pedals are analogue, not digital - the Blues Driver is analogue.

TS, your amp will break up nicely at higher volumes and give you some crunch - a good way to use the pedal is to augment the amps distortion, you do that by setting the pedal volume high but turning the gain down a bit. Contrary to what Leo says they won't "interfere" at all, in fact they'll stack really nicely. In fact even a digital distortion pedal would work in that way with a tube amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I've had some serious problems with distortion interference in the past. I honestly though that most pedals were digital as transistor amps are all digital as well. I have two tube amps and while the digital distortion does work well through a clean channel like I said, it still interferes sometimes when I use the tube amp distortion in addition.

The most valuable resource is personal experience. Try out every way possible before you rule out anything. Pedals are designed with amps in mind so most will work with most amps if you set them right.
Quote by LeoKisomma
I've had some serious problems with distortion interference in the past. I honestly though that most pedals were digital as transistor amps are all digital as well. I have two tube amps and while the digital distortion does work well through a clean channel like I said, it still interferes sometimes when I use the tube amp distortion in addition.

The most valuable resource is personal experience. Try out every way possible before you rule out anything. Pedals are designed with amps in mind so most will work with most amps if you set them right.

wut
Quote by LeoKisomma

not all transistor amps are digital, lots are analogue.

I agree with you on tranny amps, it impossible to use a distortion pedal on the dirty channel of my old Peavey Bandit, even with the gain low all you got was uncontrollable noise. Never had a problem using a pedal on a tube amp though, provided you don't go silly with the gain levels.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com