sometimes some strings slightly vibrate without being touched it makes this anoying background noise and makes the notes sound dirty.
the only way of stopping this is turing down the gain but it's low already
could this be the pickups?
or am i just doing something wrong?
i'm a beginner so i don't know much about how things work yet.
Are you using singlecoils? Could be that, humbuckers have a lot less extra noise than singlecoils.
Also, are you very close to the amp, facing the amp? That could create feedback.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by DarkWaysLight
sometimes some strings slightly vibrate without being touched it makes this anoying background noise and makes the notes sound dirty.
the only way of stopping this is turing down the gain but it's low already
could this be the pickups?
or am i just doing something wrong?
i'm a beginner so i don't know much about how things work yet.

Mute them with your your left and/or right hand.

When playing with distortion. All strings not being played must be muted at ALL times.
sounds like your strings are just resonating, which is normal. You have to mute them with your hand. In the best case scenario, you should mute all strings higher than played one(s) w/ you fretting hand (usually w/ index finger) and all the strings lower than played one(s) w/ your picking hand (palm). There's lots of guides on youtube on this topic.
Both LordPino and mrbabo91 are absolutely right. Pay atention to where you are standing and how it produces feedback. As far as muting strings, and everybody says this on here, but it takes practice. Eventually it becomes second nature and you'll do it without thinking. Being aware of the problem is the first step.