I JUST BOUGHT A SECOND-HANDED GUITAR… [PART 2]
MODEL: Fender 57’ Reissue Stratocaster Made In Japan Since 1993
SERIAL#: P022452 (what does that say/mean..? help pls? XD)
NOTE: I’m only an intermediate player, so please forgive me for any dumb questions asked...

FIRST OF ALL, with all the appreciation, a big shout out to all the people who gave a respond to my previous post. THANK YOU VERY MUCH GUYS !!! They were all very helpful I must say =D

SECONDLY, if you guys remember, the picture I posted in the previous thread was only a far-out view of my model as a whole, and it was pretty blurry. Also, although gladly there are already people saying that the Strat looks legit, but still, as they mentioned, some close-up shots would be best. Besides, there’s always a chance of getting a fake, especially in a world where people tend to do things for their own benefit without considering how others may feel, it’s not fun at all, so I thought it would be best to get a confirmed solid answer. Anyways, too much talking, LOL, let’s get to the point- Here’s a clear close-up view of my model:

LAST BUT NOT LEAST, unfortunately there are a few questions that haven’t been answered from my last post, so please excuse me for bringing them up again in this thread, hoping they will be solved eventually XD And also, I got a few more questions that came up to my mind, so here they are…

1) SINCE it’s a second-handed guitar, and as shown in the pictures from above, a lot of the metal silver parts like "the bridge, pickups, tuning pegs, etc" have been rusted pretty badly, so are there any solutions that could clear out those rust? Especially my bridge.. that's quite a lot of rust right there.. I wonder is it possible to make them all clean and shiny again? XD A vintage looking neck is good, but the vintage rusted metal parts.. uh.. not so good. lol. So what would be a “good & safe” way to clear out the rust? And by doing that would it affect the sound quality of the guitar in a bad way? I know re-painting the neck will, and I won’t do that, but how about cleaning out the rusted metal parts? I hope there’s a “cheap & easy” way for this other than taking out those rusted parts and changing into a new one… if replacing is the only solution.. around how much would a bridge cost..? I'm kinda on a limited budget.. Man if I could get those rusted parts cleaned, this guitar would be perfect to me. XD

2) AS I bought this model, the seller told me “Everything is original, nothing has been changed.” In this case, what would be the pick-ups on my model? Are the original ones any good? Or would you guys suggest me to later change the pick-ups to perhaps a USA made one or others like a friend of mine did? Or are there other changes you guys would suggest me to make to the guitar? and around how much would they cost? So far the only change I’m making is taking out the old strings and put in new ones.

3) I GOT this model for exactly 22500 Baht in Thailand. Reasonable for my region eh? However, just out of curiosity, how much would this model cost if it's brand new? Also, a "standard Strat" or a "57'reissue Strat" is more expensive?

4) THIS model I have, a 57’reissue Strat, does it have a smaller neck (less radius) comparing to others like the standard Strat? It would be great if this is true, because personally I have smaller hands, so I prefer smaller neck. And is there in any other way the “standard Strat” and a “57’reissue Strat” differ from each other? They look the same to me, lol, other than a little more vintage neck with the reissue one.

5) WHAT neck profile/shape does my model have? what neck profile do you guys prefer from your opinion? and what's my model's radius? I couldn’t tell, LOL. Or If anyone could find an info list base on my model, which I can’t find.. that would be awesome!!!

All Replies Will Be Highly Appreciated.THANK YOU. =D
Last edited by Jimmy25 at Dec 27, 2011,
with the metal bits, my theory is always, when in doubt use WD40 :P May not be the best idea, but hey, smells good
So basically what you are saying is you bought a guitar you knew absolutely nothing about, is in a pretty bad way by the look of things, may not even be real and may have cost you twice whats its really worth for all you know. Right..............
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Not sure the conversion rate of the baht. Does it seem pretty legit? Do you like it? That's the value.
i have a reissued strat from late circa 80s era. also from japan, perhaps i can answer some of your questions.

legit-ability wise, i haven't heard too much of fake strats, at least not the japanese reissued models. unlike Gibson, strats, especially J strats, are not that expensive, so it would really be a waste of time for bootleggers to make cheap copies of what is already a cheap strat.

pickup wise. if they haven't change anything from the period when mine was made to the era they made urs. then you should have texas special. which is on bar with american reissued imo.

another way of determing legitimacy would be buying from a reputable seller. i got mine imported from a well know guitar shop in Kyoto. a friend of mine has brought burny les paul from them before and they were a real A+ service.

i would honestly not change a thing on that since it's such a great guitar already. the rust just adds history and personality to it.

neck profile wise, if i remember correctly, the jap reissued has C profile which is slimmer than the D profile on it's american counterpart. i might have to double check since i have been out of the guitar scene for quite awhile. in fact i believe this is the first post i made in like half a year.

from the pics yours look exactly like mine (minus the serial number) so i wouldn't worry about legitimacy since yours looks pretty real, or that these bootleggers are getting really good? but i doubt it's the 2nd one since making cheap copies of what is already a cheap discontinued model would make absolutely no sense financially. if any fakes would be made they would be targeting american strats which looks the same but with a $1000 + price tag.

as for price i brought mine for roughly 700-800usd, plus some bs fees from the custom office, and international shipping.
Quote by kckyle

legit-ability wise, i haven't heard too much of fake strats, at least not the japanese reissued models.

You need to get out more.

It's legit. Looks quite a lot like my Jap strat. Brand new that guitar was probably $800ish bucks. That's in 1993 dollars, mind you.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
a little WD -40 and fine steel wool wil help with the parts however you'd have to take the guitar apart to really do it any justice. keep that ways from the wood and finsh.

the pickups are standard japanese made ones and not known for being all that great (the one downside to japanese made strats). most likely patterned after 50s style low output pups.

not an expert but it looks legit to me. check with some of the fender strat sites for folks that are experts. and yes some j strats are bootleged at this point especially the early squier series whcih have become desireable collectors items.

if it's an exact copy of a 57 then it will have a V shaped neck and a 7.25" radius. if the fingerboard appears kinda rounded then this would be the case. many fender reissues use the newer 9.5" radius even though that wasn't spec back in the day.
In answer to Question 1 = You're not supposed to clean the 'rust' up - if you want it shiny, you shouldn't have bought a re-issue. That rusting is part of the relic process -oxidising added during construction to give a guitar made in 1993 the appearance of a guitar made in 1957, much like this one:

http://www.mrglyn.blogspot.com/ (scroll down to Friday 12th of August 2011 for the fender example)
I looked up the serial number of this guitar, it seems to be legit, this is what it brought back:
Your guitar was made at the
Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan
in the Year(s): 1993 - 1994
Quote by DrunkenMonkeyNZ
In answer to Question 1 = You're not supposed to clean the 'rust' up - if you want it shiny, you shouldn't have bought a re-issue. That rusting is part of the relic process -oxidising added during construction to give a guitar made in 1993 the appearance of a guitar made in 1957, much like this one:

http://www.mrglyn.blogspot.com/ (scroll down to Friday 12th of August 2011 for the fender example)

umm.. the guitar wasn't made as a relic it's real rust. his guitar got it the old fashioned way, from someone actually playing it with sweaty hands.