So in my 15 years of experience playing and going through lots of gear, I've found that in general you get what you pay for. Most of the time the higher price stuff is better quality with better sound. Every once in a while a start up company will offer great stuff and a cheap price to lure you away from the big companies, until they are more established and raise their prices. And then, every now and then the bigger companys release a cheaper pedal that despite the price point turns out to be amazing.

Most of the pedals on my board are very good pedals and are between the $100-$200 range. But I have two pedals that are less than $70 and are amazing in quality and tone. The first one is the Ibanez PH-7 tone lok phaser. The tone lok series are decent starter pedals, but I am a tone junkie and was never very fond of the tone of any of the pedals until I got my hands on the PH-7. After playing the MXR phase 90, Hardwire Stereo Phaser, Boss Phase Shifter and more, I fell in love with the PH-7. It might not be for everyone because it doesn't have the wacky settings that some phasers have, but it has a wonderful, subtle but warm tone that just beats out any of the other phasers I tried.

The second pedal is the Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo. Same as the Ibanez tone lok pedals, I have never been overly impressed with the Danelectro pedals but this thing is amazing. I sold a lovepedal tremolo to get this. The Danelectro not only sounds better but is also more versatile and is less than half of the price. The housing is metal and very sturdy. It is true bybass and the tone is just wonderful.

So what are your diamonds in the rough?
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
IMO the Ibanez Ts-7 is a diamond in the rough . Its ugly but the sound is very good and they sell for 35-40 $ everywhere . Theres the tubescreamer mode which sound imo the same as the more expensive tubescreamer ( same chip inside ) and theres another mode for extra gain that sound like a high gain marshallesque distortion ( the sound catch green day dookie sound ) . Sound very good for the price . was very pleased when i had one .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
I'd have to say the most suprizingly cheap/awesome pedal i have got happened just recently with the purchase of my MXR Noise Clamp. Lots of talk going on right now about the ISP Decimator and i stacked em all up at guitar center and jammed on em all on my amp for a couple hours. (Yeah, they let you do that)!

Not gonna go into a full review but the noise clamp was only 69.99 compared to well over a hundred for the other pedals i tried. Boss-NS-2, Smart Gate, ISP Decimator etc. The noise clamp did the trick and i am now in LOVE with this pedal!
I've heard good things about the noise clamp. My distortion pedal I am using now has a built in noise gate that works really well, so I am just using my isp to completly cut out an little hum I get from running all my pedals and stuff, which I think any noise suppressor would do the trick for that. Glad that pedal is working out for you though. MXR is another company I've had mixed feelings about. The thing they have going for them is all of their pedals are built like tanks.
GEAR
Vox SDC 33
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Deltalab makes some nice pedals that have found their way to my board. so far they have lasted and worked fine. metal housing and strong footswitch. the phaser was as good or better (for me) than many of the more expensive options. i also like their delay pedal though many might find it limiting. i use mine to fatten up and give some depth to my lead sound. even though it is digital it has a very warm analogish sound. only 325 ms though so those wishing long delays will be disappointed. i also have their overdrive pedal which is good for blues and mild distortion sounds. it doesn't have as much output as your typical TS clone. the metal distortion pedal works well with my alder guitars but doesn't get much use.
joyo
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i agree with the DD1, i love mine. i also like rocktron, they make pretty good pedals for not too much cash
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Digitech bad monkey has a cult following. i had one, paid $25, sold it for the same. i really didn't like it at all. they are really popular around the Vk-ers.

its nice to have more than just one tone conrol, bit IMO having one for bass and treble. nothing to shape the mids with.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Digitech bad monkey has a cult following. i had one, paid $25, sold it for the same. i really didn't like it at all. they are really popular around the Vk-ers.

its nice to have more than just one tone conrol, bit IMO having one for bass and treble. nothing to shape the mids with.

Bad Monkey also has a bass cult following--most of the circuitry is surface mount, but if you change a few caps (Which are through-mount or whatever you'd call it), it turns into a gloriously dark OD. I think I payed $25 as well and I really like it.

If we can count DIY, I'd say most of generalguitargadgets kits meet the criteria. They're really top notch and a decent chunk cheaper than other kits.

As IronMaiden76 says, Rocktron has some really good stuff--the usual "street" price isn't phenomenally low on their gear, but it seems like you can always shop around and find them for even cheaper than the usual 30ish% off of msrp.

I had one tone lok pedal and though I loved the way it sounded, it has terrible construction, the danelectro pedals are hit and miss. I got a wasabi od for $40 that I loved, but the regular price for that series was about double that I think and at that price point you could find a lot of compareable pedals.
I just purchased an Ibanez DDL for $70, just hit BiN so as to not fight forit.

From what I hear, it is diamond in rough.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Fender Starcaster Chorus. It's like $18-25 online (discontinued now) and one of the better and more versatile under $100 chorus pedals out there.
Quote by Helicopters!
Fender Starcaster Chorus. It's like $18-25 online (discontinued now) and one of the better and more versatile under $100 chorus pedals out there.

Just had a quick Google for it. People on forums were getting them new for under $10. Looks like they never made it to the UK though.

I have a Behringer PH9 and it's pretty awesome. Not bad for less than £25. It has a nice robust case you don't see on other Behringers pedals and it's nice and simple.
Last edited by CrazyPigeon at Dec 28, 2011,
Quote by Helicopters!

Is it really well-revered for the price range? I got one when bestbuy was clearing them out for $7 and I can't say it does much for me at all. Granted, I'm less experienced with chorus than most effects so my taste may not bee too good, but that one has sat on my shelf since I bought it.

edit* and +1 to the behringer phaser. It's a good pedal and a bit tougher than the typical behringer stuff.
Quote by Dave_Mc
joyo

aka biyang, and GFS. I find these highly hit and miss.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by RealGuitarHero

+ 1
Quote by Tyler Bro
Gauges or Diamond studs? I am getting one, which one?

Quote by Xiaoxi
Get a dildo. Says the same thing.
Quote by RealGuitarHero

Joyo isn't related to Biyang or GFS.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by guitarguychris1

The second pedal is the Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo. Same as the Ibanez tone lok pedals, I have never been overly impressed with the Danelectro pedals but this thing is amazing. I sold a lovepedal tremolo to get this. The Danelectro not only sounds better but is also more versatile and is less than half of the price. The housing is metal and very sturdy. It is true bybass and the tone is just wonderful.

So what are your diamonds in the rough?

I too discovered the joy of this tremolo pedal, it really nails that choppy old vintage trem sound with the right settings. I'm happy to have it sat on my board next to my more 'boutique' pedals.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Quote by jukejointjohnny
I too discovered the joy of this tremolo pedal, it really nails that choppy old vintage trem sound with the right settings. I'm happy to have it sat on my board next to my more 'boutique' pedals.

Exactly, while I like to have quality stuff, I am not a brand snob, I have no problem with this sitting right next to my higher end pedals. If it sounds good it sounds good.
GEAR
Vox SDC 33
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Quote by Ippon
without the goop?

yeah apparently nutella costs $100 a jar

Quote by mmolteratx
Joyo isn't related to Biyang or GFS.

+1

the ****?

I'd agree wholeheartedly that you shouldn't touch biyang. I've been burned by them myself. but joyo is a completely (far as i'm aware) different company.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah apparently nutella costs $100 a jar

+1

the ****?

I'd agree wholeheartedly that you shouldn't touch biyang. I've been burned by them myself. but joyo is a completely (far as i'm aware) different company.

Ahh my mistake. Somewhere I read that they were the same company rebranded like GFS.
Sorry haha.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
Ahh my mistake. Somewhere I read that they were the same company rebranded like GFS.
Sorry haha.

No, but Freekish Blues is rebranded Joyo.

The Joyos are by all accounts really nice. Build looks solid from pics and they use pretty high quality components. They're clones of well known circuits for insanely cheap (like, sub $40 cheap). I think Dave has a couple that he really likes.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I like my DT-400 Destroyer a lot. 1980s Japan in general is full of these "diamonds".

I want hot PAFs in it eventually, with .08-9s in D.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Brainpolice2
This may seem odd but, I find myself surprisingly liking the Boss Super Overdrive. It is literally the cheapest pedal boss makes, I believe. Like 30-40 bucks.

I tried really hard to like that pedal, but I just couldnt do it. I don't know, it just didnt have enough bite for me. I seems the amp used really effects how it sounds, more so than other pedals.
GEAR
Vox SDC 33
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Quote by RealGuitarHero
Sorry haha.

no worries

but yeah there's a lot of rebranding going on

i keep an eye on that discofreq effects database, it's pretty good for cluing you into what's rebraded

Quote by mmolteratx
No, but Freekish Blues is rebranded Joyo.

The Joyos are by all accounts really nice. Build looks solid from pics and they use pretty high quality components. They're clones of well known circuits for insanely cheap (like, sub $40 cheap). I think Dave has a couple that he really likes.

hehe

but yeah, i mean they're incredibly nice for teh money. I mean, barring the fact that they might just decide to die one day for no reason, I'm probably gonna pick up some more. They're so nice that, for teh things they do a version of, I see no good reason (apart from TGP cork) for buying the "real" thing.

I mean... heck, maybe teh real thing might be slightly more reliable. Maybe the real thing does sound marginally better (though as far as i'm aware, the "real" ts808 doesn't exactly use many cork/mojo components either).

But for teh cost of a ts808 here in the UK I could buy 7 (!) joyos. a bona fide ts808 might outlive one joyo, but is it gonna outlive 7 of the damn things?

plus if you buy from thomann you get a 3 year warranty (and they don't even ask you to send the thing back as it's uneconomical, it's cheaper for them to take your word for it and just send you another). So basically it's guaranteed to work for 3 years. For £24.

Ironically a real tubescreamer costs enough that they probably would ask you to return it if it broke! So actually the warranty is better (from thomann, anyway) on the joyo (LOL).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 29, 2011,