I just got an electric guitar and I'm trying to teach myself but I'm unable to find a decent set of songs that's good for my area. I used to play acoustic for a year about 6 years ago. And I have the gist of a couple of chords. I need songs to play to advance my skills. Any reccs? And ones that include alot of the basics. Thankss
Last edited by filthydoughboy at Dec 27, 2011,
Nirvana, Blink 182, GnR has some fairly simple tunes, Smashing Pumpkins also have some easy tunes to learn as well
Joe Satriani... nah just kidding, but seriously lots of Nirvana. I mean learn the whole Nevermind album and it'll definitely give you a feel for the guitar.
Quote by filthydoughboy
Thanks. And K-ON ftw.

Some of the songs from K-on are pretty easy if you're into playing that kinda thing.
You learn the basics like "Ode to Joy" and "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" as well as learning basic scales and chord shapes, THEN you start playing popular music. Period.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You learn the basics like "Ode to Joy" and "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" as well as learning basic scales and chord shapes, THEN you start playing popular music. Period.

I skipped all that because it was boring as hell. Scales are good to get used to right off the bat as you'd be amazed at what you can do with them ;P
Daughtry's got some pretty easy songs (What About Now, It Feels Like Tonight).
“It’s been very important throughout my career that I’ve met all the guys I’ve copied, because at each stage they’ve said, "Don’t play like me, play like you.”
Eric Clapton

Most Epic Build!
Quote by griffin888
Probably Nickelback, I mean they only know maybe 3 chords.

You could learn their entire discography within minutes!

Creed really helped me back in the day, lol. I don't play them anymore, but they really did help me learn. Also played lots of Metallica and Tool.

Oh how times have changed.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by griffin888
Probably Nickelback, I mean they only know maybe 3 chords.

TS - AC/DC stuff is pretty easy. and there are usually some picking riffs mixed in with some chords so it's not as repetitive as sone stuff but good luck with whatever you choose.
Seether, Linkin Park for some easy power chord stuff, although they tend to play in Eb/Drop Db tuning respectively.

3 Doors Down has some nice stuff of all kinds:
(Finger)picking songs: Away From The Sun, Be Like That. Landing In London or Here Without You for some more advanced stuff.

Some (power)chord songs: Let Me Go or Kryptonite
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
Last edited by Azunaii at Dec 27, 2011,
Please use the sticky in the Musician talk forum. There's one specifically for song recommendations.