Hi,

For a difference of 3 frets (eg 5-7-9), I take personally the index, annular and little finger. I do not take my major because after many years of piano my hand is very deformed, and I can make very large gap between my annular and my little finger. And this difference of 3 frets is 100 times easier for me with these three fingers than with the index / major / little finger.
Is it a bad thing?

ps : sorry for my bad english I'm French.

Thanks in advance.
No, if you can do it it doesn't matter which set of fingers you use in this case.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Do whatever works for you.
I'm sure you'll be fine with it, since it would be better than doing something you don't feel comfortable doing.
Probably not, but if there will be any you'll most likely figure out a way to deal with it.
Yes ... but when I see Petrucci, Gilbert etc ... they don't do like me.

But ... they don't do piano as well ... so I'm gonna take your advice and continue like I always did.
Quote by Syndromed
Yes ... but when I see Petrucci, Gilbert etc ... they don't do like me.

But ... they don't do piano as well ... so I'm gonna take your advice and continue like I always did.

Gilbert often does actually
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
There is no problem. There have been times when I've used my third finger for that kind of shape and there have been times when I've used my second finger. It all depends on what's easiest for you. I tend to prefer using my second finger for that stretch, but that's preference, not better technique or anything.
As long as you are capable of doing both, it doesn't matter which one you choose as preference.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
I used to do the same as it felt much more natural, however a few people on here said that it's best to use index, middle, pinky. At first it felt really awkward, however now I prefer it for some stretches. I still prefer index, ring, pinky for higher frets but get the most even stretch with index, middle pinky on lower ones (possibly different due to hand position). For example for 3-5-7, if using index, ring pinky I can make the stretch but the movement between the ring and pinky is a bit weird when stretching that far - movement between ring and pinky is one of he most difficult for finger independence so adding the stretch to it just adds to the awkwardness.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)