okay im just recording to record for youtube and do covers over songs. but i would to love how to make my guitar sound great too because my band is going to record here soon and i cant figure out how to get rid of the white noise. i cant really figure out anything...i dont know how to compress, eq or anything...if someone doesnt care to walk me through ill be very greatful
maybe you are willing to share some information with us, like how do you record your guitar? what software do you use? ...
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Quote by vince1991
maybe you are willing to share some information with us, like how do you record your guitar? what software do you use? ...

sorry im new here...ummm i use sonar 8, producer edition and x1 it all depends on what im feeling...i also own audacity but its not that good...or i really cant get a professional recording out of it...ummm i record my guitar not micd i mean i have tried it micd and since i have a bad microphone it sucked
Quote by z4twenny
so you're running your guitar directly into an audio interface i'm assuming?

yes sir and another thing i cant seem to pull up my pod farm on any of my sonar...i really need help
Quote by FireHawk
Are you running into an interface or a stock sound card through a line in/mic in/etc

This is what i was trying to get at. Is it the crappy stock soundcard or a real audio interface purchased specfically for recording, if so which interface is it?
Quote by FireHawk
Are you running into an interface or a stock sound card through a line in/mic in/etc

im running my guitar into a alesis guitarlink and them into my sonar
Quote by z4twenny
This is what i was trying to get at. Is it the crappy stock soundcard or a real audio interface purchased specfically for recording, if so which interface is it?

it says interface
what kind of music are you recording? Metal? Cleans? If you're using high gain settings, it could be noise from the amp. Hell, it could be radio noise. I live next to a cell tower and i get interference every couple days. Try moving your computer away from anything with a large transformer, like the amp. You could try a noise suppressor, that might do it. You also might be able to filter it in software. I believe audacity has a noise filter plug in, but i'm not the guy to ask. I use a roland digital 8 track, and whenever I get noise, I turn up the source (amp) and drop the input sensitivity on the mixer. I find that usually cleans it up pretty well.
when i record distorted sounds with a line from the amp to the interface it has considerably more noise than when i record with a microphone. i don't know why. but recording the song clean and distorting it on your pc can solve this noise.

i prefer microphones. if you ever have some money to spare i recommend you trying it out. a lot of good microphones aren't that expensive.
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
If I were you I'd buy a real recording interface instead of that; I can't imagine it working very well and I'd bet that's where the problems are coming from. PodFarm is also normally locked to either ilok or Line6 devices so I'm not surprised it's not working in your DAW.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by metalfanforlife

This is your issue, get a real audio interface
Quote by dustinp
what kind of music are you recording? Metal? Cleans? If you're using high gain settings, it could be noise from the amp. Hell, it could be radio noise. I live next to a cell tower and i get interference every couple days. Try moving your computer away from anything with a large transformer, like the amp. You could try a noise suppressor, that might do it. You also might be able to filter it in software. I believe audacity has a noise filter plug in, but i'm not the guy to ask. I use a roland digital 8 track, and whenever I get noise, I turn up the source (amp) and drop the input sensitivity on the mixer. I find that usually cleans it up pretty well.

i play metalcore to deathcore i love all metal ....and i was running my amp with a mic but like i said it sounds better ran straight cause my mic sucks..lol
Quote by vince1991
when i record distorted sounds with a line from the amp to the interface it has considerably more noise than when i record with a microphone. i don't know why. but recording the song clean and distorting it on your pc can solve this noise.

i prefer microphones. if you ever have some money to spare i recommend you trying it out. a lot of good microphones aren't that expensive.

yeah i want to try the clean and than distort it but i cant figure out how to pull up my pod farm or my amplitube...please help...and yeah i would do that but than i would need a couple hundred and i dont have that because i want my sweet 7 string
that interface isn't too bad actually. I've got one i used to use to record electric violin. Like chemicalfire said, You're probably not going to be able to pull up pod farm. They're right, Microphones are better. Since you're saving for a 7 string, either pull the money from that to get a decent mic, or hold off recording until you have the dough to get one, then you can get great recordings from that 7 string. @Vince, the reason you're getting so much more noise with a line is because with a mic, you lose a lot of that noise during translation from the speaker to the mic. Myself, I hate directly recording distortion. I'll grab a mic and spend the extra 3 minutes to set it up
Quote by dustinp
that interface isn't too bad actually. I've got one i used to use to record electric violin. Like chemicalfire said, You're probably not going to be able to pull up pod farm. They're right, Microphones are better. Since you're saving for a 7 string, either pull the money from that to get a decent mic, or hold off recording until you have the dough to get one, then you can get great recordings from that 7 string. @Vince, the reason you're getting so much more noise with a line is because with a mic, you lose a lot of that noise during translation from the speaker to the mic. Myself, I hate directly recording distortion. I'll grab a mic and spend the extra 3 minutes to set it up

yeah i dont think its that bad its just i dont know how to get that white noise out of the recording...i think its great for the money you pay...umm yeah i just might pull the money but yeah man i love the new 7 string im getting im deciding on either the scecter hellraiser c-7 or the ibanez rga7....probably the schecter but i dont know i have always owned a ibanez except for my first guitar and they have treated me well but i might want to try something new....i dont know i love that hellraiser though "
If you're using a distortion pedal your problem is the noise created by the distortion. In the studio i usually use a line 6 spider II combo to record. I love the noise cancelling on it. If not, it's interference from something in or around your signal path. Computers are actually really sonically noisy. Sorry for the alliteration. I had an ibanez for a while, and in my opinion they should change the name to Ibeenhad. The schecter is going to be a lot better. That's just my opinion though. The best guitar is the one that feels the best in your hands and gives you the tone you want
Quote by dustinp
@Vince, the reason you're getting so much more noise with a line is because with a mic, you lose a lot of that noise during translation from the speaker to the mic.

oh thanks, didn't know that

Quote by metalfanforlife
no money man...i cant

well.. it's not like you'll never have more money than you have now right? there are many years to come.

and if you're really that impatient you can always prostitute yourself.
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Quote by dustinp
If you're using a distortion pedal your problem is the noise created by the distortion. In the studio i usually use a line 6 spider II combo to record. I love the noise cancelling on it. If not, it's interference from something in or around your signal path. Computers are actually really sonically noisy. Sorry for the alliteration. I had an ibanez for a while, and in my opinion they should change the name to Ibeenhad. The schecter is going to be a lot better. That's just my opinion though. The best guitar is the one that feels the best in your hands and gives you the tone you want

yeah i actually tested out my new spider iv 120 amp in guitar center with the schecter...and it was sick man...and lol i still love ibanez man...im a die hard fan...but there stuff now is just awful...but i have 09 rgr421exfm and its beautiful and plays so great and it feels like a dream...only for 550...i have another ibanez that im not proud of...its the rg220 2010 model and it feels cheaper than plastic and sounds the same....i need to get rid of it and maybe that will go towards my seven
Never buy Line 6 Spiders.

Ever.

They are digital sounding shitey fail.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Never buy Line 6 Spiders.

Ever.

They are digital sounding shitey fail.

thats pure opinion because i love mine
Quote by metalfanforlife
thats pure opinion because i love mine

Exactly I love the cleans on it and the ****ing nasty sounding distortion on my spider III

My I prefer amp sims over it so it dorms t get much use anymore
Yeah, that's definitely subjective. If you spend enough time playing with the spider, you'll find some badass tones in there. I love the thing for the versatility. If i wanted something that only does cleans, I'd have bought a fender, but I can't justify having a fender, a marshall, 4 mesa's and an engl around when i can get close to the same thing out of my line 6. Plus, I use that thing gigging all over the place and it's tough as nails. Can't tell you how many times i've smacked it against stuff or dropped it and it's still going. If you can find me anything that has as much gain as a spider II insane channel, I'll buy it tomorrow.
Last edited by dustinp at Dec 29, 2011,
Quote by FireHawk
Exactly I love the cleans on it and the ****ing nasty sounding distortion on my spider III

My I prefer amp sims over it so it dorms t get much use anymore

exactly but people just are so ignorant
Quote by dustinp
Yeah, that's definitely subjective. If you spend enough time playing with the spider, you'll find some badass tones in there. I love the thing for the versatility. If i wanted something that only does cleans, I'd have bought a fender, but I can't justify having a fender, a marshall, 4 mesa's and an engl around when i can get close to the same thing out of my line 6. Plus, I use that thing gigging all over the place and it's tough as nails. Can't tell you how many times i've smacked it against stuff or dropped it and it's still going. If you can find me anything that has as much gain as a spider II insane channel, I'll buy it tomorrow.

exactly i have the iv 120 watt version and its amazing i love my spider and i dont care what anyone else says