Me and my band are recording drums and we ran into a problem. The kick drum is resonating too much. How do we stop it?
Noise gate maybe? Maybe move the mic around or a compressor? Just some shots in the dark.
Gear
Guitars-
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
Paul Reed Smith Mike Mushok Baritone
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
B-52 LS-100 and Matching cab
and tons of miscellaneous stuff
Put a blanket inside it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
stuff it with pillows and use a softer beater
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
We glued egg crate around the inside of the shell and put a pilow in it. we fixed it though and ran a noise gate on it
A gate will cut it off in such a way that it won't sound natural.

You really need to fill the cavity with some blankets, pillows, etc., and ensure that some of that muffling material touches the skin/head that is resonating too much.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
What's the bass drum? How do you have it mic'd?

Don't do the damping with blankets and towels, you'll just muddy up the sound further. Try using electrical tape across the surface of the drum to dampen the skin lightly and reduce ring. If you want more click, try taping a credit card or similar to the spot where the beater hits.

More than anything, it's probably the quality of the drumhead that's the problem.
check the tuning of the drum. If you want the drum muffled and more "dead" sounding, using a blanket or pillow inside the drum helps but it takes some experimentation (make sure it's not too muddy or dead).

Other things that can help are using little bits of tape on the drum head, or taping foam rings on the resonant head.

My friend and I have had that problem with a 22" kick drum- it was tuned quite low and was very resonant. He taped two foam rings around the outer head and it instantly sounded better.
Last edited by strat335 at Dec 28, 2011,