Hey,

I have posted questions about alternate picking in the past, but this one will be somewhat different. I still have a problem with alternate picking, but I have realised some other things as well:

I realised like 3 days ago that the source of my problems with alternate picking might have been the fact that I used an anchor (I put my pinky on the top of the guitar and sometimes I put the side of my palm near the bridge too). When I started to think more and more about this, I decided that I would give up anchoring, and start practising picking unanchored. This way 3 days ago. However, in the process I discovered another problem: The way I hold the pick...

I hold the pick in a way that when I pick single strings, the top of my index finger (the fingertip, and the nail to be more precise) touches the picked string, or the below string. What is more, the same is true for simple strumming. When I strum downwards, I strums that strings with the nail of my index, not just the pick. These things are really driving my crazy at the moment, cause I want a clean picking technique finally...

I tried holding the pick in different ways, but none of those seem comfortable. So what do you guys suggest?

Here are the pictures! (Sorry for the quality!)
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg705/scaled.php?server=705&filename=lk3p.jpg&res=medium

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg26/scaled.php?server=26&filename=lk2r.jpg&res=medium

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg717/scaled.php?server=717&filename=59752527.jpg&res=medium
Last edited by kiraly5 at Dec 31, 2011,
picking wont suddenly feel comfortable in 3 days.. how about sticking to whatever you consider the most appropiate style for you, for 3 weeks or 3 months ?

Just be persistent
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Move the pick slightly so that your finger is further from the tip?

Without actually seeing how you hold the pick that's about as good as the advice is going to get.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
There's nothing wrong with "anchoring"! Petrucci (someone I think can actually use alternate picking) always does it!
just another Heavy Metal guitar player
Slow down and focus on not brushing your finger against the string. As Zaphod said, there's not much we can say here without seeing exactly what you're doing.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Petrucci might anchor but he tenses up on fast picking runs and even said himself if he learnt guitar again he wouldn't anchor.
I took some photos of the way I hold the pick. See pics in the original question box above!
Quote by kiraly5
I took some photos of the way I hold the pick. See pics in the original question box above!

Yeah, you do just need to adjust your grip, flex your index finger more so the pick is more perpendicular to the bone in your fingertip.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.