Well to put it simply i need help choosing some new headphones which will be used for mixing and general music/movie listening (worded terribly i know), I'm looking to spend no more than £100 and that is sort of my absolute limit...I've been looking through the Sennheiser HD range after a bit of research and a lot of people suggesting for that price they're a good bet.

So i began looking for prices on these headphones (looking at open headphones) and the ones i find that fall into the limit of my price range are the HD518 and HD558, and when i was about set to pay either the £80 for the 518's or £100 for the 558's, i got offered a pair of HD595's (possibly the step up from HD558's?) for £100...and not sure if that's as amazing a deal as i think it is, i could use some guidance

Sorry for the long explanation and i'm sure i've missed off some key details...but any help would be very much appreciated
I have some HD 25's which I rate.

If you want these for recording vocals or accoustic instruments then you NEED a closed back type (and these can be cheaper - £25 will be OK). For using instead of / as well as monitor speakers on mix down then the open back types are preferred.

Alternatives by KRK and AKG also worth a look. Senns tend to be bass end light c/w others I find.
for mixing headphones, some sennheiser HD's are a good choice, but its because their sounds have a perfectly flat eq response, which isnt really the greatest for general listening in my opinion. what i have seen as the standard from sennheiser is the HD280's, which are in fact good for mixing and what not, but like i said, not for general listening, and they sound really really high in the mids, and lacking treble and bass.

my current headphones are actually AKG K99, which i personally believe have a great balance in the EQ response for going between listening and mixing. but i have not tried many headphones in my time, as i am sure that other people on here have, so dont take it from me

edit: what PSimonR said about the whole open/closed back thing, the K99 are open back, so they are better for mixing, not recording
Last edited by olix95 at Dec 27, 2011,
Thanks very much people!

I have a pair of cheap closed back headphones already so in that area i'm covered, getting these primarily for mixing, instead of but eventually as well as monitor speakers (low on money at the moment), also just as a comparison...when you say not good for general listening would you say worse than laptop speakers? because anything above that is classed as good quality to my ears at this moment in time.

I'm going to check out the headphones mentioned and have another look around, thanks for the help so far!
Audio Technica ATH-M50s are the best for audio engineering under ~$400. Most headphones these days are super hyped in the lowend to accommodate hip hop music. They are not good for mixing, because they don't have a very "flat" response, which means your mixes will be deficient in many key areas of the spectrum.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Another thing i forgot to mention but with my limited knowledge i'm not sure how much it will affect the decision, the mixing will mainly be for acoustic guitar based songs, and occasionally rock songs,
I've just looked up the audio technica headphones and they're £30 more...with me needing to buy a new macbook battery and my lack of job with january exams coming up i would be waiting maybe ~2 months to get the money, are they significantly better than the 595's would you say?
I back anything from Sennheiser, i had a pair of ear phones that cost 20 quid, and they're the best set of earphones i have. Good for monitoring the bass in a song, also have a pair of HD's which are great
Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960
Engl Powerball 120 Watt
Orange PPC212 Cabi
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
Personally, I'd never mix with headphones but if you really have to I would just look up the frequency response graphs for all the well-respected headphone models you can find and choose the flattest. Just make sure you don't use the same pair for monitoring during tracking, unless your budget is mega low, as I wouldn't want to put something as vital for mixing through the wear and tear of *shudder* 'musicians' using them
Hey, look. Sigs are back.