Thought i'd ask in here seen as i got no feedback in the gb&c thread... Can any one here recommend any bridges that are an upgrade from the stock ones on the squire VM series? I know Badass II's are quite popular but i wanna see what else is on the market before jumping in and buying the only one i've heard of... I dont want to spend more than a badass II would cost me and i would preferably like it to be available in black

Thanks in advance
Thats VERY cheap in comparison to the Badass II. Is it of a similar quality or is it more like the standard ones? Have you ever used one before

Sorry for all the questions by the way haha
The Gotoh 201 is a good bridge, higher mass then a standard Fender/Squier bridge, but not as bulky as a Badass II. I replaced the bridge on my Precision with a 201 and it's been great, plus it's on the cheaper side as far as bridges go.

You may also want to look into the Babicz Full Contact bridge. Its a little pricey, but its a drop in replacement (like the Gotoh and BAII), and people have been saying wonderful things about it. And you can get it in black.

Hipshot is also an option. You can get both A and B styles made to retrofit a Fender/Squier. Again, pricey, but it's Hipshot, some of the best hardware you can get.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
The Badass Bridge is simply the best, its worth the money. Gotoh are really good for the price, good for adding a little sustain. Hipshot are stupidly overpriced.
Those babicz look beautiful! But yeah, very pricey. $140 so thats like what £100 or something? The Gotoh is far more in my price range but the babicz looks very tempting...

EDIT - They have some hipshots on ebay for about £40, i cant quite work out why they would be so much cheaper there...
Last edited by SamWhiteBASS at Dec 27, 2011,
Quote by SamWhiteBASS
EDIT - They have some hipshots on ebay for about £40, i cant quite work out why they would be so much cheaper there...

They're cheaper because they're used. They might have a little wear, maybe a little tarnishing. When you go used, you get what you get.

Hipshot runs so expensive new because you can order different options. New you can pick between a variety of colors, choose between aluminum and brass, and get them in a handful of different string spacings.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Why kind of gear are you using? I'd wager the bridge is never the most pressing thing to upgrade. A lot of people can't find a difference or just nothing worth the $$$ unless it was already in place when purchased then who argues.
Quote by askrere
Why kind of gear are you using? I'd wager the bridge is never the most pressing thing to upgrade. A lot of people can't find a difference or just nothing worth the $$$ unless it was already in place when purchased then who argues.

+1
Ive got a squire VM p bass and an old laney 200 watt head and 4x12 cab, its nothing special, but its got a nice tone and is more than loud enough for me.

Im doing a few things to my bass because i've saved up some money from working and christmas. I cant afford to get a new one that would be much better than my current one so im just going to do some mods to this, new bridge and maybe some pups, that kind of thing. I know bridges might not be the most pressing of matters but I'd rather spend the money on something that i use all the time than wasting it on clothes or something like that.

Also, whats the Hipshot like in comparison to the Gohtos? I can get hold of both for about the same price.
Quote by SamWhiteBASS
Ive got a squire VM p bass and an old laney 200 watt head and 4x12 cab, its nothing special, but its got a nice tone and is more than loud enough for me.

Im doing a few things to my bass because i've saved up some money from working and christmas. I cant afford to get a new one that would be much better than my current one so im just going to do some mods to this, new bridge and maybe some pups, that kind of thing. I know bridges might not be the most pressing of matters but I'd rather spend the money on something that i use all the time than wasting it on clothes or something like that.

Also, whats the Hipshot like in comparison to the Gohtos? I can get hold of both for about the same price.

I think what askrere was trying to say that, if you haven't upgraded anything else on your bass, and you're going after the bridge first, you should probably think of upgrading something else.

A bridge probably won't change anything about your bass except the way it looks. It won't do anything to your sound, which if I were upgrading, would be the first thing I look at. Maybe try upgrading the pups or electronics before going after the bridge.
pinga
I'm upgrading most parts on the bass, I'm not just doing the bridge. I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with bridges they would recommend

Though while on the topic, if any one can suggest some nice P-bass pickups for like a pop punk/ hardcore band?
Here's where you will get a broad spectrum of opinions, but for a punchy bright sound on Pbass pickups without putting out a tonne of cash, I'd recommend the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders. I put a set on my AccuBass a while back and I really like the sound.
I'd been looking at getting some of those actually, they are pretty nice, good to hear some good feedback on them

Still, can anyone give me some kind of comparison between the hipshot and the gotoh? Which is regarded as better or whatever?
Not many people here I know of have swapped bridges and those that have didn't between several 3rd party bridges on the same bass. I'd wager if they did anything they would add a minute bit of sustain at the cost of weight.

Do you have a hard shell case? extra strings? tuner pedal? spare patch and long cables? the list is endless of things you could use especially if you ever plan to play with others or just take your bass outside of the room you keep it in.