Page 1 of 2
Imagine one of your favourite musicians, one whose music and/or lyrics affect you on an emotional level and mean a lot to you.

Imagine if, in an interview, they reveal that all the music they write is just gibberish. They just throw words and notes together, record whatever comes out, and the public thinks it's the work of a genius. They have no connection to their own music, they're just churning out meaningless garbage to see what they can get away with. The listeners are all looking for a meaning in the music which was never there in the first place.

What would your reaction be?
Would it affect how you perceive the artist and their music?

Wouldn't really care that much really. As long as the music's good.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Well alot of Chili Peppers stuff IS just that; crazy words phrases and sayings thrown together
Mastodon's lyrics are normally a 'story' so I might just feel disconnected to the band (but mostly just Brent)
And I already know most of Alice in Chains' really good songs were not written by Layne Staley
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Meh, I'll take it as what I get from it.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Sounds like Nirvana and Kurt Cobain?

Bob Dylan has pieced together lyrics, melodies and lines his entire career. Why would I care? It's still fantastic.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I'd be amazed at their ability to put random shit together into coherent awesomeness.
🙈 🙉 🙊
What if your favourite artist's songs were written by a computer program that takes into account their writing style, making it sound authentic, but not requiring any personal input?
I don't care for the artists themselves. I only care for the music.

They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Then I would secretly admire his calculated nonchalance and emulate his purported nihilism.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

What does it matter what the writer thinks anyway? Unless you somehow take pride in understanding the "real" meaning of the lyrics, it's pretty meaningless what the intention was.
Music is no different to literature.

All those times sitting in english and analyzing texts like
"the walls of the house were blue"
and the teachers say the writer wrote it to show his deep depression at the time or the neverending sadness cast throughout because of a darkened history...
In reality the house was just painted blue and thats why the writer wrote it.

Why can't someone just write a simple piece of music without someone turning it into some crazy metaphor for substance abuse/ days gone by.
It's what pop artist's are doing today,Not many seem to mind there Bullshit.
I went to the zoo the other day, there was only one dog in it, it was a shitzu.

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Everything you believed is a lie. Everyone you loved is a death-burden.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
If Opeth is just random notes and words put together..

awesome.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Wouldn't change much. I don't actually understand what my favorite band sings about anyway.
IMO that is the truth.

For example Stairway to Heaven is just pretty sounds and words put together, but it works out beautifully. Looking for a deep meaning in every song you listen to is fine, it's just not going to mean the same to you as it does to those who wrote it or to other fans.
We tend to over-analyse things like this, when in reality it's usually about free interpretation, whatever you want it to mean. And that takes nothing away from the music.

Unless you mean they do it randomly without putting any effort into it, in which case it's pretty surreal, but it could mean the songwriter has simply worked out an easy and efficient mechanism they use to create music, it's still good.

Essentially, I don't care.
A lot of artists string notes together. A lot of personal style comes from just doing it naturally, rather than thinking.
I've thought about that. I try not to think about it, as it depresses me.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
My favorite artist is Devin Townsend, and I strongly, strongly doubt he does much more than what you described.
I wouldn't mind. It'd make me laugh
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by burghUK
Music is no different to literature.

All those times sitting in english and analyzing texts like
"the walls of the house were blue"
and the teachers say the writer wrote it to show his deep depression at the time or the neverending sadness cast throughout because of a darkened history...
In reality the house was just painted blue and thats why the writer wrote it.

Why can't someone just write a simple piece of music without someone turning it into some crazy metaphor for substance abuse/ days gone by.

This. The reason why they do it is to get good academic grades or just to seem like intellectuals.

In reality, its irrelevant to the actual story.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 27, 2011,
Quote by sashki
What if your favourite artist's songs were written by a computer program that takes into account their writing style, making it sound authentic, but not requiring any personal input?

It's called rap.

Not all of it, of course, but a lot.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
depends what im listening too... if it was kid cudi i for sure would feel maybe.. betrayed? i can relate to his music alot but if it was katy perry well **** that
Wouldn't change a thing. Music is a shared experience.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
I am quite sure most of RHCP's lyrics are written like that.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
If any artist claims that every single word and note they have put into their song comes from a deep, dark, personal place than can only expressed through the medium of music then they are extremely pretentious.
Music, to me, more suits a mood rather than constant emotion.
BTBAM: Makes sense

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Well my favorite bands are probably Animal Collective, The Flaming Lips, Deerhunter, Modest Mouse, and of Montreal, so...

I would say Animal Collective probably does this, but I really don't think they do, at least not very often. So I guess what I'm saying is I would be sort of surprised but not really.

The Flaming Lips definitely do this so I wouldn't care at all.

Bradford Cox I'm pretty sure has even admitted that a lot of Deerhunter's Cryptograms lyrics were kind of made up on the spot after the music had been written, so I'd not really care.

Modest Mouse definitely does not do this. There's no way "Styrofoam Boots" or any of The Lonesome Crowded West (besides "Shit Luck") was written like that (or the vast majority of the rest of their work).

Of Montreal probably does it about a fourth of the time, but the other 3/4ths they're not.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Dec 27, 2011,
Came to say TS read a Beatles interview, but JackalUK beat me by several hours.. oh well.

On topic, I'm with the ones saying that people make too much of small, inconsequential details. Not really a big deal. I don't go to my music for life inspiration.
Quote by DukeDeRox
Obviously you got this.
It wouldn't change the way I feel because if I connected with the music on a emotional level, then that connection had already been made.
Yeah, well...you know, that's just like, your opinion, man....

Quote by entity0009
I'd be amazed at their ability to put random shit together into coherent awesomeness.

this.
Page 1 of 2