Hey fellas -
I've got a bolt-on hardtail 7 string, mahogany body and maple neck&fretboard that seems to be reacting to the weather -
the neck seems to be constantly shifting - i might get buzzing on the lowest string one day which is gone by the next day, and replaced by a buzzing in the highest string.
Likewise, it's constantly going out of tune, both flat and sharp.

At times i pick it up when it's cold and play it - it'll be fine for 10 minutes or so, but then start going out of tune every minute or so of playing.

The neck isn't explicitly moving - i can't see, feel or hear it asides for some occasional minor 'creaking' noises when i push the neck forward or pull it back.

Seeing as various strings are going sharp on their own, i'm thinking maybe something in the wood or neck joint is moving... The neck seems completely unfinished (i can feel the grain), would tung-oiling it help? Maybe heating the neck to 'cook' it a bit?
I'm at a loss here.

any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
"...But dignity is difficult to maintain,
stamina requires constant upkeep,
repetition is boring
and you pay for grace."
Last edited by Quitty at Dec 27, 2011,
Nobody?
repetition is boring
and you pay for grace."
That's unusual behaviour for maple, perhaps the lack of finish is making it worse. Oil might help a bit, but if its picking up changes in temperature and humidity that fast, you probably need a an airtight coating. Too bad, I love the feel of clear wood.
Double check your neck bolts. There shouldn't be any creaking noises. Also lube your nut: a pinch in the string slot can keep back a bit of tension and release it later. (but that wont affect buzzing, so its probably not the issue) Can your saddles move around at all? I recently had a stripped intonation screw, and it does things to tuning.
Quote by RebuildIt
That's unusual behaviour for maple, perhaps the lack of finish is making it worse. Oil might help a bit, but if its picking up changes in temperature and humidity that fast, you probably need a an airtight coating. Too bad, I love the feel of clear wood.
Double check your neck bolts. There shouldn't be any creaking noises. Also lube your nut: a pinch in the string slot can keep back a bit of tension and release it later. (but that wont affect buzzing, so its probably not the issue) Can your saddles move around at all? I recently had a stripped intonation screw, and it does things to tuning.

air-tight, as in wipe-on poly? I was trying to avoid that, but i'd rather have a plastic-feeling neck than a non-stable guitar...
Neck bolts are as tight as can be, still some creaking - but only once in a while and never consistent.
I noticed today that the neck bow is definitely changing. In my case, over three or four days, the neck straightened a bit... Which is probably the cause of the buzzing, maybe tuning deficiencies too. Anything to be done about that?

Saddles are alright AFAIK. Fully functional.
repetition is boring
and you pay for grace."
I would take the neck off and make sure that there was no debris or irregularities in the neck pocket. IF there isn't, I would try oiling the neck first.
Quote by Rusty_Chisel
I would take the neck off and make sure that there was no debris or irregularities in the neck pocket. IF there isn't, I would try oiling the neck first.

Roger that - my bottle of tung oil should be coming in soon.
If that doesn't seem to work, would i be able to put wipe-on poly on top? And should it help?
repetition is boring
and you pay for grace."