Hey guys. I'm looking to replace my Jazz copy which, although for what I paid feels lovely, I really don't trust for gigs anymore.

I've been looking half-heartedly for a while and thought I was set on one of the new Epi Ripper Re-Issues. I've also been considering the Squier VM Precision, Jazz and Mustang.

But I was wandering if I upped my budget a bit what would be open to me? I'm gigging at home and have a similar band on the way at uni and I'd like a solid bass to last me a while. I seem to be able to find loads of stuff ~£300 and loads ~£800+ but very little in between. Is it just me?

I play noisy/fuzzy aggressive punk/noise rock type stuff, but on my own I play a lot more, lots of RHCP and what I guess is known as "Indie". Gigs, obviously, are more important but a bit of versatility wouldn't go amiss. I need something solid that'll handle a wall of fuzz. I quite like satin finishes, don't mind a bit of weight and simplicity is a plus.

I've been wandering if I could snag something like a used Fender Highway 1 P in my price range, since I've only seen good things of the HWY1s? Or one of the American Special series or a Blacktop Jazz or Modern Player Jag? But I'm not sure of the quality or price of any of these and they'd have to be bought new. I don't really want to spend much over £500 and my gigging amp varies since I have no transport at uni.

(Basically, <£500 bass for noisy/scuzzy punk)

Any help would be much appreciated, cheers guys
Last edited by ProgFolk12 at Dec 27, 2011,
VM jazzes are pretty unanimously liked about these places, and based on you already playing a similar bass it might be the right choice.
from my own perspective, try as many basses out as you can. something might click and you'll be set for life. i'd also recommend yamaha rbx basses.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Thanks, I'll have a gander. And aye, I do like the VMs I've seen and I'll be trying everything I can when I have chance in the new year!

I've been wandering recently, I've seen the odd US Standard P Bass for ~£500-600 and I wandered if, in the bass forum's opinion, it's worth investing the extra money to get something higher end? Obviously I know the difference in quality between US Fenders and Squiers but I don't know if I'd notice the difference as much because of my changing amps and unconventional, aggressive playing style?
Last edited by ProgFolk12 at Dec 29, 2011,
To be that guy, punk is playing what you got. Any bass can be universally versatile and a Jazz is right up there. That said, If your playing NOISY WALL OF FUZZ, there is not much in the way of subtle, so most of what you would be looking for is solid and dependable, and feels good. A American P bass with custom pickups won't sound different than a Squier P when loaded up on a bunch of gain, fuzz and modulation.

If you are in Uni, you have years and a career to help you save for a nice American Fender. A VM Jazz would be perfect for now and keeps some money in your pocket for upgrades, strings, case etc.

Also if your gigging at home, at uni and going everywhere, there is bigger chance of damage or theft occurring so a 300 bass is better to have than a 600. When I go off this spring I'm taking my bronco not my CIJ mustang.
Quote by askrere
To be that guy, punk is playing what you got. Any bass can be universally versatile and a Jazz is right up there. That said, If your playing NOISY WALL OF FUZZ, there is not much in the way of subtle, so most of what you would be looking for is solid and dependable, and feels good. A American P bass with custom pickups won't sound different than a Squier P when loaded up on a bunch of gain, fuzz and modulation.

If you are in Uni, you have years and a career to help you save for a nice American Fender. A VM Jazz would be perfect for now and keeps some money in your pocket for upgrades, strings, case etc.

Also if your gigging at home, at uni and going everywhere, there is bigger chance of damage or theft occurring so a 300 bass is better to have than a 600. When I go off this spring I'm taking my bronco not my CIJ mustang.

I think that if you have a better bass, you should use it. i dislike the thougth of "I'm saving my best stuff, so it oesn't get robbed"... why would you have something good if you're not going to use it when it counts,i mean, gigging. basses may get damaged gigging, and theft is always an ugly possibility, but we all ave to live with that...

TS I think the same way as you do. between a high end squier and a MIA fender, there's nothing good enough to buy. i think that is because VM/CVs are so good value for the money that there's no point in reinvesting if not for the real deal. but, hey, that's the best that can happen, this way you can0t throw away money in between now and the real high end bass!

I recommend you get a VM or a CV (CV are very little more expensive than VM's, but you should try them and decide which you like the most.) squier. I also suggest that you try P basses also, since you like punk. P bass is regarded as a great punk bass.

i like Jazz basses better though, but i compared both before buying. so i recommend you to do the same.

hope this helps a little. Best luck!
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
While most people equate Precisions = punk, one of the best punk players in my book, Klaus Floride, played a Jazz bass for most of his career.

So try both.
Quote by anarkee
While most people equate Precisions = punk, one of the best punk players in my book, Klaus Floride, played a Jazz bass for most of his career.

So try both.

Now I feel like i've been pointed out
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Sudaka
Now I feel like i've been pointed out

Not at all mijo, I think your advice was good and I agree with what you say for the most part.

Most people do recommend punk players to use P basses. Its become a standard, but remember punk is about breaking the standard and rebuilding your own.

Also I'm not a huge fan of "I play ____________, therefore I need a ______ bass. Its so limiting. You may not end up playing metal or punk for the rest of your musical life. My approach is find a bass that works for you and make it work for what you play. That's the way new ground is broken.
Quote by anarkee
Not at all mijo, I think your advice was good and I agree with what you say for the most part.

Most people do recommend punk players to use P basses. Its become a standard, but remember punk is about breaking the standard and rebuilding your own.

Also I'm not a huge fan of "I play ____________, therefore I need a ______ bass. Its so limiting. You may not end up playing metal or punk for the rest of your musical life. My approach is find a bass that works for you and make it work for what you play. That's the way new ground is broken.

We agree, then, since i think anyone should get the bass (or guitar, or keyboard, etc...) that likes how it sounds, without caring for what it is most commonly used. but that i learned recently, and after starting playing bass... with guitars it's even more clearly stated that X guitars are for X genre...
Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
I think, in all fairness, I ought to explain that my first love has never been punk and, especially when I'm playing guitar, I LOVE funk, blues and even jazz. But bringing the scuzzy noise is what I love doing with the band :P A lot of the time we're bordering on doom/hardcore type influences so perhaps punk is a little inaccurate.

I'm going to be trying everything I can and I will be playing various genres in my own time. But I am tempted to agree that I'm not going to gain a great deal from having a high end bass. One of the reasons that I loved the epi ripper is it's big, hefty, relatively versatile and it should work well for the stuff I want to do.

Also, thanks for all the input! I think another reason I like the look of P's is I've got fairly big hands and, while I like the neck on my jazz, wouldn't mind trying something a bit chunkier.

Right now I'm really liking the look of the whole range of Squier VMs as well as the Epiphone Ripper. I think the point of security and safety while taking this stuff around is a good call too. I might save some of the cash to invest in a decent hardcase and straplocks and such.
Have a look at as much used gear as possible, especially at this time of year,with unwanted presents/selling gear to pay of xmas loans and such, you could get something for a damn good price! I really dont think I can add any more advice,as what's been said covers it all!! So, yeah, listen to all these cool dudes and Tam, the coolest dudette!!
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I completely disagree about not getting a high end bass.

An instrument is somewhat of an investment, you want something that is going to meet your needs now as well as down the road. You don't want to get a Squire now and in year think you need an upgrade. A better bass is going to sound better, it's going to play better, the hardware is going to be better, the electronics are going to be better....

If you have the money and you can afford it - you'll set yourself up nicely for now and for later.
Agreed. Sudaka with no offense intended I think your views on low end vs high end basses in down to lack of experience with high end instruments. I've owned a good 12ish basses, including one of the Squier VMs that most people on here praise highly and "lower end" models than that too. While the Squiers are really great playing and sounding instruments for the money you pay, in terms of construction, sound and overall quality they just don't touch the 3 US made and 1 Japanese made basses I currently own.
Quote by consecutive e
Agreed. Sudaka with no offense intended I think your views on low end vs high end basses in down to lack of experience with high end instruments. I've owned a good 12ish basses, including one of the Squier VMs that most people on here praise highly and "lower end" models than that too. While the Squiers are really great playing and sounding instruments for the money you pay, in terms of construction, sound and overall quality they just don't touch the 3 US made and 1 Japanese made basses I currently own.

I never ment to state that a squier VM would match those basses... Obviously. What i wanted to say is that between a Squier and a Japanese or american fender, there`s nothing in between worth buying (aka mexicans, and always talking about fender like model basses). I mean that until you can get a japanese or American fender, there's no point in spending money on something in between that will only delay the buying of a real bass (like japanese or american basses are). Definetly, one of those are miles away from Squiers in build quality, pick ups, woods, hardware, etc. I just wanted to state that, UNTIL you can get a japanese or american fender, you shouldn't waste your money buying a mexican or something like that.

Do you agree with this? do i make any sense now?

thanks for the input, I'm learning quite a lot from trying things at stores and wandering around this forum

and happy new year!
Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Have you thought about a Sterling Ray34 ( It is the cheaper line of Music Man basses) but still a very nice bass.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Sudaka

I don't entirely agree that anything between VM and CV Squiers and MIJ/MIA Fenders isn't worth looking into.

MIM instruments really should be taken on a case-by-case basis. I've played a fair few Mexican Fenders (including my own) that walk all over every CV or VM I've ever tried. I've also come across plenty of lemons that would be lucky to be called shoddy. It can definitely be worth it to look into MIM's, moreso if you go used, but there are some gems to be found for sure.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Agreed on MIM Fenders. I've played some bad ones, but some great ones. They're a great choice if you can try before you buy. I used to own a killer 70's reissue MIM Jazz.
Quote by Sudaka
I never ment to state that a squier VM would match those basses... Obviously. What i wanted to say is that between a Squier and a Japanese or american fender, there`s nothing in between worth buying (aka mexicans, and always talking about fender like model basses). I mean that until you can get a japanese or American fender, there's no point in spending money on something in between that will only delay the buying of a real bass (like japanese or american basses are). Definetly, one of those are miles away from Squiers in build quality, pick ups, woods, hardware, etc. I just wanted to state that, UNTIL you can get a japanese or american fender, you shouldn't waste your money buying a mexican or something like that.

thanks for the input, I'm learning quite a lot from trying things at stores and wandering around this forum

and happy new year!

Ah, I was reading your responses wrong. My bad .
I can't say I agree with you though. People like to look over the MIMs because of all the "hit and miss" Standard series. The Roadworns, while I personally can't get on with the feel of them, are really well built basses that sound phenomenal. I honestly believe you get what you pay for. Also I've seen a lot of up and coming bands take the Deluxe P basses on tour and I have to agree that they're a solid workhorse. There's some nice stuff in the Artist series too.
In the end it's all down to personal preference. You might pick up a PB-70 and like it more than a American Deluxe, or a grab a Roadworn and think it sounds better than the Custom Shop. You could try 50 American Standards and only like a couple of them.
Happy new year to you too mate
What exactly is wrong with the mim basses that are duds? I've owned several mim basses and guitars and I never noticed anything like warped necks, cracks etc, what are things any of you have actually found to make a shoddy model?
I've played a lot of Standards with really shitty fretwork for starters. Then there's stuff like dodgy finishing, shit wiring and etc. Just google around a bit. You'll find some good stories.
Does anyone know if they've started shielding the control cavities yet? My 2006 Standard Jazz wasn't but my old Squier VM Jazz was.
Quote by consecutive e
I've played a lot of Standards with really shitty fretwork for starters. Then there's stuff like dodgy finishing, shit wiring and etc. Just google around a bit. You'll find some good stories.
Does anyone know if they've started shielding the control cavities yet? My 2006 Standard Jazz wasn't but my old Squier VM Jazz was.

I've never seen one that was shielded (my tele is a 2008). I think maybe I was just lucky, but never seen a bad one. I never tried a mexican bass/guitar except the ones I ended up keeping, which were always white or black (hard to screw up), no fret/neck issues, and usually never had an electronics issue (but I do rewire my own stuff usually). On the subject of bad soldering, I helped a friend with his stock gibson SG, that thing was crammed with big wires held on by gobs upon gobs of solder and not very tidy.

Are Japanese Fenders always good quality? I like never see them here in Austin, except the occasional old squier and my mustang. I think from what I've read the mustang comes standard unshielded, 250k pots and .1pf cap, which explains my growing distaste (prefer 500k and small caps). The build quality though is stunning, I particularly like the neck and finish although a lot of people complain about it being sticky. Personally I can't feel anything sticky.
Quote by askrere
What exactly is wrong with the mim basses that are duds? I've owned several mim basses and guitars and I never noticed anything like warped necks, cracks etc, what are things any of you have actually found to make a shoddy model?

Often I think it's just an indefinable thing. I've played some that just feel cheap and don't play or sound nice, despite new strings/a decent set-up... where-as some of them play and sound great.

As for MIJ build quality, I have far more experience with their guitars than their basses, but I've never played a bad one. They seem to be consistently solid across the board... perhaps it's just the Japanese work ethic.
I have an epiphone ripper reissue. I would not recommend buying without playing first, it sits quite awkwardly on your leg because of how it balances and it's very big and heavy. It does sound fantastic and the neck is very similar to a P bass in shape but with a flatter fretboard profile. I personally like it very much. If you want to hear how it sounds there's a sound clip on my profile.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
^ I knew someone round here had a ripper! The wood, pups and general size make it seem my kinda thing, but playing a strat and a jazz copy means the neck might be an interesting change.....Hopefully I'll be able to find one at DV247 in Birmingham when I go back to uni nearby. I'll have a listen to that, thanks very much.