So I've been playing bass for about six months now. I'm making some decent progress, but I feel like I'm stuck. I jam with my buddies at least every week, but we always work on the same stuff and I'm feeling like I'm not getting where I need to be. The same with when I practice. I feel like I'm not making any progress outside of the half-dozen songs we jam on. Any ideas? Help me out here, folks!
I'm not a bassist, but when I get to a plateau I usually look for new techniques, or different styles. If you don't have lessons that is also something to consider?
....learn some new shit?

But for real get into theory, who knows, you might love it and theres enough to keep you busy for a long time, as well as making you a better musician. Also challenge yourself, try and learn some more difficult stuff, keep raising the bar
I've tried that. I can't seem to figure out how to apply stuff. I'm into theory, but when I try to use it I seem to get lost worse than I already am.
Get some direction. Find a good teacher that can help you apply everything to your playing, it worked wonders for me.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
Get some direction. Find a good teacher that can help you apply everything to your playing, it worked wonders for me.

this may be the better (if not the only) answer to your problem. get a teacher, people study because it's useful. seriously.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Teachers are the way to go. Along with that...

1. take up drums or at least a percussive instrument. It will help you in the bass department.
2. Go out and see some live music. Its amazing how much that can move you into a new direction.
3. Stop playing for a few days to a week. Sometimes, a break can help you gain perspective and give you a fresh start.
Go on youtube and find amazing bassists that are better than you. Set a goal for yourself to play like them. Work hard. Possibly even leave the band you're in if they are holding you down. You may become a better musician in a different band.
Main Basses:
Warwick RB Corvette 5
Douglas Sculptor 825 NA Fretless 5

Main Rig:
Sansamp>GK Backline 600>2 GK BLX 210 Cabinets
Quote by anarkee

1. take up drums or at least a percussive instrument. It will help you in the bass department.
2. Go out and see some live music. Its amazing how much that can move you into a new direction.
3. Stop playing for a few days to a week. Sometimes, a break can help you gain perspective and give you a fresh start.

superb advice right there.

You didn't mention it, but you said you jam on a half dozen songs only. A lot of people come here or the guitar section, and say hell i am ___ and I am a (rocker, hardcore, alt player) and I want to know what I should play.

I never understood why people would want to pigeon hole themselves before they even actually play. A teacher teaches, but new music preaches. Even a night of pandora unlocks a lot of doors, and new ideas.
Quote by askrere

You didn't mention it, but you said you jam on a half dozen songs only. A lot of people come here or the guitar section, and say hell i am ___ and I am a (rocker, hardcore, alt player) and I want to know what I should play.

I never understood why people would want to pigeon hole themselves before they even actually play. A teacher teaches, but new music preaches. Even a night of pandora unlocks a lot of doors, and new ideas.

Quote by anarkee

+1 to all
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by askrere

Agreed. Pigeonholing is one of the biggest mistakes a musician can make IMHO.
^especially for a bassist. The fact is that the bass to guitar ratio is always going to be low and bands are always looking for a good competent bass player. I've played everything from jazz, classic rock, blues, funk, country and Motown because someone needed a bass player. And the cool thing is that even though I may not have been drawn to the music I've been asked to play at first, I always take away some bit of knowledge and experience from every gig and opportunity.
It's funny that I wrote this about a week before I reached my next plateau. I broke through that, but about a week ago my band booted me. I'm cool with it (especially since our guitarist is a dick), and I've got new jam buddies I'm going to start working with. Thanks for the advice. I actually did a lot of it beforehand. I learn from instruction really well. Thanks for the tips, all. Keep rockin'!
Listening to the radio, and play along to the songs is one of the best way to practice. Find the tonal center to the piece, and try to come up w/ new bass lines.
Learn new songs, PLAY WITH NEW PEOPLE, PLAY NEW SONGS WITH NEW PEOPLE, play new genres, practice your own shit harder, work on technique/speed

Plateaus are inevitable. You have to work harder to get through them and then one day you'll realize "Wow, I'm much, much better than I was 2 months ago."

Also, you'll run into days or weeks where you feel like things are clicking in your brain, these are the days you need to spend like twice the amount of time practicing because you'll absorb twice as much information and improve that much faster.

Use the time you have now, don't be at the point where you're thinking "Wow, I've been doing this for almost 10 years and I dont feel I'm anywhere lose to where I should be"
=/
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol