Hey
So, I have been really interested in building my own guitar latley. I play a mix of folk, folk rock, alt. country and wana do something different. I more so making this thread to get a whole bunch of different ideas.

-I read one thread on using Pine for the wood. What are the pros/cons of pine? Any other cool woods I could find at a lumber yard that would not cost me a huge amount?

-I wana do a cool shape, I Love tele's, but would love suggestions on some funky shapes that would fit with my style of music, aka, no points lol.

-if have any other suggestions, ideas, throw them at me! I am in a total pre planning phase and am open to a lot of ideas!

-would it be better to make my own neck, or order one? If it helps, my uncle is a master carpenter, so I would have his help!
1. Pine is a bright wood. Listen to sound samples of Classic Vibe Squier Teles and that is the sound of pine. It is kind of soft though. It can't take much abuse, but eh. Wear and tear is natural. Pine, poplar, and I believe cedar are the cheapest tone woods.

2. Maybe a thinline of some sort? Maybe not even Tele. A thinline Les Paul would be cool. Yamaha SG with F-holes? Just some ideas. (if I weren't building a pine Firebird right now, I'd suggest that...)

3. Bigsby. Dragonburst. Those are my consistent suggestions. Along with semi-hollow. Maybe prail pickups (it's P90, normal single coil, and humbucker in one!)

4. It depends how much faith you have in yourself. I'd recommend ordering your own. (hint: as far as hardware goes, it's MUCH cheaper to buy a cheap Rondo/GFS/whatever and rip the parts off that than to buy each part individually. I bought an Explorer for my build to take off the neck, bridge, and tuners instead of paying over $100 more to buy it all separately)
Quote by Wisthekiller
1. Pine is a bright wood. Listen to sound samples of Classic Vibe Squier Teles and that is the sound of pine. It is kind of soft though. It can't take much abuse, but eh. Wear and tear is natural. Pine, poplar, and I believe cedar are the cheapest tone woods.

2. Maybe a thinline of some sort? Maybe not even Tele. A thinline Les Paul would be cool. Yamaha SG with F-holes? Just some ideas. (if I weren't building a pine Firebird right now, I'd suggest that...)

3. Bigsby. Dragonburst. Those are my consistent suggestions. Along with semi-hollow. Maybe prail pickups (it's P90, normal single coil, and humbucker in one!)

4. It depends how much faith you have in yourself. I'd recommend ordering your own. (hint: as far as hardware goes, it's MUCH cheaper to buy a cheap Rondo/GFS/whatever and rip the parts off that than to buy each part individually. I bought an Explorer for my build to take off the neck, bridge, and tuners instead of paying over $100 more to buy it all separately)

Actually, I think it was your build that got me thinking of pine....lol, thanks for the imput
Order a neck from GFS with the paddle headstock. The biggest challenge of your first guitar is to actually finish it in working condition. The tools needed for making a neck just add another 3-400$ or so, when you can just buy a neck pre-made for 35$.
You don't want to overwhelm yourself with things. It also depends on how many tools you already have
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
If you want a good guitar then I wouldn't suggest ripping parts of a cheap guitar and using them, Consider the cheapest but most simple solution (you can get good sounding hard tail bridges without much trouble as opposed to a more expensive tremolo) also Tuners and bridges are something you should always get the best you can in the beginning because you cant really replace them later. If you really want to save cash you can cheap out on electronics and then swap them out later