I have a budget of about roughly $400 and I'd like to get close to a Weezer Blue Album tone. In terms of taste, I listen to a lot of alternative rock(Smashing Pumpkins,Pearl Jam,Pixies) and not big into classic rock/metal. I've done some research and I'm interested in the MIM Fender and SG G-400. I also live in Chicago if that helps.
does the $400 have to buy a guitar and an amp or just a guitar?

also for a fellow chicagoan!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
does the $400 have to buy a guitar and an amp or just a guitar?

also for a fellow chicagoan!

I will probably buy an amp later on but for now I will just buy a Guitarconnect cable so I can use Amplitube
My first guitar was a Yamaha Pacifica 012 and it was far superior to any other beginner guitar my peers had at the time. Still don't mind picking it up from time to time now.
go hit up guitar center and play every guitar under 400 and decide what you want. keep in mind to try and play it through an amp youll be using. i didnt try mine out before i bought it and I regret it..but luckily i liked it.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
go hit up guitar center and play every guitar under 400 and decide what you want. keep in mind to try and play it through an amp youll be using. i didnt try mine out before i bought it and I regret it..but luckily i liked it.

Unless he's already played that would be pretty much useless, because he would'nt know how to play anything. No offence though.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by Dr Sixstring
Unless he's already played that would be pretty much useless, because he would'nt know how to play anything. No offence though.

I have already played before on an acoustic. The only thing I should be unfamiliar with is any knobs or switches haha
Both of your choices will do fine. If you see yourself getting into different music, I think the strat will serve you better in the long run. ie. Better resale, and tons of pickup combos. Plus, you'll probably enjoy modding it more.

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew